The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2004, 04:16 PM   #1
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

How to only raise front c20?

I've got a 72 c20 camper special. I would like to know how to raise just the front of the truck to even it out. I don't wanna play with the rear at all. I was thinking just taller springs and had heard of using some off of heavier trucks in the 67-72 year group. I really don't want to be bounced around any more than I allready am either. Thoughts, comments, suggestions, links appreciated.
Rich
Old 10-15-2004, 11:44 PM   #2
ChevyCruizer
17's too small

it may not always be a taller spring but one with a stiffer spring rate. plus yours are 30 + years old so if you go with a new stock one it would prob be higher. i am done with steel and going higher i am addicted to air and going lower. do they make an air shock that will fit on the front of these? good luck
68 C10 SWB SS 5 lug power disc brake conversion 2.5 inch drop spindles van tilt column Air Ride Technologies Cool Ride air bag kits Performance Online tubular upper control arms and shock relocator kits ECE super track panhard bar 1 piece side windows
ChevyCruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 06:55 AM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Don't do a front air shock unless you build some kind of better front shock mounts. The front upper mounts on these trucks often wallow out the frame holes even with just stock shocks. With the added stress of air shocks hiking up the front end, the upper studs would fail for sure.

By the way, 73-87 front springs work in 67-72 trucks. I don't know if you're aware of this or not. Anyway, you may consider a heavier front spring that won't sag under weight like your stock 3/4 ton springs do. Possibly a 1 ton front coil spring, or even a mid 80's 6.5 diesel 1 ton front spring set. Those should be plenty heavy duty. I'm sure your ride would tend to suffer some though.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:19 PM   #4
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Thanx Tx. On 3/4 ton trucks were they nose down a couple inches new? The thought of buyin new stock springs has appeal if it will level me out. Really don't want to be bounced around anymore, so I think the 1 ton springs are out.
Rich
Old 10-17-2004, 04:38 PM   #5
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

What do you guys think about this?
http://www.truckn-store.com/product....t.asp&ID=73452

Listing says 2"-5" lift. I get to use my old springs. Ride should stay same?
Pros? Cons?
Thanks for any input.
Rich
Old 10-20-2004, 07:09 PM   #6
pooz911

IMO I would never buy anything from AIM industries, Truckn suspension or whatever name they are going by today. Their parts are sub standard and their customer service sucks after you have purchased their product.

I have a 1971 chevy custom deluxe 20. I installed the rancho front springs for the 73-87 chevy truck, upper ball joint spacers, removed the stock upper bump stop and installed shorter bump stop to allow more suspension travel, otherwise the upper control arm will sit on the bump stop. I haven't changed the brake lines yet, they should be because they are almost stretched out.
My truck sits a little higher in the front than in the rear. I don't have any alignment issues and never any problems with wear on the suspension parts. The truck has been lifted like this since 1990. I did have to replace the ball joints and pitman and idler arm, however the truck does have over 200,000 miles on it and my dad (previous owner) did abuse the truck.
pooz911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 11:07 PM   #7
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Followed a thread previously posted by Pooz. Someone had posted Eaton will do a set of custom springs for $156 bucks. Gonna give em a call.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:31 PM   #8
pooz911

If i remember right, the springs that I bought from Rancho were only about
$110.00 or you can also go with a set of 1 ton springs. They will give you the same height as long as you are running a sb chevy motor. No need to spend the extra money for a set of "custom" made springs.
pooz911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 12:08 AM   #9
TheFabShop

I would not do the coil adjusters.I would say new stock springs and shocks will make a big improvement.I was wondering how much higher you are wanting it to set though.
TheFabShop is offline   Reply With Quote