The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
In The Ten Ring

How exactly do I take out the gas tank?

Moderators: thank you so much for allowing me on. I figured it would happen eventually but I am very happy now!

I have a 1972 Custon 10 Stepside that my dad bought new off the lot in 1971 for $2300.00. It has the wheel on the side and a 3 speed manual on the column, 250 straight 6 engine, and single barrel carb. I've messed up and let it sit for 7 years in my garage but honestly, it wasn't running right then. Dad had let it sit 10 years prior to that in his garage and never got rid of the old gasoline. It would stall out in the middle of the road.

Last week I siphoned out the old gas from the tank, changed the oil and filter, and drained the radiator, replacing that with distilled water. My next goal is to remove the seat and gas tank and have the tank cleaned, carb rebuilt, and blow out my fuel lines with compressed air.

How exactly do I remove the gas tank nozzle from where it sticks out the side of the truck?

Thanks!

*38 years old, single, ski instructor and small business owner.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
colin_havens

Re: How exactly do I take out the gas tank?

Its not bad. Pull the seat of course, and if you have the gas tank cover pull that off to reveal the gas tank. Undo the gas lines, and and the seatbelt bolts. Then you will see the bolts that hold the tank in place all around the edges of the tank. Unbolt those, take the gas cap off, and you should be able to slide the tank out the passenger door. Good luck!
colin_havens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
In The Ten Ring

Passenger door eh? OK! I was figuring that was the better choice over the driver's side door.

Gosh I hope it's that easy! I will have to shove my truck sideways to make room in my small garage.....pushing the truck outside will not work as my driveway is on a steep hill.

Would putting two hydraulic jacks under the front and rear frame work for shoving it sideways to make room?

ITTR
Old 07-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Scottcoda

Hey man, I just did this yesterday on my 68 gmc and the one piece of advice i can give is considering buying new rubber.. the 68 has a rubber gromett between the metal filler neck and the cab but since i knew that a new one was coming i was able to destroy the old one making the removal much easier... the rubber parts are cheap to replace and better to replace them now rather than next year when your cab is fuel of fumes and you gotta take the tank out again.. good luck
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Scottcoda; 07-09-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Scottcoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
JointTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
How exactly do I remove the gas tank nozzle from where it sticks out the side of the truck?
pull.
hard.
cutting the gasket makes it easy and a new one is just a few bucks. Ive read you can grease it up real well if you are going to keep it.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
The Gore

Once u free the filler neck you can bring it out driver
Side. If empty alot easier to handle. 4 screws in
Bottom along with seat belt bolts. I have had mine out 3 times
This month. Been working on body and needed to move it
In between. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
The Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
In The Ten Ring

OK...thanks guys!

Where does one find this new gasket for the fuel tank?
Old 07-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
The Gore

You can find it on eBay. Around 7 dollars.
If they don't have what u need then go to
LMC . com all parts you need
Be there. They are priced well.
Posted via Mobile Device
The Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #9
PatrickGMC70

I did this when I first got my truck. 1970 GMC.

First, I would just echo that taking the tank out is pretty easy, just a few bolts and you can wiggle it out of the cab. Do yourself a favor and make sure it's as empty as you can get it. Mine was half full and damn, it was still pretty heavy. I'd also wear gloves because there isn't much to grab on to except the edges, which could be sharp when you're pulling on the tank. (I took two screwdrivers and put each one through bolt holes at each end of the tank to help pick it up.)

As for a new tank, I'd definitely get new stuff - the parts aren't that expensive and yo up probably have a whole lot of nasty in the bottom of your stock tank. (Companies like Eastwood make kits to clean and refurnish your stock tank. I haven't personally used it, but there are a lot of posts about it on this board if you want to research that option.)

You want the rubber grommet for the filler neck (some dish shop helps get the tank neck through the grommet). I'd also replace the sending unit if yours is old, at the very least the gasket between the sender and the tank - that's an easy spot for gas fumes filling the cab.

There's a special tool for removing the sending unit lock ring, but you can get by with just a screwdriver or punch. I'd recommend using something brass if you can - you don't want to use something made of steel or iron and risk any sparks.

Lastly, I would be particular about where you buy any replacement tank. The grommets/sending unit/etc. are pretty standard parts so they're less of a big deal. I got everything from LMC - everything was good except that the tank was NOT an exact fit. Trust me, wrestling with that tank is not a fun project. It seemed like it was just a little too fat, and no matter how you moved it, there were always two bolt holes that didn't quite line up. The only reason I kept it was a combination of my own inexperience and not wanting to deal with the hassle of the return shipping for such a huge item. The tanks are available at many vendors for around $150-$200. If I had to do it over, I wouldn't buy my tank from them again, but others may have different experiences.

If you're new to these trucks, I would say start with the board vendors first. They know these trucks. Overall, shop for the best quality regardless of price. The next best option is to shop for the best quality for the price (i.e. value). After that, if you get to the point where you're shopping only on price, you will get burned before you know it.

Good luck!
PatrickGMC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:21 AM   #10
In The Ten Ring

Thanks man.

I ordered some door handles and side mirrors from LMC Truck once and although they fit fine, they began to spot even though the truck was garage kept and never was outside!

I also got some trunions from them and they didn't fit! I had to go back with what came on the truck (for the tailgate) so I'm a bit squeamish with that company.

When you say "site vendors" are those the ones advertising on this forum?

**So, instead of having my gas tank cleaned, you think I should just get a new one?
Old 07-10-2013, 01:21 AM   #11
Scottcoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
**So, instead of having my gas tank cleaned, you think I should just get a new one?
I researched diffrent companys for tanks and although they all claim they are made to be a perfect replacement most of them come from overseas.. a reccomendation from this site told me to check out rockauto.com. They had the best price for a spectra tank.. spectra is made just over the border outside of montreal canada so that was the tank for me.. for the price it was just not worth the hassle to bother with a fail patch or gunky crap on the bottom.. I think with a 5% coupon it came out to be around $169 to the door.. now the truck is just waiting for its new tank and carpet
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2013, 01:36 AM   #12
PatrickGMC70

I can't offer an opinion about cleaning a gas tank because I've never done it.

I guess I'd just be reluctant to do it because replacement tanks are relatively cheap and available, and even a cleaned tank is still somewhere between 40 and 50 years old. I guess it would depend on how much the cleaning products cost and the amount of time and labor involved.

I generally like to re-use and rebuild the original stuff. For example, I had my original radiator pressure tested, flushed, and reprinted rather than replace it. But that only cost me $40 for the testing, flush, and repair, about $6 for some paint, and very little extra time. A new radiator would be $300 and up. That was an easy decision.

But the gas tank sealer systems are somewhere between $34 (Eastwood) and $80 (Por-15) and have 3 or more steps in the process. I'm certainly not rich, but if my choices were $50-$60 and a whole day restoring a 40 year old tank or $150 for a simple swap and having a brand new tank, I'd be leaning toward a new tank. Your mileage may vary.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2013, 01:39 AM   #13
PatrickGMC70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottcoda View Post
I researched diffrent companys for tanks and although they all claim they are made to be a perfect replacement most of them come from overseas.. a reccomendation from this site told me to check out rockauto.com. They had the best price for a spectra tank.. spectra is made just over the border outside of montreal canada so that was the tank for me.. for the price it was just not worth the hassle to bother with a fail patch or gunky crap on the bottom.. I think with a 5% coupon it came out to be around $169 to the door.. now the truck is just waiting for its new tank and carpet
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
I know that it's stupid, but I HATE when I order something from them and there's no car magnet in the box!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #14
In The Ten Ring

Thanks again guys.

A local garage that specializes in older vehicles quoted me $100.00 to clean the tank. I've never had any gas fumes in the cab and it doesn't appear to be leaking.

I agree, $170.00 shipped would be a good deal for a totally new tank.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:53 AM   #15
In The Ten Ring

With the tank out, I guess it would be a good time to consider shoulder harness seat belts?