The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2007, 11:50 PM   #1
sider68

Rustproofing

My truck is fairly nice.Powdwer coated frame new paint etc.What would you recommend for rustproofing that will protectbut not be messy.It will be a driver and only driven on nice days and stored inside.Please advise
sider68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:44 PM   #2
chris71

Re: Rustproofing

i guess i am a little confused as to what you are asking. are you asking for something to spray over existing paint, etc. for rust protection? or rust preventative primers? or methods of keeping the rust gremlins away? i think you mean the last one. i would say keeping your truck clean is number one. if mud and dirt builds up in the nooks and crannies underneath the truck, they collect and trap moisture and that starts rust. touch up any nicks, chips or scratches, since these usually take it down to metal, and moisture can rust that spot and spread or get under the surrounding paint. stay away from salt, dont know if they use salt on the roads there or you vist the coastline much, but salt speeds up the rust process alot. make sure the drain holes in your doors, cowl, etc are clean and not plugged up with paint/dirt. when rain hits your side glass it can get down in the door and these drains help it "drain" and keep it dry. if you have a nice garage and a nice truck, you may even consider a dehumidifier for the garage, some may think its overkill but a truck in a dehumidified garage for year after year has to make some difference. stay out of the rain as much as you can. some times you just cant prevent it, if there were small traces of rust in the metal when they painted over it, that rust will overtime come through, it may be 15 years though. i hope this answers your question, i am not aware of any chemicals or things to put on paint to keep rust from starting beside paint, clearcoat, and powder coating
'71 C10 long-bed fleetside
'83 long-haired brunette wife
chris71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:20 AM   #3
sider68

I was looking for some sort of rust proofing for underneath than wasnt all gooey and trap dirt so my ride still looked good but was protected.It was redone about 3 months ago and I dont ever want to do it again.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:45 AM   #4
Kim57

When I finally get mine done I'm thinking of using the truck bed liner material like Rhino or something similar. Some guys have used it with good results.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:49 AM   #5
sider68

I,m thinking of a clear type or maybe try that electric thing thats suppose to work.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:10 AM   #6
chris71

not trying to be a pain here but that electric rust proofing sounds too good to be true. if you dont want rust, just have to keep it away from salt, dirt and more importantly water. you cannot completely stop rust, its chemistry, its like trying to reverse gravity. thats what clear coat is as well, its protection, not just a glossy finish. i have heard of some guys who go offroading with there trucks, they spray a baby oil solution on the underside of the truck, this way mud and grim wont really stick to it. the only problem is that it will atract dust, like from the road and then you have oily grit all over your underside. those bedliner type sprays are great but remember if there is any rust under the coating before you spray it wil just rust through anyway, or at least the metal will rust away and the coating will remain. alsothe metal can still rust from the underside and rust through from the other side. lets just say there was some rust under the coating and on the other side, it rusts, arent those coatings impervious to gas and such? how would you remove the coating to repair the section. im not an expert here, just giving my 2 cents, no offense to anyone,good luck whatever you end up doing
'71 C10 long-bed fleetside
'83 long-haired brunette wife
chris71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:33 PM   #7
55dude

a clearcoat has no pigment in it and that lowers the protection factor to almost zero. they/you should of had some rustproofing done when you redid the truck. time to make the decision "road king" or "trailer queen".
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:46 PM   #8
Knothead

I saw a thread on a product that was a sealer and rust converter (PR 15?) Looks good after application If you check in the paint & body section you may find better info
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:17 PM   #9
drunkbus

I knew a guy who would spray down the underside of his truck with WD-40. That would keep dirt and debris from sticking to the truck itself. After any offroad trips or just when it gets dirty the dirt will just wash off and then reapply a fresh coat of WD-40. It didn't seem to leave a greasy residue or anything once it dried and made for an easy cleanup.
drunkbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:59 PM   #10
mtburg71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
I saw a thread on a product that was a sealer and rust converter (PR 15?) Looks good after application If you check in the paint & body section you may find better info
Yes, the PR15 is a rust inhibator and is a prime. This may be an option for the undercoating.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:07 PM   #11
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkbus View Post
I knew a guy who would spray down the underside of his truck with WD-40. That would keep dirt and debris from sticking to the truck itself. After any offroad trips or just when it gets dirty the dirt will just wash off and then reapply a fresh coat of WD-40. It didn't seem to leave a greasy residue or anything once it dried and made for an easy cleanup.
I know guys that do that with their wheel wells...but they use armorall.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote