The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Our Stuff... In Scale

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
jeffro2

67-72 4x4 Scaratchbuild

Its time once again to do a scratchbuild and this cab has been bouncing around my shop for over a year.

The last one I did was a lot of curves and odd stuff, so I took a break from scratchbuilding.

I then spent the last 6 months rebuilding just about every rc truck I have made previously.

I have no clue about axles or transmission, but I know I will bend up a frame for it.

Also, once I figure out what grill I like,( I did make a grill, a 1967) but it ended up looking to small for the cab, so it might be a 72 when I'm done, not sure yet..

Its ugly, (so, get your laughing out of the way ) but give me time, and hopefully with a little help of a few on here and a ScaleRC forum, I'll get it looking mostly correct.

All comments welcome, its still a work in progress, but tell me what you see wrong if its a glaring mistake.

jeffro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:39 AM   #2
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: 67-72 4x4 Scaratchbuild

You have some amazing modeling skills there Jeffro! Your work just blows me away. Thanks for the feedback on the trailfinder I asked about in the other thread.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
jeffro2

updated pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
You have some amazing modeling skills there Jeffro! Your work just blows me away. Thanks for the feedback on the trailfinder I asked about in the other thread.
Thank you Larry, and the work you guys do to your trucks is incredible. I have neither the bravery or the skill, knowledge, or tools.

No problem on the TF2 info, everything I have read about the TF2 has been good. I forgot to check their forum on their website, I forget its even there, I just buy stuff or drool over the parts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing major, but I've rough cut the windows out, and basically trying to shape different areas. I think I need more angle on the front of the hood, I added the hood centerline to help me see the division better. it may end up getting ripped off to go back on later...

Anyway, see what you think so far, is it even coming close to resembling a 67-72 body style ??

Old 03-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
jeffro2

1972 Chevy 4x4 Scaratchbuild

I started on the truck bed last night.

This is what it looks like in the beginning, it needs built up and shaped out, but this is how you start it. My problem is I ran out of a particular thickness of styrene, so its time to hit the online Hobby Shop.

This is what I have so far. I'm stuck waiting for parts (and now styrene). Tranfer case, shocks, tires, leaf springs and drive shafts. I have to wait on the axles, I want a certain kind, and they are more than my wallet can handle at the moment.

I need help, every picture I look at of a 67-72 truck, I have difficulty telling if the front and rear wheel wells, have the same basic size and shape... Are they the same or is the rear just a skoosh lower then the front fender (wheel well) ???

Old 03-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
jeffro2

I finally found a few pics that show a full on side view of a 72 pickup, and it sure looks like the rear wheel well is not as tall as the front, so I'm good to go on that part.

Now I just have to find pictures of the inside of the truck bed, I need to count the ribs on the floor.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

Greatwork Jeffro. I have a friend that is heavy into rc cars. One room in his house is full of bodies and parts from floor to ceiling. I can't see anything wrong that you have done. Keep up the outstanding work.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
jeffro2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishops Trucks View Post
Greatwork Jeffro. I have a friend that is heavy into rc cars. One room in his house is full of bodies and parts from floor to ceiling. I can't see anything wrong that you have done. Keep up the outstanding work.
All I can say, is my collection is growing, quickly. Thank you for the very kind words also.

Thank you for your input, it helps me greatly. Sometimes it takes a few trys to get the shapes right, and getting it too look right (proportional to the real truck) in the scale I'm building.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't gotten anything done, I've been absent, waiting for a new camera and equipment to show up, and thats a story in itself.

I did finally get some stuff for drive train and suspension, and some really nice tires, Super Swampers, actually,, shrunk down to my size.

If I get the weight of the truck where I want it, these tires will be a terror in the creek.

I also now know that these truck beds have 13 raised ribs in the bed and 3 in front of and behind the fender humps..

Thank you for looking.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

Your welcome, I can't wait to see the finished product. Those tires are TOOOO cool! I want a set for my full size '71.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #9
manimal

Man you have mad talent! What would also be cool would be a Longhorn bed. You may get some of these guys that have them(longhorns) to actually buy one from you!
1999 Suburban K2500, 7.4, 4L80e
1980 Camaro..son's car...PROJECT
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
jeffro2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishops Trucks View Post
Your welcome, I can't wait to see the finished product. Those tires are TOOOO cool! I want a set for my full size '71.
Thank you ! I always get anxious to get to the end, sometimes too anxious, and have to redo things.

I know my tires are a lot cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimal View Post
Man you have mad talent! What would also be cool would be a Longhorn bed. You may get some of these guys that have them(longhorns) to actually buy one from you!
Thank you manimal, I wish I was better, or more patient. When I 1st cut the bed out of styrene, it would have been a Longhorn, but I read somewhere where they were not produced as a stock version 4x4, so I cut it down to a long bed.

I've never sold anything, I build it all for me. I have given a few bodies away, but only for special occasions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is whats done so far. It rained most of the weekend so I stayed holed up in the garage.

I still have a long way to go, but I need to start thinking about paint scheme's, probably two tone.

It needs a grille

Its not perfect, but close enough to tinker with and make it better , I hope..

Am I still on the right track ?

Old 03-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
scrappy

That looks freakin awsome! Nice work. I'm into scale r/c's also, I have 2 modified scx10's. One's an fj40 landcruiser & the other is a...cough cough... ford expedition. We don't see to many scratch built bodies in my neck of the woods. If your not on there already check out rc crawlers.com, there's a wealth of scale crawler knowledge on there.
scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #12
jeffro2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappy View Post
That looks freakin awsome! Nice work. I'm into scale r/c's also, I have 2 modified scx10's. One's an fj40 landcruiser & the other is a...cough cough... ford expedition. We don't see to many scratch built bodies in my neck of the woods. If your not on there already check out rc crawlers.com, there's a wealth of scale crawler knowledge on there.

Thank you very much,

I'm a little behind getting back to answer you, I took a short break from the interwebz.

Yes, I'm on rccrawler, just not very often, it just got to be a pain trying to keep up with all the different forums, scale4x4, etc... I'm enjoying the peace an quiet now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, some updates, more parts have come in.

K-44 Axles

I like to make sure they are greased and then I add more.

I finally had to primer the cab so I could see what she looked like, shape wise.

Made a frame and a front bumper.

And before I call it a night..a mock up..

Good Night, and Thank you for looking !

Old 03-19-2013, 06:16 AM   #13
jeffro2

I finished hanging the axles. I took a few mockup shots, and it seems like I need to adjust the rear swoop a little above the rear fender.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #14
82ccshorty

you have some mad skills at doing this. would you be intrested in building out for me?
2004 gmc sierra dually 4/4 lowering daily driver
82ccshorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #15
jeffro2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82ccshorty View Post
you have some mad skills at doing this. would you be intrested in building out for me?
Thank you very much. I know this sounds mean, but I only build for myself. After I spend so much time building from the ground up, I become attached to them, weird huh ? I guess I'm a horder of RC Trucks

Almost afraid to say what kinda money is wrapped up in them, its kinda silly, but its my hobby, or addiction, or a combination. Anyway, my apologies.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really haven't accomplished much, other then raise the rear swoosh just a little, a girl over on my scale Rc forum busted me on that. I had it to pronounced, or down to low in the rear of the bed.. You know..you have them or some of you do.

I still need to fix the rear fender swoosh better, plus I guess I need a little more of a slope on the front fender also, to kind of match the rear...??

Old 03-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #16
jeffro2

Spent most of my free time today, straighting out the truckbed. I ripped out the fender humps and rebuilt them a little closer to a 1:1 truck,and I think it looks a little better, just needs cleaned up a little, sort of.

Maybe tomorrow morning during the spring snow storm, I can get a tailgate made up.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #17
71K20chevy

That thing is NICE!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #18
jeffro2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71K20chevy View Post
That thing is NICE!
Thank you, very much !!

Now if I could just get back to it, I've hit a little slump. It happens everytime I build one.

All I've been able to do is so far is work on the frame and its setup, and its not working out yet for placement and angles and all that good stuff, so its back to the drawing board or just buy a smaller 1-speed transmission, which I don't want to do, just yet.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #19
71K20chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro2 View Post
Now if I could just get back to it, I've hit a little slump. It happens everytime I build one.
Tell me about it! I build model cars, and I've pretty much given up on them because it's just far too stressful for someone like me...

Also, it never ceases to amaze me how realistic these RC parts are.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:00 AM   #20
jeffro2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71K20chevy View Post
Tell me about it! I build model cars, and I've pretty much given up on them because it's just far too stressful for someone like me...

Also, it never ceases to amaze me how realistic these RC parts are.

My apologies for such a slow response. I do appreciate your comments, Thank you.

I have all my models I built in 75 and 76. I used to love to build them, but then I found this side of the RC hobby, where they are bigger, and I can build and drive them.

The parts for these trucks have really become amazing at how close they resemble their full size counter parts. Its just crazy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I finally have a little to show, I was able to shoe horn the 3-spd into the frame, I just had to clock it a little, to get my clearence on my front drive shaft. I also had to clock the T-case a little more then I wanted, but it was that or spend more money on a different trans and I didn't want to do that.

This is the chassis layout, now I have to get back to sanding the body.. ick !!

In these pics, I've started painting the shocks ( left over habit from my model building days ) and the other shiny stuff, I don't like shiny aluminum on my trucks..

Old 04-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #21
jeffro2

I installed the shift servo and linkage.

I finally had to get back to the body, so I started the tailgate.

I reduced the hoodline, and I might take it down a little more.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #22
jeffro2

I still haven't been able to get much done. It seems since the sun keeps popping out and warming things up a bit, I (we) seem to be having more people stop by to chat awhile, so nothing gets accomplished.

So early this morning, (I'm up at 4 am every morning like clock work) and started on the inner door panels.

I'm not big on making interiors, but I don't like blackening out the windows really dark either, so its interior time and I need to find a driver.

They also don't have to be perfect, because its hardly seen but it adds to the effect I'm looking for.

Last edited by jeffro2; 04-04-2013 at 11:03 AM. Reason: add more
Old 04-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #23
jeffro2

I did a little more this weekend. I'm not fond of making interiors, so it always slows me down.

These will go in once its painted. I have to make some clothes for the driver, cause no one wants to see a half necked driver.

And a few pics of the truck. I almost got in a hurry and started painting, but I remembered it needed a rain gutter around the cab roof.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #24
RatRod68

This is insane. I have never seen something so cool. I was into T-Maxxs and stuff a few years ago, and built and customized model cars when i was a kid, and this is the coolest thing I have ever seen. What are you building everything out of? Where did you get those axles and stuff??
D-Ranged Ford Ranger on steroids

Semper Fi
RatRod68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #25
jeffro2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRod68 View Post
This is insane. I have never seen something so cool. I was into T-Maxxs and stuff a few years ago, and built and customized model cars when i was a kid, and this is the coolest thing I have ever seen. What are you building everything out of? Where did you get those axles and stuff??
Thank you !

The bodies are made from styrene, this stuff.

It comes in many different thicknesses, and differnt size sheets, sometimes huge if you know where to get them. The ones I buy are 12" x 24" I think..

Check out "Evergreen styrene" on the web, http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/

And I use this to "weld" melt things together. Its cheaper then the stuff from the Hobby Shop.

This is my Bondo I use on them.

The axles and other goodies like that are from this place.

This is the home page,http://store.rc4wd.com/

The axles that I like the most are these. http://store.rc4wd.com/K44-Ultimate-...le-_p_477.html

And they have all kinds of goodies. Hope that explains it a little better.

Thank you again.