The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
ryans69chevy

suspension upgrades for a '69 c10

I'm wondering which route to take with my '69 chevy c10. It's a 2wd longbed and I'm going to do a frame off resto. I sold the 307 and throwing in a 454 with a tremec 6 speed. I'm going to need disc brakes for sure. I really like the wilwood brake system. What I'm wondering is if I should do all around disc brakes or just the fronts? Right now it's just drum brake system. What size rotors should I go with? I want to keep it a 6 lug as well.

I like the way the original suspension rides and everything, but is there some modifications I should do since I'm going this indepth that would be a good investment and make the truck ride even better? I'm not going to lower my truck, I'm going to keep the same height.

I'd love to hear your ideas of what I should do and pics would help also.

Thanks,
Ryan
ryans69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: suspension upgrades for a '69 c10

A better ride would be air bags http://www.ridetech.com/store/ Ridetech makes some nice stuff it will ride smoother you can adjust the height anywhere you want it.If you don't want air bags http://www.hotchkis.net/ has some nice stuff too.I would do front only disc its cheaper,Rear disc are nice but they wear out faster then drums and the rear only really does about 30% of total braking.A few brake kits http://www.classicperform.com/NewPro...op_Spindle.htm
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Ryan there are several things that can be done to improve your ride and handling performance. Adding the weight a 454 to a LWB truck isn't productive in that direction, but lets look at what you can do to offset those problems.

The first thing you want to do is ensure that all of your suspension components are replaced with quality parts. Rebuild the front suspension and ad a sway bar if you don't have one. Your going to need quality shocks to control the added weight of the BBC, so consider some billet adjustables if you want to have the ability to tune the ride.

In the rear you should consider a sway bar too. Combine that with quality shocks and the ride will improve.

I know you prefer stock height, but you might look at a mild lowering job too. The lower center of gravity will help with handling too.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
ryans69chevy

I wouldn't mind having my front a little lower, but I would think I could accomplish that look by just adding the big block. What parts are able to be tuned to improve ride quality? I've never done anything with my suspension so I don't know what stuff is needed to be done to compensate for the extra weight and power... I see or hear a lot of people putting spindles or drop spindles on these trucks. Is this something that I should be looking at as well? Or is that only if your intending to lower your truck?

Thanks,
Ryan
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
Pro Performance

The spindles are intended to lower your truck for the most part. They do offer some sort of handling improvement, as it is lowering your center of gravity. I would suggest, like N2Trux did, a mild drop using lowering springs. The weight of the BBC might get you lower, but you are still riding on old springs that weren't made with handling in mind. A good set of quality lowering springs, like Hotchkis, will improve and have been designed with different spring rates with handling in mind.

As for brakes, if you want to keep the 6-lug, Baer is your only option if considering a larger brake setup with aluminum style calipers, etc. They make a GT plus kit that is affordable, but keep in mind you have to use the CPP modular spindle to make these work. The stock or stock style drop spindle doesn't work with the Baer kits.

Overall, I think sway bars, 2" drop springs, 2" drop spindles, Baer brakes will give you a nice handling truck and much greater stopping power. A 4" drop on these truck are mild. Keep in mind that the 4" drop is from factory height, not from the height it may be now with sagging springs.

Let us know if we can help you out with what your trying to achieve. We do carry all brands mentioned above, including Ridetech.

- Travis
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
Scottshotrods

Here is one more option for you.We carry Cpp parts at our shop and they do offer bigger brake kits so you can keep your 6 lug rotors front and rear.We have dropped spindals, dropped springs front and rear in stock.As well as shocks and sway-bars.

You can e-mail us or call us or p/m us

justin@scottshhotrods.com
scotts@scottshotrods.com
(805)485-0382
Scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #7
ryans69chevy

So if I wanted a pair of wilwood brakes what would I have to do to make these work? If I wanted to keep it stock height? How big of rotors could I get? I know that might not be my best option as I should upgrade all my suspension parts to get the truck back to decent running order and to compensate for the extra weight. If I did go for a bigger rotor kit and get new springs or those drop spindles then how big of rotors could I get or should I get for my application? What else would I need to make everything come together properly?

Thanks,
Ryan

My friend put discs on the front of his 68 camaro which forced him to get a larger rim because the cragars he had wouldn't work with the disc brakes. Am I going to be rescricted to stay with a certain size rim or couldn't go below a certain size?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2012, 12:27 AM   #8
Pro Performance

Ryan,

The largest Wilwood kit you can go with is a 14", and the other option is a 13", both requiring the CPP drop spindle. The good thing about the CPP modular spindle is it not only lowers your truck 2", but also will tuck the wheel in 3/4" per side when compared to the stock drum spindle. When going to a larger rotor, it will require larger wheels to clear the larger diameter brakes. A 13" brake kit requires at least a 17" wheel, and a 18" wheel for the 14" kit.

For a street driven truck that is a weekend cruiser, the 13" will be plenty in my opinion. It is alwayd a good idea to also get new braided brake lines at the same time while you are at it. For the rear, you could match the same 13" rotor, or go with a 12" which would work well in most applications. To put everything together properly, I would suggest a new master cylinder that is correct for a disc brake setup. A proportioning valve as well.

We do have the Wilwood kits listed on our site, but make sure to contact me for better pricing when ready to purchase. We are a direct Wilwood dealer. Hope this answered your questions and can always contact us if needed.

Link to Wilwood kits on our site: http://www.azproperformance.com/Wilw...kes-67-72-C10/

Travis
480-420-8175
Travis@azproperformance.com
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Pro Performance; 05-18-2012 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Typos
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote