The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2018, 04:04 PM   #1
Darthintel

1954 Chev 3100 Charging

Hello all,
I just purchased a 1954 Chev 3100 truck with all original running gear. Someone has installed a 12V battery, different voltage regulator, 12V headlights, but it still has the original generator.
The fuel gauge power has 2 ceramic voltage reducers on it and functions.
Also looks like the heater box has been replaced with a unit that has a fan for the cab heat, and a separate fan for the defrost.
Anyone know what this would be out of? Functions normally.

Now for my problem.
The previous owner just replaced the battery stating it was dead. When I started the engine, the amp meter shows slight discharge, and when I turn on the headlights, further discharge.
I took the field wire from the generator and touched to power. It sparked indicating the polarization is correct. I then started the engine and shorted the field to ground - measured -.5 on Armeture and field which was an indication that the generator was bad.
I purchased a new 6V generator, installed, and started the engine. Still a slight discharge on the amp meter and read 1.59V on armeture and field.

Questions: Is it possible to run the 6V generator and use a 12V regulator?
Do my results indicate a bad regulator?
I have heard of others running the 6V generator with a 12V regulator.

Current is current and I assume the amp meter should still show charging, knowing that it's possible the generator would need to run harder.
I'm perplexed.
Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Darthintel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:04 AM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: 1954 Chev 3100 Charging

If you have a 12 volt battery and a 6 volt generator I can't see how the generator can charge the battery. The amp meter is going to show the battery side higher than the alternator or that the generator isn't putting out enough volts to charge the battery.

It would be fairly easy to wire in a 12 SI internally regulated alternator and you would have to change all the lights to 12 volt. That starter would really zing and the heater motor might spin up a little but you can get resistors to drop the voltage down on them.

Have you talked to anyone in the pre 63 forums? Or the pre 55 forums.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:51 AM   #3
Darthintel

I have 1 more thing to try - and that is to polarize the new generator.
I doubt this will work with a 12V regulator.

The truck already has all the 12V lights, 12V heater fan motors, blinker flasher, 12 to 6v reducer for fuel gauge, 12V wiper motor, and a 12V battery installed.
Someone thought they could just install a 12V regulator and all is good. I don't think so.

I wanted to keep the all original look with the generator, and not willing to spend $499 on a original looking 12V alternator.

So the best solution in my case and the most cost effective would be to install the following:

GM 10SI two wire alternator
Alternator mounting bracket
DA plug with in line diode

Pretty simple to do and I'll get a much better electrical system and brighter lights.
Darthintel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:19 AM   #4
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

I remember that all chevys after 54 were 12 volt and they used a generator. I think that your 12 volt regulator will charge the fields in the generator you bought (6volt) enough to take care of the battery charging and the 12 volt lights and motors.It may not at idle but when you rev it up to drive it it should charge ok. It may shorten the life of the generator but it will last a year or more.

I would at least give it a try and if it don't work then you can use a 10 SI alternator,

Here's a video of the conversion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ac_KKrZ-eY

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote