The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2004, 07:47 AM   #1
greg0380

Alignment q

I had to replace the two bolts that hold the alignment shims on the drivers side UCA. Not a big deal, but I paid to have it aligned and now it pulls to the left. I will bring it back to the shop so they can adjust, but I would like to know more about aligning a front end so I can know what he shoudl be doing. Any info would be appreciated. BTW, I've got an 85 GMC 1/2 ton 2WD. thanks.....
greg0380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 11:40 PM   #2
ChevyCruizer
17's too small

pulling sounds like toe in/out. that is adjusted with the tie rods. the upper contol arm adjusts camber and caster. if you add shims to both mounts at the same time is adjusts camber (i think) if you only mess with one shim then it anjusts caster (i think) i always get the names mixed up, but the first one adjust the upper ball joint inboard/outboard the later of the two adjust the forward/back. this is really in laymans terms. there is a machine i use at the shop where i work and it has computer animated graphics and it even tells you how many shims to add/remove.
68 C10 SWB SS 5 lug power disc brake conversion 2.5 inch drop spindles van tilt column Air Ride Technologies Cool Ride air bag kits Performance Online tubular upper control arms and shock relocator kits ECE super track panhard bar 1 piece side windows
ChevyCruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 07:00 AM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

ChevyCruizer is correct with his description. Camber is the upper balljoint moving in or out. Caster is the upper ball joint moving forward or backward.

Make them give you a print out off of the alignment machine. It will have the proper specs printed on it, and also what the specs for your particular truck are. That way you can make sure he's adjusted all of your settings to within proper specs.