The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
WIDESIDE72

Restored 1971 GMC 1500 Custom SWB stepside for sale at Pate swap meet this weekend!

I wasn't able to make it, but my dad and brother will be at the Pate swap meet Friday and Saturday at the Taxas Motor Speedway near Fort Worth Texas. They are located near the corner of Wallace and 13th space 1122/1124. Dad is asking $10k for the truck. It is registered as an antique and curently insured. Show up with cash and drive it home!

We bought it around 5 yrs ago from Larry Green from Cameron, Tx (who has a business, Green's Repair and Restoration, restoring and selling parts for these trucks) at the Old Rosanky swap meet. It was origianlly medium blue. My dad drove it home from there.

Soon after buying it, I found a 3.07 posi rear axle and went through it and installed it in place of the stock 3.73. It improved the drivability dramatically. The 6 cyl engine has plenty of torque to pull away from a stop even with the taller gear, and the revs are a lot lower at cruise. I wouldn't recommend towing anything substantial, though.

This truck was remarkably solid Central Texas truck, needing only the rockers replaced. There is no evidence of any prior rust repair anywhere on the cab or rest of the truck! A few years after he bought it, we pulled the body off the frame and had the frame sandblasted and painted. Dad and I installed a set of aftermarket Goodmark front fenders and replaced the outr rockers on the truck. The rest of the truck is original 1971 metal, including the cab corners and floor boards. The truck was painted a modern two stage clear coat metallic gray.

The bed has new white Oak bed wood and stainless steel strips. The seat has been rdone in a grey velour on the seating are and black vinyl on the sides. It has a new rubber floor mat, door rubbers, window fuzzies, pedal pads, dash pad and window weatherstripping. I found and installed a set of OEM black lap belts and visors in place of the blue ones. The grill and bumper were over $600 to replate. He decided to keep the farm truck rear bumper since it was in good shape and hinted at the "FARM TRUCK" vibe. You see a lot of over restored Cheyenne's and Supers, but not many original 6 cyl/ 3 speed on the tree farm truck restos. It has repro mirrors, all new rubber with the exception of the vent window rubbers, which are about an 8 on a scale of 1-10. It has a matching set of Goodyear Wranglers with less than 1k miles and a set of perfect later model NOS GMC stainless steel caps (not shown in the photo. The SPID label was already gone when we got the truck. The truck was missing the radio, so we installed a delete plate I had. It has manual brakes (front discs) and manual steering.

Dad has a power steering set up for a straight six, along with a power brake set up with the correct offset air cleaner. None of it has been installed.

This truck runs and drives great. The fact that it drives so well leads me to believe the the 69k miles showing on the odometer are original.The only reason for the resto was the fact that the P.O.treated it like a TRUCK. It was scratched up, someone had primered the hood and the front fenders were rusty, but as I said before, the rest of the truck was SOLID. It wasn't til after the body shop started sanding it that we realized the rockers needed replacing. Dad will be 74 in Sept and looking for a few more creature comforts. PM me for his cell phone number for more info.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
WIDESIDE72

Re: Restored 1971 GMC 1500 Custom SWB stepside for sale at Pate swap meet this weeken

A few more photos
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Restored 1971 GMC 1500 Custom SWB stepside for sale at Pate swap meet this weeken

Please note the following-
VI.Do not offer any item up for sale or trade that is not in your possession, you do not have the right to sell, or does not exist at the time of the classified ad.

V. For sale or trade items must be listed in the appropriate category. Please list items only once, no cross posting or the ads will be deleted.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Closed Thread