The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 67-72

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Very low buck frenched side marker mod

To read further discussion on this topic go here- LINK

First and foremost, I can not take credit for this mod.
Last year when Mike and I were at Brad's, I noticed this mod on Brad's new 68. After looking at it I figured it out and have been wanting to do it since. It took a few months to get to it, but now I have done it.
First, Brad's truck.
His markers grabbed my attention as soon as we got out of his 67.

As we all know the side markers on these trucks stick out like the eyes on those gold fish. You know, the ones that you always wonder how it is they don't snag them on a rock... yeah, like that.

This mod is simple. The cost is minimal, and the tools needed are low level too. Most, if not all of us, have the tools needed.
No sawszall needed (i know... bummer) Here's all I needed. A milk crate on a 4 wheel dolly for a seat. Adjust height acording to the height of your truck. I used a cut off wheel, and then normal everyday hand tools... screwdrivers channel locks and super glue. A dremmel tool will work if you don't have air tools. Don't forget the safety glasses, sparks will fly, and they always find a way to your good eye.

Step one, grab a #2 phillips screwdriver and remove the lenses.

If you don't already have the delux markers, run to the junk yard or parts vendor/swap meet, and get a set like these. (junk yard guys, don't forget to look on 70's and 80's vans.... EXACT same piece) I got mine off a 72 GMC Mike and I scrapped a couple weeks ago.

once you remove the lens, you'll need to remove the little threaded clip. I can't remember what the heck it's called, but it is no longer needed. So when they shoot inside the fender or bedside, don't worry about crawling around looking for them, just let them fly (glasses on).
Once they are removed, you'll need to do some light trimming.
Before; (paper towl placed in the hole for contrast so you can see better in the photos)

and after;

You don't need to trim it quite as much as I did in this pic. You just need it narrow enough to fit between the upper and lower lens of the marker. You'll also notice, I tried to keep the verticle cut in line with the stock vertical line.

Those of us with beaters have the upper hand here, it is easier to paint the parts to match primer than it is to color match to a painted fender. Mine is close enough to this semi gloss spray bomb. A painted truck could just have the nubs sticking out done in flat black to match the center of the lens, or, if this is pre-paint, then paint the center of the lens body color. Just remember to paint the head of the screws the same color (unlike what I did on this one) to help hide them.
We'll get to the hardware in a moment.

The rear proved to be a little tricky. Due to not a whole lot of space between the inner and outer walls on a fleetside bed, I had to create some room. A hammer and a brass drift made just enough room, however, the damage done to the inside was minimal. On a beater, it won't even be noticed. On a glossy pretty inner bed, you may have to get creative and get a better solution. I also had to mount the lens upside down, but hardly anyone will notice. You can even mount the front ones upside down if you are totaly OCD like myself. (I plan on flipping them soon, it bugs me)

On the drivers side of a burb, access to the backside of the panel involves panel removal inside. I can only assume blazers are the same. Pick ups have the advantage here... esp stepsides. The hardware used is not the stock screws. You'll need small nuts and bolts. I had some laying around so i honestly couldn't tell you the size. You have room to play here, they can be smaller than needed, as long as the head doesn't fall through the hole in the sheetmetal, and as long as the bolt will fit through, and reach through the lens. On vehicles where backside access is restricted, you may want to glue the nuts on the backside. A few things to pay attention to, do not get super glue on the lens face, it will fog and ruin the lens, also, don't get it in the threads of the nut. Keep the glue away from painted surfaces, and don't glue the parts to your finger. You'll look like an idiot.

Slip the lens through the opening, then while reaching to the backside, position it into place, Mount it with the nut on the backside of the lens. The fronts can be done quite easily by one person. I have batteries on both sides under my hood, and still managed to do it myself. The rear can be a little tricky, plug the light in, then put the lens through the hole, then reaching up from underneath, guide it into the hole, and then secure with the screws.

Last edited by augie; 05-05-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:32 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: very low buck frenched side marker mod

If you get it right, you'll have frenched... or at least semi-frenched side markers like this;

I never got photos of the rear ones.
The actual end result is much better in person, my crappy underlit photos aren't doing it justice.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate this on the lower end, quite easy in reality. Maybe a 4.
As always, please leave feedback here in the thread. Let me know if I am on to something... or just on something!
Closed Thread