The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2017, 09:41 PM   #276
rkn463

Re: 68 C50 Looongbed pickup build

Since I screwed up and didn’t get the 4-core upper mounts wit this front end:

Name:  CAA.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  47.9 KB

I had to alter the mounts seen at the end of post # 274. Here are the two rubber inserts showing the difference in thickness:

Name:  CAK.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  40.0 KB

So I drilled out the spot welds in the 68 mount and separated the two pieces:

Name:  CAB.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  37.3 KB Name:  CAC.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  109.5 KB

And the one from the 89:

Name:  CAL.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  43.6 KB

That is all the pictures I can put in one post – stay tuned…
-Richard
Old 04-04-2017, 09:49 PM   #277
rkn463

Next I cut the inner from the 68 and the inner from the 89 in order to get the pieces needed to make an inner long enough for the 4-core and welded them together:

Name:  CAD.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  28.3 KB Name:  CAE.jpg
Size:  41.3 KB

I test fit the rubber insert and it came out perfect:

Name:  CAF.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  42.1 KB

Now I needed to alter the outer to add the same amount of length. Unfortunately, no pictures of how I did it but basically I cut a section like this from the 89 outer and trimmed the extra width off, the raised part was the exact width needed:

Name:  XXX.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  42.8 KB

I welded (and ground it and had my outer:

Name:  CAG.jpg
Size:  40.6 KB

5 picture limit hit again.
-Richard
Old 04-04-2017, 10:04 PM   #278
rkn463

Here is the finished product for my first upper mount:

Name:  WWW.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  47.1 KB

And next to the original showing the difference in size:

Name:  CAI.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  38.1 KB

With that done the battery mount was still in the way and I needed to fab a new one that rotated the battery from its stock side to side

Name:  BAA.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  53.2 KB

And re-orient it front to back. The reason is that I run an oversized battery that won’t physically fit side to side in a stock mount. In this picture you can see the spacers (about ¾ inch thick) that I added when I originally redid my battery mount a few years back to allow for the wider battery and to get rid of the rusted out original. This was in the way of the new, wider radiator:

Name:  BAB.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  43.6 KB

The spare front end donated this crusty, rusty mount:

Name:  BAC.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  36.4 KB

5 picture and bed time limits both hit, hope to post more tomorrow.

-Richard
Old 04-05-2017, 01:25 PM   #279
Deer_hunter_088

I love seein the updates! my truck isnt gunna be show quality, its gunna be a driver.

Made in the USA, just like my trucks
Deer_hunter_088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:01 PM   #280
rkn463

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkn463 View Post
...The spare front end donated this crusty, rusty mount...
I cut the rusty battery tray in half, then drilled out the spotwelds and pried off the tray leaving the two side pieces I needed:

Name:  BAD.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  44.6 KB

This is the remains of the tray itself:

Name:  BAE.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  48.4 KB

I cleaned them up on the wire wheel:

Name:  BAF.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  35.9 KB

And then soaked them overnight in WD-40 Rust Remover Soak. It did a pretty good job, the line where part of it was not submerged is clearly visible:

Name:  BAG.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  30.8 KBName:  BAH.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  35.1 KB

5 picture limit...

-Richard
Old 04-05-2017, 10:17 PM   #281
rkn463

I picked up a battery tray for a square body truck From LMC (same tray I had used in my previous mod). The raised portion of the tray seen on the right hand side of the tray in this picture needed to be flattened out:

Name:  BAI.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  36.8 KB

I took it over to the press and smashed that part flat. Not pretty but it will be under the battery and will never be seen:

Name:  BAJ.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  38.3 KB

Next I bolted up the two sides to the truck so that I could fab up the braces that would hold up the tray.

Name:  BAK.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  42.3 KB

I used the same piece of 1x1 thinwall box tubing that had supported the master cylinder the whole time the body was off the frame. Here is a shot of the rear piece carved up to fit snug against the sides:

Name:  BAL.jpg
Size:  27.0 KB

Here are the front and back pieces, cleaned up and ready to weld in with the relief cut in the rear piece for the tray to sit down in:

Name:  BAM.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  34.9 KB

-Richard
Old 04-05-2017, 10:27 PM   #282
rkn463

Here are the two braces sitting in place to test the fit:

Name:  BAN.jpg
Size:  39.1 KB

And with the tray sitting in place:

Name:  BAO.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  46.1 KB

And this horrible picture is after welding in the braces and getting a good coat of paint on them, battery tray in place but not welded (you may notice that I already drilled holes in the tray where my spot welds will end up):

Name:  BAP.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  33.3 KB

I hope to get the tray welded in and the whole mess painted next weekend. I have enough scheduled already that I may not get time to work on it at all.

Still to come: tales of unavailable radiator hoses!

Thanks everyone who is still in, I know it was a long time between updates!

-Richard
Old 04-06-2017, 01:04 PM   #283
Okiefromwatonga

Love this build. Love how you come up with your solutions
Okiefromwatonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:13 PM   #284
rkn463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer_hunter_088 View Post
I love seein the updates!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiefromwatonga View Post
Love this build. Love how you come up with your solutions
Thanks for hanging in through the extended silence. Unfortunately additional updates will be slow until the fence project is completed. I do have a bit more regarding an alteration to the alternator bracket but I need pictures to illustrate...

-Richard
Old 04-06-2017, 10:44 PM   #285
Advanced Design

Nice work on the radiator mount and the battery tray / mount too. Looking forward to the tales of unavailable radiator hoses.

A half mile of fence is a bunch...getting that wrapped up soon?
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:01 PM   #286
rkn463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Nice work on the radiator mount and the battery tray / mount too. Looking forward to the tales of unavailable radiator hoses.

A half mile of fence is a bunch...getting that wrapped up soon?
Doug,
Nice to hear from you, I hope all is well with you and your family.

The radiator hose debacle is a sore spot but I promise I will share. Regarding the fence, I finally finished the cleanup phase last Saturday, we will start drilling holes in the rock tomorrow morning. We've built a lot of fence in the past but I have no experience with drilling in rock so I don't know how long the actual building will take. I just pray that we don't break an auger bit. Between the 12" and the 2" puff auger I'm in almost two grand, I really don't want to have to replace one! (The quote to have it built was exorbitant)

-Richard
Old 04-12-2017, 10:56 AM   #287
Deer_hunter_088

Quote:
Doug,
Nice to hear from you, I hope all is well with you and your family.

The radiator hose debacle is a sore spot but I promise I will share. Regarding the fence, I finally finished the cleanup phase last Saturday, we will start drilling holes in the rock tomorrow morning. We've built a lot of fence in the past but I have no experience with drilling in rock so I don't know how long the actual building will take. I just pray that we don't break an auger bit. Between the 12" and the 2" puff auger I'm in almost two grand, I really don't want to have to replace one! (The quote to have it built was exorbitant)

-Richard
I FOUND THE SOLUTION TO YOUR HOSE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that flex stuff, atleast for a temp so you can DRIVE the thing. weve used it for years on my bils truck, and no overheat problem. just ziptie it so it dont get caught in somethin like i found out

Old 04-17-2017, 09:42 PM   #288
LynnB

You sir, are a retard (and a genius). Welcome to the club. I am president of our local chapter (retard club... afraid I haven't achieve genius yet).

I don't know how I missed this thread. Freakin awesome build. I love old trucks, especially the BIG ones.

Your thread reminds me of two of my past ventures.

1. Back in the 70's I was a part time youth pastor. The church owned this old worn out converted 60's school bus with a REALLY worn out GMC V6. It would barely run. I volunteered my time to swap in a tall deck 427 out of a big Chevy truck. Lots of little issues, but got it done. Used a Holley 780 carb and ran dual 2.5 inch exhaust all the way out the back. Not nearly as extensive as your project, but it did remind me of that swap. I was working at a Buick dealership at the time and they let me bring the bus to the dealership for the swap.

2. I just finished a great build putting a 1972 C50 drive train in my 49 Studebaker farm truck. I upgraded the 350 engine to a moder roller cam. Lots of issues, but really a fun project... again, not nearly as involved as yours. Very abbreviated build thread here, just in case someone is interested: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ans-into-2R16A

Laughed out loud when I read this:

In cutting the rivets out I had slightly cut into the plates which ultimately creates a weak spot where a crack might form right where it will bolt back together. So I went to weld them up and on the very first arc a molten ball of slag dropped through one of the many holes in my work jeans, rolled down my leg, into my boot and came to rest on top of my foot.

BTW, I have done this twice, albeit while using a cutting torch. I have a scar on the instep of each foot. i TOLD you I was president of the local chapter.

I also set my pants on fire in Jan 2015 while cutting some huge pieces of steel. My wife was helping me by standing on the steel. She had a fire extinquisher in her hand, but didn't realize I was on fire. I said: "Really? I'm on fire and you won't put me out?" Of course, she would have if she had realized what was going on. She is an angel, and helps me with ALL my bone headed projects.

REALLY looking forward to seeing the rest of this. My hat is off to you.

Lynn
LynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:18 PM   #289
rkn463

Quote:
I FOUND THE SOLUTION TO YOUR HOSE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that flex stuff, atleast for a temp so you can DRIVE the thing. weve used it for years on my bils truck, and no overheat problem. just ziptie it so it dont get caught in somethin like i found out
I think I may have the hose situation worked out - stay tuned for updates...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnB View Post
You sir, are a retard (and a genius). Welcome to the club. I am president of our local chapter (retard club... afraid I haven't achieve genius yet).

I don't know how I missed this thread. Freakin awesome build. I love old trucks, especially the BIG ones.

Your thread reminds me of two of my past ventures.

1. Back in the 70's I was a part time youth pastor. The church owned this old worn out converted 60's school bus with a REALLY worn out GMC V6. It would barely run. I volunteered my time to swap in a tall deck 427 out of a big Chevy truck. Lots of little issues, but got it done. Used a Holley 780 carb and ran dual 2.5 inch exhaust all the way out the back. Not nearly as extensive as your project, but it did remind me of that swap. I was working at a Buick dealership at the time and they let me bring the bus to the dealership for the swap.

2. I just finished a great build putting a 1972 C50 drive train in my 49 Studebaker farm truck. I upgraded the 350 engine to a moder roller cam. Lots of issues, but really a fun project... again, not nearly as involved as yours. Very abbreviated build thread here, just in case someone is interested: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ans-into-2R16A

Laughed out loud when I read this:

In cutting the rivets out I had slightly cut into the plates which ultimately creates a weak spot where a crack might form right where it will bolt back together. So I went to weld them up and on the very first arc a molten ball of slag dropped through one of the many holes in my work jeans, rolled down my leg, into my boot and came to rest on top of my foot.

BTW, I have done this twice, albeit while using a cutting torch. I have a scar on the instep of each foot. i TOLD you I was president of the local chapter.

I also set my pants on fire in Jan 2015 while cutting some huge pieces of steel. My wife was helping me by standing on the steel. She had a fire extinquisher in her hand, but didn't realize I was on fire. I said: "Really? I'm on fire and you won't put me out?" Of course, she would have if she had realized what was going on. She is an angel, and helps me with ALL my bone headed projects.

REALLY looking forward to seeing the rest of this. My hat is off to you.

Lynn
Lynn, glad you enjoyed it! That is funny about the wife not putting you out when you were on fire, good visual! I went over to the other forum and checked out your build but was disappointed that I need a login to see the photos. I'm not sure why so many forums do that; I may go back and sign up so that I can see the pictures. I had followed a few of your posts since you've been on here and thought that you had posted at least one picture on thsi forum but couldn't find it just now.

Oh, I am proud to be in the retard club myself

-Richard
Old 04-20-2017, 09:04 AM   #290
Deer_hunter_088

Quote:
I think I may have the hose situation worked out - stay tuned for updates...

Lynn, glad you enjoyed it! That is funny about the wife not putting you out when you were on fire, good visual! I went over to the other forum and checked out your build but was disappointed that I need a login to see the photos. I'm not sure why so many forums do that; I may go back and sign up so that I can see the pictures. I had followed a few of your posts since you've been on here and thought that you had posted at least one picture on thsi forum but couldn't find it just now.

-Richard
Rich, im starting to seriously wonder if my truck will be done before yours, got a grill comin may 6th, and it runs and drives, and has ALL the rad hoses

Old 04-21-2017, 12:14 AM   #291
rkn463

Quote:
Rich, im starting to seriously wonder if my truck will be done before yours, got a grill comin may 6th, and it runs and drives, and has ALL the rad hoses
You may indeed, keep after it.

-Richard
Old 04-21-2017, 09:03 AM   #292
Deer_hunter_088

Quote:
You may indeed, keep after it.

-Richard
I plan to, but i wanna see your big truck run. and drive, and be awesome, and all that.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:45 PM   #293
LynnB

-Richard[/QUOTE]

Hate to hijack your thread. I may start a new one and post an abbreviated version of my build thread from the Studebaker site.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:23 PM   #294
rkn463

Quote:
Hate to hijack your thread. I may start a new one and post an abbreviated version of my build thread from the Studebaker site.
Go for it!

-Richard
Old 05-05-2017, 11:15 AM   #295
Deer_hunter_088

Quote:
Go for it!

-Richard
Any new updates? my truck smoked some wiring so harness needs rebuilt or replaced.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:42 PM   #296
Stephen717

So I had money to finally get the wiring harness for my truck... but I ended up spending it on new tires as an early father's day gift. but I recouped half of what I spent and am back on my way to a wiring harness. By the time I have the money it will be back in stock. That's my update since February, now wheres the update on your truck. I've been patiently waiting for to long.
Stephen717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:12 PM   #297
rkn463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen717 View Post
So I had money to finally get the wiring harness for my truck... but I ended up spending it on new tires as an early father's day gift. but I recouped half of what I spent and am back on my way to a wiring harness. By the time I have the money it will be back in stock. That's my update since February, now wheres the update on your truck. I've been patiently waiting for to long.
Thanks for hanging in. My seemingly never ending fence project should wrap up next weekend. Not sure how much time I will be able to devote to this project as my DD needs a new motor.

-Richard
Old 05-11-2017, 10:17 PM   #298
LynnB

looking forward to updates. In the meantime, here are a couple pics of my Studebaker farm truck with the 1972 Chevy C50 drive line. Too lazy to start my own thread.
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2017, 09:07 AM   #299
Deer_hunter_088

I fixed my wiring, just to test the truck out now.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:10 PM   #300
rkn463

Quote:
looking forward to updates. In the meantime, here are a couple pics of my Studebaker farm truck with the 1972 Chevy C50 drive line. Too lazy to start my own thread.
Good looking truck!

Quote:
I fixed my wiring, just to test the truck out now.
Good deal!

OK, so it has been too long since an update again. The good news is I finished the fence project Saturday, here is the drive by:

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUP53zVq1JQ

(If someone wants to show me how to embed a YouTube video I'd be glad for some instructions!)

The bad news is my daily driver has 318 thousand miles on it and needs a new motor. It has developed a drinking problem, both coolant and oil. I drive in excess of 600 miles a week and I’m feeding it over ten dollars in extra fluids extra per week right now. I must say with that many miles I can’t complain. Anyway, that will likely cut in to my available time for this project.

That being said, some progress has happened since my last update. First I fabricated the second radiator mount. I don’t know if I mentioned it at the time buy that extremely expensive radiator that I had made is twisted. In other words if you try to lay it flat on the floor the two tanks don’t lay flat at the same time. It’s like if you took the core by the ends and twisted it. It ended up about 3/8 of an inch out of whack. This means that after I fabbed the mount, the holes were in the wrong place. The core was a bit wide as well. Here is how it looked:

Name:  mount 1.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  33.0 KB

So I added some material and drilled new holes. I doesn’t look pretty but it works.

Name:  mount 2.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  33.1 KB

Something else that happened along the way is one of my back tires has began to self destruct. Although I wasn’t going to use the 19.5 wheel/tire combo I’m still disappointed:

Name:  bubble.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  42.1 KB

Stay tuned, more to come.
-Richard

Last edited by rkn463; 05-15-2017 at 10:14 PM. Reason: bad link
rkn463 is offline   Reply With Quote