The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2020, 06:41 PM   #1
garrison

57 Chevy pickup power brakes

My truck is stock except I used lowering springs to drop it a few inches. Still 235 and three speed column shift transmission. I'd like to add power brakes. I found an older thread about it but some links were outdated and it pertained to a 4 speed.

My question is can I install a power brake conversion kit without having to change the crossmember. I'm not super mechanical and that thing seems to be riveted on with huge rivets. I also wonder how much difference it make as opposed to simply switching to a dual chamber master cylinder?

And finally, those that have done this, what kit/vendor do you recommend? Classic Parts of America (formerly Chevy Duty) is local and I tend to go there, but their site does say a new cross member may be required.

garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:15 AM   #2
dsraven

Re: 57 Chevy pickup power brakes

a dual master cylinder should be on your mind no matter what unless you are doing a numbers matching or completely stock rebuilt.
some have done a hydroboost and mounted the master and booster back on the frame a bit further. used the stock master location as a run through "bushing" sort of and added length to the pushrod to meet up with the booster mounted further back. maybe a possibility for you too if you have some fab skills.
here is a set up or two (if you scroll down some) with pics so you can see how it works and what I meant. these are the task force trucks but you could prolly make something work along the same idea. you do need a power steering pump to make them work but they are quite a bit smaller in diameter than a vacuum booster and it can't be rocket science to fab up some brackets for the pump on the stock engine. there are probably mounts made if you google it. system would mount under the floor and use the stock pedal assembly so no monkeying around with pedal mounts and a firewall mounted booster. it would give clearance for other stuff under the truck.
just a thought.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=498494
dsraven is online now   Reply With Quote