The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2016, 09:43 PM   #601
chev3600

Re: Project "Popeye"

Great looking truck, glad you're getting to enjoy it a bit. Can't wait to see how the EFI does for you.

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/i...0/AD%20trucks/jumbled mess of unorganized photos
chev3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:22 PM   #602
LEEVON

Thanks! Got the easy stuff done today on the FiTech, the whole deal is honestly really simple. I ordered the remaining -6AN fittings and hose I need for the fuel system install, that's proving to be hardest part and mainly because I wanted to do it my way. I am modifying the coolant temp sensor to fit in the 5.3 head. I have a customer who has a lathe turning it down from 3/8npt to 12mmx1.5 thread. That will save the time and trouble of drilling/tapping the head. I can't put it in the water pump because my gauge sensor is already there.

It looks like I will have it buttoned up with about three hours into it if all goes well, and most of that will be in the fuel system.
Attached Images

Last edited by LEEVON; 09-23-2016 at 11:28 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:12 AM   #603
oldman3

Hey Leevon, looks good sitting there. Can't wait for your review. Hope to order mine next week...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:57 PM   #604
LEEVON

Jim, congrats on that decision. So far I have nothing but positive feedback. I am taking notes for you. // Leevon
Old 09-24-2016, 09:17 PM   #605
LEEVON

The FiTech units come with one oxygen sensor. I removed the passenger exhaust downpipe to install a sensor bung. They supply a nice clamp-on one, but I wanted something more permanent. I also needed the exhaust out of the way for the fuel system re-work, so it made sense to do this on the "bench". Drill 7/8, clean the hole, weld, cool down, test fit, good to go!
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2016, 11:05 PM   #606
oldman3

Leevon, I also plan on a welded bung for 02 sensor. My son Mark welds in all bungs for his LS 5.3 changes...Jim
Old 09-28-2016, 09:26 PM   #607
LEEVON

Fired it up! I still have to button up terminations on a couple of wires...ended up with only three total since I'm not using their fuel or fan control.

The fuel system is a Walbro 255 with a Wix 33737 return style regulator. I bought it through Speedway which they sell as an LS swap kit with AN fittings and the mounting kit. Everything on the pressure side of the pump to the FiTech unit I ran -6AN. I'm using the feed line from the botton of the tank to the pump and return through the bottom of the cab to the feed tube of a '54 up style sending unit in my tank. I did have to buy 6' of -6AN braided hose and 4 AN hose ends, so I have about $270 into the fuel system total including the pump, regulator, hose and new sending unit. Since I already had an electric pump, the wiring was all in place. There were no leaks on my test run and the pump is so quiet I can hear fuel running through the return line in the cab.

Started on the first bump of the key and watched it learning the fuel trims and dialing in the AFR. I think I am going to like this alot!
Attached Images

Last edited by LEEVON; 09-28-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:59 PM   #608
99 to Life

awwwwwsuuummm.

49Hardtimes s/10 susp- bagged, vortec sbc, 5 speed, patina, sold
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594874
VIDEOS https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA
https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA

Geronimo 54' LS engine, static drop IFS, Client build, just about done
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post7399162

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
99 to Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:24 PM   #609
oldman3

Hey Leevon, my unit to be delivered tomorrow. pump stuff on back order until 10/3. You said that you are using the Wix return style regulator. Does this mean you DO NOT need to run the return line from the unit? You only have the fuel line to unit with no return? This sounds like a better way to go, and I may stop my order on the fuel pump stuff...Jim
Old 09-29-2016, 02:36 PM   #610
iowaboynca

that sounds great, glad i went this route. Can't wait until i'm at that point of my build.

Keep us posted.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #611
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Hey Leevon, my unit to be delivered tomorrow. pump stuff on back order until 10/3. You said that you are using the Wix return style regulator. Does this mean you DO NOT need to run the return line from the unit? You only have the fuel line to unit with no return? This sounds like a better way to go, and I may stop my order on the fuel pump stuff...Jim
My buddy that purchased one of these FITech set-ups was supposed to get his back ordered FCC the 1st week of October. Instead.... he got an updated delivery date: mid December!

He returned what he had for a refund (he's had the TB for 6wks now).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:17 PM   #612
oldman3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
My buddy that purchased one of these FITech set-ups was supposed to get his back ordered FCC the 1st week of October. Instead.... he got an updated delivery date: mid December!

He returned what he had for a refund (he's had the TB for 6wks now).
Sound like I may cancel my pump order, and go the way Leevon is doing. Will call tomorrow, will let you guys know...Jim
Old 09-29-2016, 10:13 PM   #613
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Sound like I may cancel my pump order, and go the way Leevon is doing. Will call tomorrow, will let you guys know...Jim
I talked to my buddy about this. He was set on running their full set-up to avoid the 'because you have this part' syndrome if it doesn't work correctly.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 09-29-2016, 10:33 PM   #614
LEEVON

As long as you supply 58 psi with enough volume to the FiTech it does not care where it comes or how it gets there. They supply a block-off fitting for the return in the kit. Feed is on the driver's side, return is on passenger. You will still need a return from the filter regulator to your tank but it will be much shorter this way, whereas returning from their unit requires more line and use of AN fittings and line which is expensive. I am not sure about warranty concerns...but I tell you what if they voided my warranty because of that it would be a long painful discussion. You can definitely do it this way, many people have and their techs seem to have no issue with it. I did get slightly irritated because one guy on tech support last week encouraged me to leave the wiring my way, and another today kind of berated me over it. So I DO recommend using their fuel control wiring and programming, because it allows full control of the pump. I have mine traditionally wired, which is 100% duty cycle, full voltage all the time with key on. This is fine but there are benefits to doing it their way. I just already had it wired through my new Haywire fuse panel with integral relay.

I buttoned everything up today and did some more tweaking. Have not been for a drive yet because of a trans leak...but will be very shortly. Had trouble with no-start and after several calls to tech and some troubleshooting they had me me re-calibrate the unit. I suspect that was from turning it on and off without the key. But it's working great. Got the idle set. Seemed rich, a quick adjustment to 14.0 AFR leaned out the idle appropriately. Awesome stuff. Tons of PIDS to look at and plenty of input for a base unit. Guess what? There is an A/C idle input! The website and marketing literature says the GO Street basic unit does not have this...I almost returned the unit and got the next one because of this feature alone. Well, now I'm ready to add A/C. There are a ton of other adjustments for fan speed, idle control, etc. that make this a no-brainer for any street car or daily driver. Friend asked me why it doesn't have cruise control and honestly I can't see why not? I will give a full install download after some driving soon!

Jim I will give you a call this weekend.

Last edited by LEEVON; 09-29-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:08 PM   #615
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Way cool!

It's gonna be real hard to justify a standard carb with these getting so reasonable and user friendly.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:23 PM   #616
oldman3

Leevon, thanks will be ready for your call. When you call remind me about the cruise control I added to my pickup, its in my build thread 4 or 5 pages from the end. Great unit and not that expensive...Jim
Old 10-05-2016, 11:26 AM   #617
LEEVON

Had a little setback with my FiTech install but it's all done. I had a restriction in the feed line which burned up my fuel pump on the first drive. There was a piece of silicone from the new fuel tank that worked its way down into the drain petcock. It's all fixed now, I just had to wait on another pump since Walbro 255's are not an off-the-shelf part. It's running great. My post-install observations are:
  • Throttle body unit installation is very straight forward. It bolts down like a normal carb and is even more compact. The base gaskets and air cleaner gaskets are inclued. My throttle cable and kickdown linkage swapped right over after moving the linkage adapters over from my carb. The unit has (2) 3/8 ports for PCV and brake booster which is very nice and solve a problem for me, also a 3/16 nipple of manifold vacuum which I used for transmission modulator.
  • Wiring is fairly simple. You have connectors for the O2 sensor, coolant sensor, handheld controller, and main harness. I ran the main harness into the cab and picked up my connections there. The only thing I was not crazy about is the connectors and fuse holders are all very bulky and cannot be passed through the firewall since they cannot be removed from the unit. I only had to connect power to the battery, switched 12v power, fuel pump power (no relay needed), and tach signal. There is fan power as well, but I am using my own fan wiring.
  • I welded on my 02 bung, but the saddle they supply would work fine.
  • I used a stock 5.3L coolant temp sensor, same function different thread size than supplied.
  • If you are going to use this on a small block with a mechanical fuel pump and distributor it will be a little more involved. Their fuel command center may be a nice way to go.
  • This may be a step backwards in some ways from a stock LS "set it and forget it" fuel injected engine, but it is definitely more user friendly to program and tune. You do not need HP tuners, EFI Live or need to spend hundreds with your tuner to make minor tweaks. For the most part it's simple enough for anybody.
  • One major bonus that I honestly did not anticipate is the gauge function. You have the ability to pick up to four PIDS and display them as gauge outputs. I chose TACH, AFR, BATT, and TEMP. This solves two major problems for my truck. The volt gauge vs. high amp alternator does not work and msd tach signal not communicating with old school tach. It's also nice to see a dead accurate temp reading and air fuel ratio. Here is a crappy video of the controller displaying gauges. I am going to find a better spot to tuck this up near the bottom of the dash.

Last edited by LEEVON; 10-05-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:51 PM   #618
iowaboynca

very very cool...

Like you said, I'm not sure i'd go this route for an LS swap if you already had everything but if you can find a heck of a deal on a long block, this a viable option.

I still think its cool seeing Popeye out on the road.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:35 PM   #619
oldman3

Hey Leevon, sorry for a late Thank you, but thanks for the call on Sunday about your hookup. My fuel filter/regulator pump will be here on Friday. So then I can start mapping out my plan for the install. So glad yours is running good, and thanks for the video...Jim
Old 10-25-2016, 11:49 AM   #620
SCOTI

Any updates after the FITech install?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-25-2016, 06:18 PM   #621
LEEVON

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Any updates after the FITech install?
I've got about 150 miles on it, it has some flat spots and lean issues. I'm also only getting 84% throttle position despite having full pull from the pedal. Since I wired the fuel pump through the unit, it does not start cold on the first turn of the key. I have not had time to talk through this stuff with their tech line. If I can't resolve this these issues, they won't be deal breakers but minor disappointments. It is still way better than a carb but on an LS engine it is a compromise since factory fuel injection is so reliable. I also have to remember that a single plane intake may not be the best application (but it looks cool, right). I have already thought about putting this on my '71 and going with an aluminum LS1 intake (like Pro-Flo), throttle body and stock computer on this truck. But that would only be after all the tweaks are done and lots of miles and if I'm still not satisfied. For now, we're good. Last weekend I went to a local car show here in Springfield, the truck got lots of attention. People kept walking by and looking at the engine, then doing a double-take and scratching their heads and coming back. I told one guy it's an LS '51 And she does scoot for an old truck!

Next up: Slight bed raising and mini-tubs (wheels are rubbing and pumpkin hits the deck). After that, 700R4 is happening.
Attached Images

Last edited by LEEVON; 10-25-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:28 PM   #622
northern 85

That looks great, any chance for a vid???
northern 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:45 PM   #623
oldman3

Looking good Lee, sorry to hear about the flat spot and lean issues. Mine is working great, goes alot better with the fuel injection compared to the old carb. Wish I could advise on what to do, but I'm also a beginner...Jim
Old 10-25-2016, 08:20 PM   #624
99 to Life

glad to hear its atleast working pretty well so far. Personally I can't stand hearing people whining about cold start! ON the contrary I get hot starts that drive me nuts (carb not fitech). anyway hope you iron out the little things, which is what hotrods are all about. there will be something that needs addressed on any build.

What trans you have now? I remember you were going with the manual trans, but decided auto. I plan to use the 4l60E with a stand alone unit on the carbed LS build. Hoping it works out ok.

49Hardtimes s/10 susp- bagged, vortec sbc, 5 speed, patina, sold
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594874
VIDEOS https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA
https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA

Geronimo 54' LS engine, static drop IFS, Client build, just about done
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post7399162

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
99 to Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:25 AM   #625
LEEVON

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern 85 View Post
That looks great, any chance for a vid???
Sure, what kind of video?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 to Life View Post
glad to hear its atleast working pretty well so far. Personally I can't stand hearing people whining about cold start! ON the contrary I get hot starts that drive me nuts (carb not fitech). anyway hope you iron out the little things, which is what hotrods are all about. there will be something that needs addressed on any build.

What trans you have now? I remember you were going with the manual trans, but decided auto. I plan to use the 4l60E with a stand alone unit on the carbed LS build. Hoping it works out ok.
I hear you on the hot starts. My carb was a flick of the key on cold starts, but hot starts were embarassing. The trans is a well-built TH350. I originally started out with a four-speed overdrive manual but that didn't work out. This one works great, shifts are crispy and the torque converter is tight and well matched to the cam but I just can't stand the right-lane highway driving. 2800-2900 is 65mph, which isn't too bad...but if you want to punch it up to 75mph she's spinning up to 3400ish. It gets pretty loud. That extra gear really quiets everything down. Won't be too long, I have a core 700R4 and a builder.