The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2020, 01:44 PM   #1
truckster

Headlight Switch Help

I can't get the shaft on the headlight switch to release. I'm pushing the button in as far as it will go and it gets caught. It seems like the knob will break if I pull any harder. Any ideas?
Old 07-08-2020, 01:59 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Headlight Switch Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I can't get the shaft on the headlight switch to release. I'm pushing the button in as far as it will go and it gets caught. It seems like the knob will break if I pull any harder. Any ideas?

You shouldn't have to pull hard at all. Have you tried pulling the knob out to the park position before pushing the button in and pulling the shaft out? Also try pushing the button toward the dash as you push it in. Sometimes that helps.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:02 PM   #3
Southcity

I've been there before, it can be a little bit of a challenge to get it to release but the trick is to depress the release button and gently apply pulling pressure to the knob. Sometimes you may have to gently push in, turn and then pull out. Be patient and don't muscle it, it will eventually release.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:20 PM   #4
truckster

OK, operator error here... I forgot that you're supposed to pull the switch all the way out and then depress the switch. It's amazing how easy things can become when you do them right.

Thanks for all your responses. I'm started my new wiring harness today, and for me I think it's the most intimidating part of my build.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:42 PM   #5
sick472

Truckster - we are kin on parallel universes. I am working my wiring harness currently and just last night tried to get my light switch stem out with the same approach...I'll get it out tonight thanks to your thread.

And, I put the wiring off until it could not be put off any more. The intimidation is much worse than actually doing it...thanks to this community for sure!

The color coded generic wiring diagram linked below has been the best help even though it does not cover everything...enjoy the electrical ride...

Post #302

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...185856&page=13

The above long thread has a truck-load of electrical info. Even though my truck wiring seemed to differ here and there with regards to the wire locations in the connectors, it was so much help.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:53 PM   #6
truckster

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2020, 10:20 PM   #7
mr48chev

If you get one out the first try without having to stop and think how to do it you live a charmed life.

I had to change the one in my 71 after going though several sacrificial dimmer switches before I added the relays for the lights.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:35 AM   #8
easyrider

I've had the same problem every time I had to drop the dash on ALL the trucks I owned. It seems that I go into it knowing it won't come out. So, on the truck I have now, I took an old knob and removed the plastic button from the shaft and threaded the shaft rod and screwed the knob back on, so now when I need to take the dash off, I just remove the knob and leave the shaft in the light switch. With the knob off; the nut that holds the light switch to dash will come off and all the time you are working on your project, you have the lights turned off and won't have to disconnect battery. But, that was just my way of getting around dealing with the push button release.
easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:39 AM   #9
Southcity

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider View Post
I took an old knob and removed the plastic button from the shaft and threaded the shaft rod and screwed the knob back on.
Nice one Easyrider, thanks for sharing.