The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > Vendors Marketplace

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 04:29 PM   #1
Ccas

Ccas

We are proud to be a Sponsor of this Truck forum. I'm sure many of you are asking 'Who the heck is Cold Case?' I thought I'd post a little FAQ here that I think will answer most of your questions:

Q- Is Cold Case a new company?

A- While the Cold Case brand is only a couple of years old, Cold Case is a product line of Max Performance Inc. which has been in business as a specialty American car and truck parts supplier for the past 30 years and was started by the same people who brought you Pypes Performance Exhaust.

Q- there's a lot of debate over Copper/Brass or Aluminum.

A- And there probably always will be. If you are doing a concours correct numbers matching vehicle, you simply need an original copper/brass OEM radiator. However, Aluminum, although much lighter, is incredibly strong when no epoxy is used. It dissipates heat faster. It looks nicer. Aluminum pricing is down and copper pricing is up. It's a change for the better for most of you! As you read further, you'll see we've answered any other negatives with regard to aluminum.

Q- The market is full of Radiator Companies. Why yet another?!

A- Yes, agreed. We fully admit there is no shortage of expensive high quality radiators and there is no shortage of no-name aluminum radiators on all over Ebay and Amazon but we feel there is a big need for a high quality brand you can trust at a price that is not all that far off of the cheap no-name brands.

Q- Do you have radiators for everything? Do you do custom work?

A- At this time, we don't do custom work. We only make radiators that we have identified as at least somewhat popular. Everything we have is made in a production environment in reasonable quantities. This allows us to keep our prices down,

Q- So what makes Cold Case better than the high end brands

A- We're not claiming to be better than these brands. In fact, one of the disadvantages of Cold Case is that we don't do custom work and we don't do specialty high horsepower vehicles at this time. However, our construction quality, design elements, tig welding and materials all rival the big guys. One thing we can claim that beats some of the expensive box welded tank lines is that our radiators are designed to fit in the factory position with factory hardware, shrouds and brackets in most cases. We can claim this because both our top and bottom tanks are stamped to look and fit like originals.

Q- What makes Cold Case better than the all the no name brands?

A-
1. We have stamped tanks for an OEM look and application correct fitment
2. Rather than using 2,3 or 4 small tubes in our cores, All our radiators are built with BB capacity utilizing 2 oversize rows that cool 20,30 or even 40% better than 4, 3 or 2 row cores the no name brands use.
3. All our tanks are fully polished
4. We use OEM petcock valves
5. Our filler necks are welded from the inside instead of the outside.
6. Our filler necks allow you to use an OEM radiator cap if you choose.
7. Because we use OEM style tanks, ours can mount using all the factory brackets, fan shrouds and hardware.
8. We offer a Lifetime Warranty and a 60 day cool guarantee.
9. Our tech staff is always available by phone or e-mail to answer your questions
10. Although the brand is new, our parent company has been around for 30 years. You can trust we'll be around in the future.

Q- How can you offer such a high quality product at such a reasonable price?

A- 1. We use stamped tanks which require less welding to produce
2. Our line isn't quite as expansive as others but each model we make is
made in higher production volume to reduce costs.
3. We're the new kid on the block. We have to get your attention
somehow. Maybe if we get rich and famous, we'll raise our prices
too!

We'll be monitoring this forum and from time to time should be able to objectively contribute helpful information to solve your cooling problems in the future. Thanks for giving us this opportunity.

Last edited by Ccas; 12-12-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:09 PM   #2
Ccas

Re: Aluminum radiator

This post is meant to be read if you have already decided a nice aluminum radiator is the way to go.
We've been a sponsor on these forums for a little over a year now. I'd like to throw our name in there for consideration.

The brands mentioned aren't bad but I think you'll see the Cold Case line is a better value.
ie; KKS is a 3 row non polished brand with hit or miss fitment and with no USA representation other than a warehouse where the radiators are stored.

Engineered Cooling rads (also speedcooling.com) is a decent small outfit featuring dual 1" tubes which is better than 3 small rows like KKS, polished tanks but average fit and finish and their shrouds don't fit the radiator nearly as good as ours. Pricing is ok. Suction affect is very important for 'stuck in traffic' driving.

Champion Radiators is a decent quality box welded radiator. However, their 2 and 3 row radiators are inadequate for many higher performance v8's in cars today. You need to go to their 4 radiator for best cooling and that still isn't as good as 2 big rows. Their units are all also fabricated tanks which do not resemble original at all. Fitment is semi-OEM. Because of the fab'd tanks, modifications are often needed for fitment.
You can also pick from an almost unlimited amount of no name brands off ebay. These are all no name for a reason. Usually a warehouse with a couple of guys that bring in a container of brown box no name radiators.

Cold Case features 2 1 1/4" rows only found on top brands selling for $700+, polished stamped tanks, guaranteed OEM direct fit, 60 day cool guarantee, lifetime warranty, made by the same company that brought you Pypes Exhaust. We're located in Hatfield PA and employ more than 35 people. Retail price point around $300 depending on the model.

shoot me a PM for possible special forums pricing.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
Ccas

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post
I'm all for plugging board sponsors and such but, in support of others, I must say that my Champion 3-Row is looking The Business up next to what it is replacing here in my world. I bought the CC369 with fans. This all aluminum piece of kit is welded, polished aluminum boxes that look very nice. It test fitted nicely down into the factory lower perches and the factory upper mounts fit down on the welds just fine! It's definitely not exactly just like the stock 4 row BB radiator, but it will fit in there no problem. Once I have it all together, I have no doubt it will cool the BB.

Pics available...

-klb
I didn't mean to disrespect the 3 row or Champion all together. I was mostly targeting the 2 rows they make. They are really inadequate for any classic V8. The hp ranges they use are ridiculous. The 3 row may work fine for you. Just saying to all that a large 2 row will outperform a small 3 row. It's just a matter of volume. Big 2 row, holds more fluid. And you are correct, it may cool your car just fine but I have replaced at least several 3 row aluminum rads with noticeable improved results. Again, it's a matter of many factors and sometimes the 3 row can fall short. That's why Champion makes their 4 row.

And for fitment, that's hit or miss also. Yours seemed to fit relatively painlessly but Champion makes a 64-67 Chevelle and a 64-67 GTO radiator but originally there was a 64-65 and 66-67 models that were quite different. Also because the tanks being box welded instead of stamped like originals, any models that use saddle mounts are going to require at least the insulators to be modified.

A lot of this may seem nit picky but for some it's important. I'm just trying to get all the plus's and minus's out there for all to consider. Hope we're ok.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:35 PM   #4
Ccas

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Ccas, I might give you a call. My truck is a 250 six cylinder, dad knocked a hole in the original radiator decades ago and no idea where that is. It had a small radiator in it from a junkyard that worked great but had several leaks sealed up my coolant impurities. I'll try and drop you a line. Mostly I want something to fit the brackets with new rubber (my lower brackets I bolted in so those can be moved and exchanged for 3 row), fit the engine outlets, and with a horizontal cap....I'd also like an overflow outset set to a direction of my choosing. Can you do that?
I appreciate the consideration but for a 6 cylinder application, our radiators would probably be overkill. Almost all ours are made for BB applications. For most 6 cylinder applications, there are USA made 2 row copper/brass radiators that are less expensive than our radiators, will fit fine and will absolutely get the job done.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:11 PM   #5
Ccas

Re: Cold Case is here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdude239 View Post
i was told that yal yal are going to have a ls swap raidatior for a 71c-10 in the works for after start of the year can you tell me a price with fans and does it have a stream port built in
Yes, a new unit will be available for the C-10 with the steam port in it. Keep in mind that if you are running an Automatic, you have a decision to make. You can't run a trans cooler, dual flow, steam port and both inlet and outlets all in the RH radiator tank. You either need to run a separate trans cooler or you need to run your trans lines to the LH side of the radiator.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:13 PM   #6
Ccas

Quote:
Oh OK, so you guys aren't exclusively "per order custom" then?

That's OK, most truck owners want the biggest engine they can, obviously they are compensating for something.

I had a roommate in college that felt "owning a gun was compensating for something." I asked him if he planned to defend himself with the body part he was referring to.

Can you direct me to those USA makers you are referring to?

Yes, we decided to strictly do volume production in what we feel is the 'sweet spot'. That helps keep the costs down and streamlines things. Sorry.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #7
Ccas

Quote:
Im fine with running trans lines to the left side what kind of price do yal have on it?
pm sent.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:53 PM   #8
Ccas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cole View Post
If your name is Chris, you sold me a 67-72 c10 LS swap radiator/fan combo at the Charlotte Good Guys show a few months ago. I was told that it was a new product but in the production cue and would be ready in December. I didn't need it right away so I placed the order. I was all excited about it and even promoted your product to Truckdude239 (also on this thread). He called and was told that you guys are not making the LS swap c10 radiator and that he should buy the Chevelle radiator because it was similar. I said, "that can't be, I just bought one". I figured that was obviously a mistake so I called your company and was told the same thing! Were you just going to send me a Chevelle radiator and not say anything? I did receive a call from someone else at your company asking if I wanted to buy the Chevelle radiator and I told him I needed a couple of days to think about it. He said he would call again the following week to see if I wanted it but he never called back! You guys are off to a bad start in the customer service dept. and if you treat everyone this way, you won't be around long either. BTW... Even though you (Chris) "sold" me the original radiator, I have yet to hear from you since.

Buyer beware!
Steve, Wow. I can't believe this is the impression you have of us. I purposely told you at Charlotte that I would call you back with the timing and availability of the radiator you wanted. Yes, the radiator I was planning on sending you has the LS Chevelle part number. The radiators are literally identical. So there was no intent to deceive at all. I followed up as I said I would and I again explained all your options. You said you wanted to think about it. I then updated Eric with the details of your situation and asked him to follow up because I knew I was going to be away at a show. He contacted you and you told him you were still wanting to think about it. When I got back from the show I followed up with him to confirm he contacted you. I think he even made one more attempt after that. So I think we made enough attempts? We actually felt like any more attempts would be bordering badgering you.

I really hate to have to come on here and respond, but by making this public, you kind of force me to otherwise viewers would think we're either inconsiderate dopes or worse yet that we are hiding.

Remember we have a 60 day money back guarantee. We would never offer an option like that if we were purposely trying to dupe people. I've worked my entire career at building both Pypes and now Cold Case to be respected and valued brands. The picture you are painting is far from who we are.

I'd like to put this misunderstanding behind us. When dealing with a supplier, there has to be a level of trust. Somehow you lost that trust. We'd love to show you what a nice product and company you are dealing with. I hope by reading this you can change your assessment and return to trusting us enough to try our product.

Chris
Old 12-09-2017, 11:31 AM   #9
Ccas

Quote:
I guess he can't direct me......
Sorry, I totally missed the last thing you asked. I guess I got distracted by the entertainment value of the rest of your post.

US Radiator and Spectra Premium are two off hand that I can think of. Although Spectra Premium may also have a factory in Canada?

Last edited by Ccas; 12-09-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:33 AM   #10
Ccas

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldgin View Post
So how much is it for your radiator?
Retail is $399 for most of our applications. If you shoot me a PM with your needs, I can give you a forums member price.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:35 PM   #11
Ccas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC-YA68 View Post
Any plans to make a LSX style with fans for a 63-66?
It would be quite easy to move the inlet from the LH side to the RH side and add a steam port. However, on a Top/bottom tanks radiator, this is a very inefficient way to cool the vehicle. However, for your situation, we would recommend a couple of different options.
1. Use our regular V8 HD radiator and run a 2 piece upper radiator hose that goes to the driver side top inlet. At the junction of the 2 piece hose, use a T so you can connect your steam port in this spot.

2. Take a good look at the space you have available and then let us match up one of our dual flow crossflow radiators for fitment. You'd have to make up some custom brackets for mounting.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:41 PM   #12
Ccas

Dave, thanks for posting your experience!

1. There should have been a plastic envelope with fan/shroud instructions as well as care and use instructions. We even include a Cold Case emblem! It should have been in the radiator box if you received separate boxes. Matter of fact, it should have been in the main box even if everything was in one big box. (we are currently changing over from multiple box kits to one box kits)

2. I believe various LS's have different size steam ports? However, a couple popular fittings included for the steam port is a good idea.
3. we are aware of this and are going to include extra's for a match in the future.
4. We are still debating what cap to include with our kits. In the mean time, if anyone asks for a cap, we will include it free.
5. the missing instructions discuss the rad cap options and specs. Sorry.

This is why we appreciate even some less than perfect feedback. We're pretty new. We can't think of everything but this type of feedback will help future enthusiasts. thanks again!
Old 12-27-2017, 07:38 PM   #13
Ccas

You showed a picture of the connectors. Was that your wiring or our connector? I need to make sure I get correct male or female. We may have them here. If not, we can get them fairly quickly.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:02 PM   #14
Ccas

Hey guys, I'm not going to bad mouth ECP, the radiator is a decent unit. However, it's 1" tubes where ours are 1 1/4" tubes. That's a significant amount of extra volume for around the same price. Some of you may not need it? But I rarely hear anyone say that they are running too cool! Also, their shrouds don't fit nearly as nice as ours. That's important for driving in stop and go traffic.

Just wanted to make sure that everyone is comparing apples to apples.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:15 PM   #15
Ccas

Quote:
That was the plug on the fan it self that came with the radiator
That plug will fit our harness but I agree it doesn't 'click' into place like we want it to. We're going to improve the harness connector.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:38 PM   #16
Ccas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmlxix View Post
Are there any plans for a 1973-1987 square body truck LSx SWAP radiator?
Absolutely. By April we should have them in production. In the mean time, a lot of guys are just running a 2 piece upper radiator hose and putting a T in the middle for the steam port. Another clean option is to drill and tap the top of the water pump housing for the steam port.
Closed Thread