The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2018, 02:50 PM   #1
72c20customcamper

Pulley misalignment 350.

Ok so I replaced the flex fan on my new to me c20. On inspection I noticed the crank to water pump pulley was out of alignment. The water pump is perfect to the alternator. Had to shim the ps pump to lime it up. But it's off a good amount.
Attached Images

72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:02 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Pulley misalignment 350.

If parts were swapped from different engines that may be the reason. I've had quite a bit of problems with mixing and matching with these GM motors. The best bet is to take everything in front of an engine that already has what you need. This includes all the pulleys, mounting brackets and even the belts so you can get the correct ones. I've even gone so far as to remove the harmonic balancer and pulleys in the past. Good luck.

BTW: I took the liberty of lightening the pic for a better view.
Attached Images

I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:34 PM   #3
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

What year truck is this? Just curious as that is a "long" water pump with the alternator on the passenger side. If this is a 67-72, all of the V-8's came with a "short" water pump and alternator on the drivers side.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:50 PM   #4
72c20customcamper

It's a 72 but may have had a heart transplant st in time or snother
Old 07-28-2018, 11:22 PM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

People are always putting long water pumps in the '55-'72 trucks and often having troubles of some sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
What year truck is this? Just curious as that is a "long" water pump with the alternator on the passenger side. If this is a 67-72, all of the V-8's came with a "short" water pump and alternator on the drivers side.

Gary
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:55 AM   #6
72c20customcamper

If It's suppose to have a short water pump wouldn't the water pump pulley be in even further than the crank?

Last edited by 72c20customcamper; 07-29-2018 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Had it backwards.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:19 AM   #7
68gmsee

The year for long vs short water pump on short blocks have generally been all over the place. If you do a search you will find some saying long pumps started in 69 others say later years. The best thing to do is to find a used/junked short pump to see if it would work better for you.

As I mentioned, I have spent countless hours and trips to junk yards trying to mix and match in the past. I even put a want to buy ad for anyone that had an untouched short block that would be willing to sell all the parts off of it. No one answered the ad.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
Old 07-29-2018, 04:49 PM   #8
72c20customcamper

Well my plan is to weld a tab to where the alt bracket mounts to the intake and oblong the hole and add shims to the head,and water pump brackets. Then shim out the water pump pulley to match up
Old 07-29-2018, 05:10 PM   #9
Mike_The_Grad

You can buy water pump pulley shims. Moroso sells a kit that has a few different thicknesses of shims to install between the pulley and pump snout. Only costs a few bucks.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:40 PM   #10
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_The_Grad View Post
You can buy water pump pulley shims. Moroso sells a kit that has a few different thicknesses of shims to install between the pulley and pump snout. Only costs a few bucks.
Seen them but 20 cents of washers work too. Need between a 1/16 and an 1/8 .
Old 07-29-2018, 11:40 PM   #11
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

In the trucks the long water pumps started in 1973. In cars they started in 1969.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
The year for long vs short water pump on short blocks have generally been all over the place. If you do a search you will find some saying long pumps started in 69 others say later years. The best thing to do is to find a used/junked short pump to see if it would work better for you.

As I mentioned, I have spent countless hours and trips to junk yards trying to mix and match in the past. I even put a want to buy ad for anyone that had an untouched short block that would be willing to sell all the parts off of it. No one answered the ad.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:30 AM   #12
Mike_The_Grad

I have a 72 c10 with a 350, non a/c. The alternator was mounted to the drivers side exhaust manifold, power steering pump was mounted on the drivers side down low. It has a short water pump with a 2 groove water pump pulley. The harmonic balancer is 8" in diameter and has a 3 groove crankshaft pulley. The power steering pump pulley is a single groove pulley.

I say that the alternator WAS mounted to the driverside exhaust manifold because I installed a set of " Standard-Duty" Hedman Headers. And the original factory mounting bracket no longer works because of the headers design. I installed an aftermarket Header Mounted Alternator Support Bracket with upper alternator tensioner arm that uses the top bolt on the drivers side of the water pump.

Now, the power steering pump bracket on small block equipped 72 1/2 ton trucks are of the "Non-Adjustable" type. Of course you can adjust belt tension, but that's about it. Because the pump is sandwiched between the front and rear brackets you are really limited in the amount of shimming you can do to align the pumps pulley with the others. BUT, there are different offsets of power steering pump pulleys out there. And I'll give you some advice that will save you a lot of wasted time and frustration.

IF YOU PLAN ON KEEPING THE STOCK SETUP AS IT CAME FROM THE FACTORY, THAT IS: NOT ADDING COMPONENTS OR SUBSTITUTING NON FACTORY ACCESSORIES.

Then you MUST use the correct pulleys and brackets that came equipped for your trucks setup. The power steering pump pulley for '72 1/2 ton Non/AC, small block v8"s is the only pulley that will work with the factory setups. TRUST ME. It took me 2 years to figure it out. I bought who knows how many pulleys, NONE of them worked except for the pulley that had the same exact part number stamped into it as my original did. Which was an original GM power steering pump pulley. These pulleys were only used on 71-72 small block, non/AC, 1/2 tons and blazers. THATS IT.
No other GM applications on any other model year vehicles.

The alternator is mounted on the passenger side if you are running a long water pump, drivers side if short water pump. THERE ARE DIFFERENCES IN THE OFFSET OF THE PULLEY GROOVES BETWEEN THESE TWO SETUPS.
Powersteering pump belt aligns with the outermost crankshaft groove on a 3 groove crankshaft pulley and short water pump. Alternator belt aligns with the middle groove on 3 groove crankshaft pulleys and long water pump setups. Or A/C compressor pulley aligns with the middle groove in this setup. Alternator belt lines up with inner groove of 3 groove crankshaft pulley and short waterpump setups.

This info only applies to FACTORY setups with FACTORY ACCESSORIES.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:44 PM   #13
68gmsee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
In the trucks the long water pumps started in 1973. In cars they started in 1969.
That explains it. A lot of these trucks have had engines from cars installed and when people buy them they assume they came with the long pump.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:32 PM   #14
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_The_Grad View Post
I have a 72 c10 with a 350, non a/c. The alternator was mounted to the drivers side exhaust manifold, power steering pump was mounted on the drivers side down low. It has a short water pump with a 2 groove water pump pulley. The harmonic balancer is 8" in diameter and has a 3 groove crankshaft pulley. The power steering pump pulley is a single groove pulley.

I say that the alternator WAS mounted to the driverside exhaust manifold because I installed a set of " Standard-Duty" Hedman Headers. And the original factory mounting bracket no longer works because of the headers design. I installed an aftermarket Header Mounted Alternator Support Bracket with upper alternator tensioner arm that uses the top bolt on the drivers side of the water pump.

Now, the power steering pump bracket on small block equipped 72 1/2 ton trucks are of the "Non-Adjustable" type. Of course you can adjust belt tension, but that's about it. Because the pump is sandwiched between the front and rear brackets you are really limited in the amount of shimming you can do to align the pumps pulley with the others. BUT, there are different offsets of power steering pump pulleys out there. And I'll give you some advice that will save you a lot of wasted time and frustration.

IF YOU PLAN ON KEEPING THE STOCK SETUP AS IT CAME FROM THE FACTORY, THAT IS: NOT ADDING COMPONENTS OR SUBSTITUTING NON FACTORY ACCESSORIES.

Then you MUST use the correct pulleys and brackets that came equipped for your trucks setup. The power steering pump pulley for '72 1/2 ton Non/AC, small block v8"s is the only pulley that will work with the factory setups. TRUST ME. It took me 2 years to figure it out. I bought who knows how many pulleys, NONE of them worked except for the pulley that had the same exact part number stamped into it as my original did. Which was an original GM power steering pump pulley. These pulleys were only used on 71-72 small block, non/AC, 1/2 tons and blazers. THATS IT.
No other GM applications on any other model year vehicles.

The alternator is mounted on the passenger side if you are running a long water pump, drivers side if short water pump. THERE ARE DIFFERENCES IN THE OFFSET OF THE PULLEY GROOVES BETWEEN THESE TWO SETUPS.
Powersteering pump belt aligns with the outermost crankshaft groove on a 3 groove crankshaft pulley and short water pump. Alternator belt aligns with the middle groove on 3 groove crankshaft pulleys and long water pump setups. Or A/C compressor pulley aligns with the middle groove in this setup. Alternator belt lines up with inner groove of 3 groove crankshaft pulley and short waterpump setups.

This info only applies to FACTORY setups with FACTORY ACCESSORIES.
Thanks for the info but my truck is a 3/4 ton does it make a difference ? In regards to the pulleys.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:23 PM   #15
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

It makes absolutely no difference whether it is a 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 2wd or 4wd, the accessory drives are all interchangeable. Now if you were working on a Ford, that would be a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Thanks for the info but my truck is a 3/4 ton does it make a difference ? In regards to the pulleys.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:38 PM   #16
Mike_The_Grad

The only differences in setups depends on if it is a small block or big block