The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #326
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Re: It’s Just A Pickup

well I'm glad you post this. I was going to get the Magnaflow system but it looks like...to run the exhaust through the frame (lowered truck)... would take a lot of modification.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:29 PM   #327
Bruce88

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom View Post
well I'm glad you post this. I was going to get the Magnaflow system but it looks like...to run the exhaust through the frame (lowered truck)... would take a lot of modification.
I would have to agree.
I tucked this exhaust as close to the frame as I could because my truck is lowered 2-1/2 inch front drop spindles and 4 inch drop springs in the rear. Any lower than this I think it would be a good idea to run it thru the frame and this exhaust kit just would not be suitable with out major modification so a custom exhaust would probably be more of a advantage and cost less in the long run.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:57 PM   #328
sourkraut

great work bruce! wait till you hear the magnas with the x-pipe, it is awesome!

sourkraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #329
Bruce88

Sometimes the instructions are lacking, not existent or not compiled together in one place
There maybe the questions as to what the instructions said, omitted steps, what do I do next, or maybe just why am I doing this step.

I always like to see instructions that I would call the (KISS) system (Keep It Simple Stupid) with plenty of pictures. When bringing together a number of parts from different manufactures to accomplish a task and their instructions don’t seem to work together, there’s always the possibility there not going to or will need modification in order to work and they just didn’t think about that or wanted to address it.

The installations of a 700R4 transmission in or trucks seems to be a popular modification, but there’s plenty of confusion about the TV cable setup that may prevent some from wanting to do this transmission installation. If you break the setup into small chunks/steps this may help in eliminating some of the major confusion.

First you have to determine what engine the installation is going to be used on. This installation is going on a SB Chevy, carbureted engine, that was not setup for a 700R4 transmission with a TV Cable (not a computer controlled 700R4 or fuel injected engine).

I took some screen shots from different web sites and have modified some of them for clarity/understanding (more than I will list here) hope they don’t mind (smile). Here are some links to some of the instructions that I used to help compile this post. http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Bui...-TH-700R4-4L60 you will find a PDF file (Installation Instructions Transpak Part Number 70235) See page 12 & 13. And http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Inst...ble_adjust.htm

One of the steps is to create a attach point for the TV cable to the throttle lever on the carburetor. Your carburetor probably doesn’t have a hole for this; the hole would have to meet the geometry shown in the instruction figures and all the measurements they talk about is to assure that it meats those requirements. (I highlighted the measurements in blue in the below picture) The simple way to meet all the geometry requirements is to obtain a (TV Cable Bracket Corrector Kit) their made for many carburetors. Rochester, Edelbrock, and Holley from a number of different sources I happen to be using one by Sonnax Performance (part # AS3-03K) for Edelbrock/Carter Carburetors.

One thing you might have to change on the corrector kit is the throttle cable end. Their made for a clip-on throttle cable and may need to be changed to a ball-type throttle cable stud depending on what kind of throttle you have. I had to change mine to ball-type and decided to use the upper hole that worked better with my throttle bracket. I also had to trim my throttle bracket to clear the corrector lever (just peculiar to my throttle bracket).

Name:  TV-Cable.gif
Views: 55504
Size:  28.7 KB

Name:  TV-Cable-2.jpg
Views: 29721
Size:  96.7 KB

Next is to locate the TV cable bracket in relationship to the attach point on the throttle lever, meeting the geometry requirements (highlighted in green in the above picture). There are loads of different brackets that you may have, most will require some kind of modification to work. Just because the bracket you buy or use say that it fits a 700R4 TV cable doesn’t mean that it locates it in the correct location. The opening in the bracket for the TV cable is the same for a 350 transmission or a 700R4 transmission but are located in different positions depending on what transmission you are using. I used a ½ inch X 1-1/2 inch X 3-1/2 inch long aluminum block that I drilled and tapped some holes in to attach it to my throttle bracket moving it outboard and down to meet the correct geometry. If you’re using a steel bracket you might have to cut it to locate the opening then weld it or fabricate a complete bracket to do the job. As far as how far aft the bracket should be located I would say a minimum of 2 inches aft of the attach point to lets say 6 inches aft of the attach point as long as you maintain the 90 degree angle on the cable with the throttle lever attach point straight down from the throttle shaft (reference the 55 degree angle in the first picture)

This is the hardest part of the installation with so many different brackets out there and you will have to figure out how to make it work. This geometry relationship is important and needs to be maintained for everything to work right. So take your measurements and figure out if the bracket mounting location needs to be moved and figure out how to do it. You never know your bracket may not need any modification (I kind of doubt it). The installation definitely gets simpler from this point forward (smile)

Before someone jumps in and says that my throttle cable is not a straight pull in the below picture. The throttle cable pull is not as critical as the TV cable geometry and with the ball-type attachment and it being a cable it will compensate just fine for the less than straight pull.

Name:  TV-Cable-3.jpg
Views: 15358
Size:  99.2 KB

With there being so many different TV cables, with different lengths, I would recommend using a universal TV cable that can be adjusted and it will not dictate the mount location. You can find one at Summit Racing or JEG’S mine came with my TCI 700R4 transmission package.

One step/instruction missing was on setting the universal TV cable length. First attach the cable down at the transmission and secure with a metric bolt. Then press the reset tab on the auto adjuster and push the slider in flush with the adjuster (see the first picture in this post) pressing the reset tab and pushing the slider flush with the adjuster can be done after the adjuster is installed in the bracket it’s just simpler now. Now install the adjuster in the bracket. Slide the inner tube on the TV cable housing in or out to get the best fit not riding on anything or to tight riding on the trans or eng. Then slide the inner tube out about a ½ inch and tighten the locking nuts (the ½ inch that you move it out is to allow the auto adjuster to move forward). Once the nuts are tightened you will not be able to adjust the cable housings length again, there is a compression sleeve inside the nuts that will crimp down onto the inner tube. This tube has to be locked before the auto adjuster will work correctly.

Another missing step. Is where to set the adjustable cable sleeve stop on the cable before moving the throttle to wide open throttle? With the cable thru the plastic cable clip, slide the sleeve stop up to the clip (throttle should be at the idle position). Now pull the cable so that the stop is approximately ¾ of an inch away from the clip then slide the stop to the clip and tighten the set screw (you can release the cable now). I would call this a pre-set position; the ¾ inch dimension is just approximate it could be any where between ½ inch to 1 inch. This pre-set position is needed for the cable auto adjuster to work

The adjustable cable sleeve stop you see in the pictures is a custom one that I made out of some 3/8 HEX stock and some set screws. The adjustable cable sleeve stop that comes with the universal TV cable will work just fine but I wanted something a little more custom.

Name:  TV-Cable-4.jpg
Views: 12860
Size:  96.9 KB

A quick review before I move the throttle to wide open throttle and let the auto adjuster do its work and do the final adjustment/setting of the TV cable.

(1)The attach point on the throttle lever meets the geometry requirements.
(2)The TV cable bracket is located to meet the geometry requirements.
(3)The slider on the auto adjuster is pushed in flush on the adjuster.
(4)The Universal TV cable length is set/locked to length.
(5)The adjustable cable sleeve stop is in the pre-set position.
(6)The carburetor choke is in the off position (not interfering with throttle going to WOT).
(7)The throttle return springs are removed (to make it easier to move the throttle).

If you can’t answer (Yes) to the above steps your not ready to do the final setting of the TV cable.

Of course I answered yes to all the above (smile) Now move the throttle to the WOT position. You might hear some clicking from the slider moving forward on the auto adjuster. After you move the throttle to the WOT position the slider should have moved forward from the flush position it was set to prior (there’s no dimension that it needs to move just that it moves forward). The TV cable is now adjusted/set; there are no other adjustments that need to be done. If the slider on the auto adjuster did not move forward in this step try increasing the pre-set dimension of the cable sleeve stop.

I did not try to address using a factory TV cable because there are so many and each one requires their own specific auto adjuster mounting bracket to a specific carburetor and there is normally no way to set the cable sleeve stop (the cable stop is normally swedged on the cable, not adjustable). If you want a factory installation you need to get the carburetor, mounting bracket, and TV cable for that specific set up.

I also did not try to address a Lokar style custom TV cable installation because I’m not doing that installation and would not have any pictures and where all the geometry requirements talked about would apply, the final cable setting is a little more complicated because it doesn’t use an auto adjuster. Trying to keep it simple (smile)

For those that are interested the throttle bracket and TV cable bracket that I used and had to modify was from JEG’S part number 15152 & 15229 .

Now the only question I have is where to post this in the forum. I think the above information would be useful along with the installation instruction listed in the beginning of this post to any one that’s trying to set up a 700R4 TV cable on a carbureted engine. It is part of my build and could be of benefit to the general forum members so I’m posting in my build thread and will create a link to it in the FAQ section.

Hope you find it beneficial in understanding and doing a TV cable install

Now that I’ve been lying around long enough to let my body recover/rest from the last few weeks work on the truck I need to get out there and work on it (smile)
Enjoy your build
Old 06-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #330
VA72C10
VA72C10

Awesome writeup as usual. I could have benefited with this when I had TV adjustment issues with my 80Z28 with a 700R4. Tried several brackets and cables available at the time (1997) but never got the shift I wanted even though the tranny was built right and built for firm shifts. Still drove it for 2 yrs and 30K miles but never LOVED the way it shifted.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:18 AM   #331
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce88 View Post

Now the only question I have is where to post this in the forum. I think the above information would be useful along with the installation instruction listed in the beginning of this post to any one that’s trying to set up a 700R4 TV cable on a carbureted engine. It is part of my build and could be of benefit to the general forum members so I’m posting in my build thread and will create a link to it in the FAQ section.
Great write up. I copied this to the FAQ forum- 700r4 TV cable install (Carb Motor) LINK

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 06-21-2010 at 10:18 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #332
Bruce88

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Great write up. I copied this to the FAQ forum- 700r4 TV cable install (Carb Motor) LINK
Thanks N2TRUX

I did create a thread in the general FAQ section (700R4 TV cable setup on a carbureted engine) with a link to this post/build thread. Was trying not to wasting forum space in double posting.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:09 AM   #333
nuke1

Looking great! Great write up, very informativce as usual!!
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:56 PM   #334
C-10 Addict

your pics and text would have been a great help on my install .I think we kind of get caught up in buying things that are supposed to fit and then don't fit right without modification.I got so frustrated with my cable bracket i ended up making my own to get it to fit. Again thanks for pointing out that lots of times we need to be prepared to modify things to get them to work on each individual application. Keep up the great work!
C-10 Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #335
BOZO
Old School

Subscribing to a great thread
#1 Project...69 Chevy swb Fleetside (Dad's truck)
#2...1983 El Camino SS (Choo Choo Custom)
#3...1974 Datsun truck (4.3L V6/4L60E)
#4...1951 Cadillac Limo (1975 Caddy running gear)
#5...1938 Dodge M38 3/4 ton Military truck
#6...1968 Sportster XLCH trail bike
5 GMC & Chevy parts trucks 68 to 72
Last but not least;
My 1978 Harley Davidson Electraglide
(trusted & reliable companion for the last 30 years)
BOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #336
DorianB

Thanks Bruce for such great details. This is an advanced class in all the things I want/need to do to my truck!!!!
DorianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #337
msgross

very cool build... nice detail on the pictures.
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #338
Bruce88

The long and short of it
Still tying things together and one of them is the driveshaft

The biggest problem that I’ve seen in the past in having a custom driveshaft made is easily overcome. It’s communication with the driveshaft shop prior to taking measurements; you could say being on the same page or not having any misunderstandings that can lead to the driveshaft being the wrong length or asking them to do something outside their capabilities. Once it’s made it’s too late to correct problems because it doesn’t fit right. Each driveshaft shop may take their measurements from different reference points, not to say that any one way to measure is better than another and they may have suggestions in overcoming other problems.

The driveshaft shop that I’m using had a nice little pamphlet in where to take the measurements from and also had a solution to the different yokes I was using between the transmission and the original driveshaft yoke. The simplest way to explain the difference between the yokes is the transmission yoke used inside retainer clips to hold the u-joint caps and the driveshaft yoke used clips on the outside of the u-joint caps. Decided to use a combo joint to solve the problem (part number 5-3022X Spicer or 3-3130 Neapco) that can be used to couple the two different yokes together.

This is not a high performance driveshaft installation it falls into the range of shorting the front driveshaft by approximately 3 inch’s because I’m using a 700R4 transmission and what I would say is minor rear suspension drop of 4 inch. Before someone asks what my exact measurements are I’m not going to be giving them, each truck could be a little different and that’s why it’s called a custom driveshaft (smile) you will need to take your own.

Name:  Driveshaft-1.jpg
Views: 10545
Size:  99.7 KB

Name:  Driveshaft-2.jpg
Views: 11109
Size:  93.2 KB

I think that this driveshaft will meet all my plans for the truck uses
Enjoy your build
Old 07-01-2010, 01:23 PM   #339
VA72C10
VA72C10

You'll be rolling in no time now
Old 07-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #340
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

I don't understand why some SWB trucks have a 2 piece shaft... and other SWB's have a 1 piece?

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #341
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

thats a 1 piece isnt it?..

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:48 PM   #342
Bruce88

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom View Post
I don't understand why some SWB trucks have a 2 piece shaft... and other SWB's have a 1 piece?
I really don’t know why, but it might have something to do with this truck being a standard light duty ½ ton and the more heavy duty trucks would have a one peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
thats a 1 piece isnt it?..
No that’s a two piece driveshaft there’s a u-joint just aft of the support bearing mount
Old 07-02-2010, 08:15 AM   #343
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Bruce....are the yokes about a half turn out of phase?

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:47 PM   #344
Bruce88

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcburdic View Post
Bruce....are the yokes about a half turn out of phase?
Not exactly sure what you are talking about, it might be just an optical allusion or that the transmission yoke is out of phase with the differential yoke. With a one piece driveshaft the transmission and differential yokes should be in phase. But this is a two piece driveshaft and with a standard u-joint between the front and rear shaft, the transmission and differential yokes will be 90 degrees out of phase with each other.

Hears a picture that you might be able to see it a little better

Name:  Driveshaft-3.jpg
Views: 12436
Size:  39.8 KBName:  Driveshaft-4.jpg
Views: 7439
Size:  29.7 KB
Old 07-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #345
propanemudtruck
Local Redneck Authority

That's Purty.

The exhaust, the frame, the EVERYTHING looks so perfect and it's an absolute masterpiece.

Once again, nice work Bruce!

four on the floor feel the beat in your soul
movin to the rhythym pumpin til ya cant take no more
dance if you want to do what you came to
you cant ignore the feeling of that four on the floor
propanemudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:43 PM   #346
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by propanemudtruck View Post
That's Purty.

The exhaust, the frame, the EVERYTHING looks so perfect and it's an absolute masterpiece.

Once again, nice work Bruce!
Yep, it almost looks too nice to actually use!

Nice descriptions as always!
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #347
leemer4

Nice Build - Great work and description on your work - really helped me out. Thanks!
leemer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:47 PM   #348
jojo
printing is my trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Yep, it almost looks too nice to actually use!

Nice descriptions as always!
I agree.

With all the love going into that thing, I'd put it on an enclosed trailer and never even roll it off!

Bruce if they built these trucks like that back in the day, they would have costed 30k-40k brand new(as we all know, in the 70's thats a lot of coin)
Old 07-18-2010, 10:25 PM   #349
Bruce88

Possibly did more modification/re-design than was needed
The stock emergency brake was wore out and needed to be replaced and it all started in small steps of modification till I ended up with what you will see below

It all started with picking up a complete parking brake cable set from Inline Tube (E-Strength cables) part number BST6901 Stainless Steel. Installing it in the stock configuration and seeing a few small things that I decided to address.

The stock cable guide grommet needed to be replaced didn’t look to hard on the internet to find a stock replacement when I ran across what I would call a suitable substitute down at Home Depot in a conduit fitting that will work with minor modification. (see picture below)

One of the cable control arm bracket clips was missing on the old cable when I took it apart. I can see why because the clips on the new cables didn’t hold the cable end in the brackets very good. With the cable having a bend to go out to the backing plate the clip looked like it was at the point where it would pop out of the groove. Found some stainless steel two-piece clamp-on shaft collars that would hold the cable housing flush to the bracket and secure. For those that might want to use the collars instead of the clips, I did have to remove about 1/16 of a inch on the collars width so the rubber boot would fit and I would install the collar on the cable housing at the bracket before running the cable out to the backing plate.

Where the cable and tension rod go over the transmission cross member it was just steel to steel contact, this is normal regardless what cross member you use. But I don’t like to see steel to steel contact on moving parts normally in this situation, so I put some ¼ hose that I split to get over the cable and tension rod at this point to give it a little cushion.

The E-Brake cable system configuration has been working well for years on our trucks with the guide rods and cable slip fittings. I’ve seen on other vehicles where they have used pulleys instead and decided to incorporate some hear. Fabricated some pulley brackets out of some 14 gauge stainless steel and picked up some pulleys from McMaster-CARR. Ill let you decide if this is a little bit of an over design to the system, because it’s just a pickup, but I don’t mind being different (smile).

Name:  E-Brake-1.jpg
Views: 7173
Size:  98.9 KB
Name:  E-Brake-2.jpg
Views: 7782
Size:  89.6 KB
Name:  E-Brake-3.jpg
Views: 7723
Size:  97.9 KB

Finished adding some accessories to the engine like the alternator, power steering pump, pulleys, fan, starter, and trans cooler lines.

Items/part numbers not called out prior on this build thread

1318 – 18 inch Flex Fan by Flex-a-lite

3509-GR – GM High Performance Gear Reduction Starter from ENOS Custom Components
(This starter is for a auto trans with a 153 tooth ring gear)
(Another part number for this starter #6470)

CTT7105 – 700R4 Trans cooler lines from Inline Tube
(Lines have been modified to fit my needs)

Just a tip put a little white paint line at the 0 degree point on the damper it definitely helps in setting the timing. Especially for some one like me with old eyes (smile)

I made a bracket at the front of the engine to support the trans cooler lines and cut them shorter and will be using some rubber tube to connect to the cooler lines on the radiator.

The gear reduction starter is smaller in diameter than a stock starter and because I’m using a 153 tooth ring gear theirs plenty of clearance between the starter and the block and exhaust (a help in preventing starting problems from a hot starter). They also make one of theses starters for a 168 tooth ring gear that is probably more common trans flex plate. The one down side to this starter is that it’s not recommended for engines with a compression ratio above 9 to 1.

Name:  Fan-and-Belts.jpg
Views: 7251
Size:  95.8 KB
Name:  Starter-and-Trans-lines.jpg
Views: 7235
Size:  98.9 KB

I’m as far along with all the things that can be installed on the frame with out installing the body. It’s been a nice little break from working on the cab but Ill be back working on the cab finishing up some small items before it’s sent off to body and paint.

I haven’t finalized who is going to do the body and paint. Still looking for some one and any recommendations from forum members in the Everett, WA area would be appreciated. Personal recommendations would defiantly be an advantage. Not looking for the cheapest or a totally custom body and paint somewhere in between.

Enjoy Your Build
Old 07-18-2010, 10:41 PM   #350
VA72C10
VA72C10

Thanks again for the detailed pictures....really like that E-brake setup....always thought they were under-engineered and ugly. Yours looks good and will function better as well.