The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2004, 05:48 PM   #1
bgunther

anybody shorten a Leaf Spring frame?

I saw glock35ispc's write up about shortening frames and i am trying to find out if this can be done on a leaf spring suspension? If you cut 8" off the rear you end up with 4" of frame left before the shackle hanger. Longhorn posted a thread on the message board but I hoped maybe some suspension guru would see this and have an answer.

Thanks Guys

Brandt
Old 10-18-2004, 06:04 PM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I dont see why you couldnt cut a leaf spring frame. looking @ my longhorn, the hangers would be about 4" from the rear of the frame (with 8" lopped off, as you see on your truck). the thing with a leaf truck, is that you may opt to cut the frame in a different spot (in the center). you dont have to worry about trail arm crossmember placement, so just measure up & cut where it works out the best(least amount of hassles ). best of luck,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 08:03 PM   #3
bgunther

I would guess the only issue would be when i put the bed back on it. Bad part is that my bed was so bad that when I took it off I pretty much mangled the rest of it. How far do the shortbeds stick out past the frameeail? Can someone look at their bed and see if their might be any complications. I really don't forsee any problems but I would still like a definit answer instead of my best guess. By the way I am considering putting in a rolled pan when I finally reach that stage.

Brandt