The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2016, 08:41 PM   #1
WannaBe68

Newbie with Locking Hub Question

I got my 69 4x4 Suburban back in July and LOVE IT by-the-way! The family and I have been driving it regularly, but I have not engaged the front hubs once. The front left locking hub is throwing grease out and I was wondering - 'cause I've searched the 67-72chevytruck via Google and no real luck - does anyone have a link to a step by step thread of a reseal/rebuild(?) of the locking hubs? Or is this something best left to the "pros"? Picture below is after I wiped most of the build-up off of hub. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

WannaBe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:02 AM   #2
NoForAnAnswer

Re: Newbie with Locking Hub Question

My 71 has Warn Premium hubs on it. And I literally just did them tonight.

Here's a video that goes through the installation process.
https://youtu.be/txoD4_kQ-3I

It looks to me like you have a different style hub. It should be pretty similar.
71 K10, 400hp 355, TH350, NP205, 12 bolt w/Eaton posi, Dana 44 w/spartan, 4.11 gears, 32/11.50-15 Cooper STT, full length Hooker headers, Dual Thrush glasspacks, Points triggered Crane Cams ignition box, Holley 670 street avenger, Edelbrock performer manifold
NoForAnAnswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:27 PM   #3
WannaBe68

Thanks, Bro'...
That looked pretty easy - At the 4:30 mark he talks about a small/ish round seal... Is this the seal causing the grease to get thrown out? Can I replace just this seal?
Thanks again
Old 11-28-2016, 06:58 PM   #4
BILT4ME

There are a couple O-Rings that you need. One is on the outside of the center part that you turn that seals it to the chrome part. There is also an O-Ring that seals the chrome part to the inside of the hub. However, I recommend you take it apart and take it to an auto parts store and compare and try some O-Rings.

You can also check with LMC and see if they have a hub rebuild kit available.

Thirdly, you can reseal with silicone caulk on the outside of the chrome piece to the hub, but you still need a new O-Ring on the outside of the part you turn.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:47 PM   #5
WannaBe68

Thanks!
I think I am going to replace them and while I'm at it replace the bearings, seals, spindle nuts, etc...
Posted a separate question here the 4x4 section asking about finding out what info I needed from my Dana 44 front axle to order all new replacement parts.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:41 PM   #6
BILT4ME

there are numbers and codes on the axle tubes that will give you the correct stuff. I have a 70 GMC K20 and we have discovered that the front axle on that is a one-year only GMC only thing. It has drum brakes.

Look in the pickup thread to see how other folks are showing pics of the numbers on the axle tubes. I think they are on the LEFT (driver's) side of the differential and may be where the U-Bolts are. You'll need a wire brush and maybe some sandpaper to find them.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:14 PM   #7
WannaBe68

The guy I bought it from put discs, from a 71, on the front of this 69. He said every thing else is original...only the brakes were changed.
I'll try to find the numbers as soon as I get a chance to crawl around under there.
Thanks again!