The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2017, 03:15 PM   #26
SCOTI

Re: Time Out: 70 El Camino Side Project

So back to this one. I was hoping to have some better pictures of the 'original' interior but we didn't have many saved. To show a true comparison of where it was vs the revised, look closely @ the pass side door panel. The original interior quality was very similar to this door panel. Crudely put together w/o much attention to visual appeal.....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:16 PM   #27
SCOTI

Here is the 'after' version....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 04-09-2017, 03:22 PM   #28
SCOTI

The same focus was put toward everything else. The seats were recovered, an a/c dash was cleaned, prepped, dyed, & swapped in.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-09-2017, 03:24 PM   #29
SCOTI

The console was cleaned, prepped, & color matched. Fresh sound proofing, jute, & correct loop carpeting was installed. 3pt seat belts were purchased/installed. A new era correct headliner was installed. It really looked period fresh & muscle car correct when complete....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-09-2017, 03:26 PM   #30
SCOTI

It turned out very nice....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-09-2017, 03:35 PM   #31
SCOTI

Once the interior was mostly complete (cosmetics & poor wiring corrected), he started driving the Camino to school & the old muscle car was a hit among classmates & adults. Unfortunately not long after he started driving it again, he was leaving a church event when something happened. Another member @ the church did not see him & backed out of a space as he rolled by....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-09-2017, 03:44 PM   #32
SCOTI

Luckily it was a slow speed impact so there were no injuries (other than the other drivers pride). Insurance stepped up but once again the Camino was in limbo for repairs.

As it turns out, this was a blessing. By far, the worst area of this vehicle was that rear passenger quarter. There was an obvious repair done previously.... well, poorly done. Now the damage was replaced w/a re-pop quarter skin & the door was repaired. I welded up some trim holes on the tailgate & we brought it to the body shop so they could prep it w/the damaged areas.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #33
SCOTI

The entire pass side & tailgate was prepped & paint matched as close as possible to the rest. They did a very nice job....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-09-2017, 03:52 PM   #34
SCOTI

They've been struggling w/performance consistency since it's been back on the road. MPG's are bad. It runs rich w/the carb leaned out as much as possible (generic Holley). Stalls frequently. So the call was made & an order placed for a spec built Q-jet for his combo. We'll swap it in place & replace the vacuum booster as it is leaking so we feel the internal leak is a vacuum related issue & should be corrected for better tuning.

Carb has arrived & he should have the booster this week so we'll bring it back over to my place for the swap & update the tuning.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-09-2017, 05:01 PM   #35
Advanced Design

Wow, a lot going on with the ElCamino. It came out very nice...anyone would be pleased to drive that one. Too bad about the damage though repairs came out nice. Did the owner help?

Where did the door panel come from? Looks really good!
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:10 PM   #36
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I had a similar issue with a Q-Jet, my issue was a fuel pump that was putting out ~14lbs pressure. Put a new correct one and it ran better and fuel economy improved tremendously.
Just a thought.
I love Elco's and you have a nice one there!!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:31 PM   #37
Shady Rascal

Scoti. Great thread. I suspect that I know one of the previous owners of that car. Back in 1991-1994 I went to A&P school in Fort Worth with a guy that had, I believe, that car. Sunroof and everything.
Shady Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:59 PM   #38
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Rascal View Post
Scoti. Great thread. I suspect that I know one of the previous owners of that car. Back in 1991-1994 I went to A&P school in Fort Worth with a guy that had, I believe, that car. Sunroof and everything.
Very possible then...
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 05-23-2017, 10:31 AM   #39
SCOTI

Time for updates....

It seems there was more going on than just the generic Holleys issue. It was not just the carb. Turns out the el-cheapo notebook paper thin carb to intake gasket blew partially apart @ one point (most likely during one of it's backfires). It was actually split @ 3 different points.

Unfortunately, after swapping the Q-jet over, it still didn't seem to have the power I/we expected. It ran.... but not like a typical 350 should power wise (my 245k 6cyl/5spd 90swb had more acceleration get-up & go). After playing w/things we ran out of time so left it as is to think it through.

A buddy of mine suggested another pass through the ignition circuit. This was where we found the other items. It turns out we weren't getting any advance from the distributor. The vacuum advance canister was dead & we found the mechanical advance cams stuck. A new adjustable advance canister was swapped in place & I cleaned up the advance cams + added new springs.

What a difference. Now it pulls like a 350 should. It still needs other items addressed to be optimum but for a DD it's running the best it ever has. Future 'wants' are 3.42 or 3.55 gears, possible converter change, & an OD trans.

Last exterior item addressed was the bed area. It had a vinyl bed cover @ one point. But when the pass rear quarter was replaced, the snap bases were removed. The debate was clean up the drivers side & go w/a nice 'in-bed' solid frame cover or drill the new quarter for new snaps. This was a tough decision but ultimately the budget dictated another vinyl cover.

My buddy whipped it out over a weekend & right on time for Senior pictures.....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG