The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #51
SS Tim

Re: The first year for two-tone paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOut View Post
I think I may have not painted my center (white) stripe high enough. I tried to estimate by looking at photos, but now that it's finished, I think it may be off by about an inch. This photo shows my measurement from the centerline of the front fender wheel well up to the edge of the stripe (where my molding will go. I have about 3 3/4 inches. Could someone with a factory two tone maybe measure theirs and let me know what they have at that same point?

It still needs wet sanded and holes drilled for the molding, but I'm going to wait to first make sure I have it painted correctly
Attachment 1298945

Attachment 1298946
OK damage control time.
Try looking for threads (like this http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=612113 ) on adding bodyside moldings lower (BX2) and belt (B85) with the site search box.
The lower is well defined and positioned by the body line it runs along. The upper is a bit more difficult as to location and the fact it curves down at the rear along the bedside and IIRC a little at the front as well. In the middle of a lot here but I will try and see what I can find out later. My assembly manual has all the layouts (short long and longhorn) but are measured from the factory waterline references which can be difficult to duplicate.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #52
FlameOut

Thanks Tim, that definitely helped, and shows me I'm about 1-1/4" off. Looks like I need to redo all the white on cab, one fender and one door

I'm going to have to read through those links again to see if I can figure the correct cutoff points on doors and cab

2004 Chevy Silverado Z71 Ext Cab 1500
1972 Chevy K-10 SOLD
1967 Chevelle SS
FlameOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #53
FlameOut

Just went and did some measurements. I think I may still be good on the door and cab. Was just way off on the fender.

The bottom of that blue tape is where the white needs to go up to. I just stuck that beat up trim on to see how it would look. Moving it also seemed to help with the optical illusion that the parking lamp stamping was off. The bottom trim certainly isn't in line with each other, but that must be normal. It's following the contour lines in the fender

Name:  20140907_170937_resized.jpg
Views: 1561
Size:  28.1 KB

Name:  20140907_172341_resized.jpg
Views: 1537
Size:  31.1 KB

1972 Chevy K-10 SOLD
1967 Chevelle SS
Old 09-09-2014, 08:21 AM   #54
FlameOut

I repainted to get the white correct, but my prep must have been bad. Some of the new paint peeled right off. I prepped by wet sanding with 800 on everything I was going to repaint. I thought that would be enough to scuff up the clear. I guess now I'll remove all of the white, te prime and paint. Time to buy more base and clear

1972 Chevy K-10 SOLD
1967 Chevelle SS
Old 09-17-2014, 11:27 AM   #55
data89

How come my SPID doesn't list a paint code? 69 stepside. It just lists the vinyl trim as blue. Yet the dash pad, steering col and wheel, seats, and instrument panel are black. The interior cab is white, the doors are white with blue panels (not turquoise), and blue panel back of the dash by the windshileld. The paint was so worn and faded, I couldn't be sure if it was white or turquoise. Same with the cowel, kind of a turquoise over white. None of the rubber had any kind of overspray or leakage on it (as though it was re-painted).
data89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:44 AM   #56
michael bustamante

Ok so i gotta chip in here. I have an oramge 67 short stepper with very few options but it does have a white top. .some board members here say that the pillars werent paintes to match the top till 68 but my w/shield pillars are painted white which looks to me all original. The white goes all the way down to the stainless trim underneath the back window. Door window frames are painted white as well. Truck has never been repainted that i can see
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2014, 05:21 PM   #57
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by data89 View Post
How come my SPID doesn't list a paint code? 69 stepside. It just lists the vinyl trim as blue. Yet the dash pad, steering col and wheel, seats, and instrument panel are black. The interior cab is white, the doors are white with blue panels (not turquoise), and blue panel back of the dash by the windshileld. The paint was so worn and faded, I couldn't be sure if it was white or turquoise. Same with the cowel, kind of a turquoise over white. None of the rubber had any kind of overspray or leakage on it (as though it was re-painted).
Sometimes and not very often I will find a SPID without a paint code. Most were IIRC white. Without a crystal ball or pictures its hard to say much about the progression of colors on your truck. But white with blue matching the SPID and the fact the upper dash is flat blue supports the SPID. As to the original color its just a matter of inspecting and sanding in most cases.
Vinyl trm partsd ar often changed as is paint both exterior and interior. Often though a color change can most easily be seen inside.

Several of your own posts support this being a white with blue vinyl truck too. If you have pictures of the truck and SPID post them up.

Last edited by SS Tim; 09-24-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #58
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
Ok so i gotta chip in here. I have an oramge 67 short stepper with very few options but it does have a white top. .some board members here say that the pillars werent paintes to match the top till 68 but my w/shield pillars are painted white which looks to me all original. The white goes all the way down to the stainless trim underneath the back window. Door window frames are painted white as well. Truck has never been repainted that i can see
Seem to remember this question on your truck coming up before.
IIRC the paint breaks suggested it was done at the dealer level or later. What does your SPID show for a paint code? Is it a slightly brighter white or does it match your front bumper?
Old 09-17-2014, 11:09 PM   #59
michael bustamante

Heres my spid
You got a good memory. I dont see why it couldnt have been painted at the dealer. Its the same white as the bumpers. All faded just like the bumpers too.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2014, 11:17 PM   #60
michael bustamante

I just remembered so i took a pic right away. I pulled my busted windshield out a couple weeks ago and noticed the pinch weld where the gasket goes is painted whit also. ( well most of the pinchweld anyways) that tells me that the white was from the factory maybe?
Theres no bodywork or bondo anywhere on the truck except on the right door by the rocker and all the orange is original. I didnt find any mutiple layers of paint so far
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #61
leftybass209

Quote:
I just remembered so i took a pic right away. I pulled my busted windshield out a couple weeks ago and noticed the pinch weld where the gasket goes is painted whit also. ( well most of the pinchweld anyways) that tells me that the white was from the factory maybe?
Theres no bodywork or bondo anywhere on the truck except on the right door by the rocker and all the orange is original. I didnt find any mutiple layers of paint so far
I'm not a good source for this info, but looking at this logically you have 1 of 2 things: an ultra - rare paint combo never offered or advertised from the factory, or- a dealer painted truck as mentioned above. Broken windows and the high availability of factory parts at the dealership would have made it easy to pull windows before painting. As I mentioned earlier in the thread- I'd be mad (as a buyer or dealer) if the new models came out with a more appealing paint job than what I had. Too easy to fix that with paint.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #62
SS Tim

Quote:
...have an oramge 67 short stepper with very few options but it does have a white top. .some board members here say that the pillars werent paintes to match the top till 68 but my w/shield pillars are painted white which looks to me all original. The white goes all the way down to the stainless trim underneath the back window. Door window frames are painted white as well. Truck has never been repainted that i can see
Quote:
Heres my spid
You got a good memory. I dont see why it couldnt have been painted at the dealer. Its the same white as the bumpers. All faded just like the bumpers too.
Quote:
... pulled my busted windshield out a couple weeks ago and noticed the pinch weld where the gasket goes is painted whit also. ( well most of the pinchweld anyways) that tells me that the white was from the factory maybe?
Your truck from what you have posted seems to be an exception and I really wish I knew the built date. Do you have the protect-o-plate for it or build sheet? On the SPID it clearly states the truck was painted 544 (514 Red and 526 Off White) from the factory. So we know it was painted at the factory with an off white roof (and matching trim/front bumper). The provided pictures also suggest the pillars were painted white at that time as well without any special paint notation.
See code and description from a shipper on a 12/21/66 truck pictured below.

Being as the truck also had an optional red interior thus red paint inside in 67 it all seems factory. Of course more and better pictures would be more defining. This leads me to believe it may have been a running change in early 67. Your serial number is relatively high but I do have two higher from Fremont in 67 extendng up to near 165000.

All I can say is document it well if you are planning on painting anything. The exterior is 514 Red and the 526 Off White. As it happens with the red interior the sheetmetal was the same red as the exterior with a darker flat red forward of the dash pad.

The light red, as most reds do, fades to a red-orange color so it will look a little different if painted as delivered.
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2014, 07:32 PM   #63
Mapearso

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOut View Post
Just went and did some measurements. I think I may still be good on the door and cab. Was just way off on the fender.

The bottom of that blue tape is where the white needs to go up to. I just stuck that beat up trim on to see how it would look. Moving it also seemed to help with the optical illusion that the parking lamp stamping was off. The bottom trim certainly isn't in line with each other, but that must be normal. It's following the contour lines in the fender

Attachment 1299085

Attachment 1299084
how did this turn out? about to start dealing with the same issue...
Mapearso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:34 PM   #64
monaco74

New to forums. Dealer from Texas repainting a 1969 C10 long bed. Know a fair amount about C10s but can't quite get a clear answer on the 2-tone paint. The option code is 537. Question is .... in addition to the roof, is the rocker area below the lower belt line also supposed to be white?? Thanks in advance for replies!
Attached Images

monaco74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:40 PM   #65
jocko

537 should be white top only, rest lt blue.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:56 PM   #66
monaco74

jocko - thank you!
monaco74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:56 PM   #67
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Ok so 68 two tone questions.
Old blue has a white roof and white grille, the newer bed on it appears to be gold under the blue.
But with a white grille and roof would the tailgate have been solid blue or ??
Old 08-03-2017, 10:36 PM   #68
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaco74 View Post
New to forums. Dealer from Texas repainting a 1969 C10 long bed. Know a fair amount about C10s but can't quite get a clear answer on the 2-tone paint. The option code is 537. Question is .... in addition to the roof, is the rocker area below the lower belt line also supposed to be white?? Thanks in advance for replies!
Jocko is right.
1969 Paint code 537 denotes a truck painted in the Conventional Two-Tone scheme of 507 Light Blue body color with a 521 White roof.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:47 PM   #69
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQQL IT View Post
Ok so 68 two tone questions.
Old blue has a white roof and white grille, the newer bed on it appears to be gold under the blue.
But with a white grille and roof would the tailgate have been solid blue or ??
The tailgate would be solid on a Two-Tone truck in 68 matching the primary body color. To be correct the "White" is actually code 526 Off White/ Ivory on the roof, grille and bumper if applicable.

Last edited by SS Tim; 08-03-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:13 AM   #70
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
The tailgate would be solid on a Two-Tone truck in 68 matching the primary body color. To be correct the "White" is actually code 526 Off White/ Ivory on the roof, grille and bumper if applicable.

Ok thank you. I was wondering. It' looks like a cst gate but is hammered.
When I get a replacement i wanted to paint it right, but also thought half white and blue would kinda match the grille and roof.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:03 AM   #71
SS Tim

Any trim level 68 pickup (solid or two-tone) has a solid paint tailgate, in most cases wth Off-White letters.
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2017, 01:27 AM   #72
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Any trim level 68 pickup (solid or two-tone) has a solid paint tailgate, in most cases wth Off-White letters.
Look what the cat dragged in
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:00 AM   #73
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Quote:

I know the bed doesn't belong to the truck nor the gate to the bed.
Or the trim for that matter.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2023, 02:23 AM   #74
CKfan

ttt
still all very interesting and relevant
CKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 10:08 AM   #75
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by data89 View Post
Does the SPID list special paint but no description or code? Could be a commercial fleet COPO type order. I had a '69 C/20 Stepside with no paint description or code. It was a light grey solid color not offered. The wheels were a dark red, even the spare, and there were factory chalk marks on the barrel area of the wheels.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote