The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2020, 10:47 AM   #351
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Re: 1971 Stepside LS Build

I self quarantined to the pick and pull yesterday afternoon. It was 86 degrees here with no wind, so glad I was able to leave work early. Anyway, I have been working on modifying my brake pedal so it mates to the stock push rod in the hydroboost. I needed the stock GM brake pin. I found a Tahoe that had the front seats and most of the dash out as a donor. It was still a giant PITA because of course I only had one 18mm wrench with me. Anyway, pin is out and I have it mocked up in my pedal. More to come...
Attached Images

1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:57 PM   #352
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

After mocking up the brake pedal with the GM pin I discovered the lining it up with the existing factory pedal hole was incorrect. When the pedal was pushed the pin went up too far and created too steep of an angle on the push rod. It worked, but not like it should. So, I cut the entire thing off the pedal and started over. Moved the pin down about 1/2" and not I get full travel of the push rod and the pedal goes to about a 1/2" of the floor. I did have to move my DBW gas pedal over some because I felt the pedal was too close. The pic is after I moved it.

Since I can't go to the store to pick up parts I went to my storage shed and found my bumper brackets. Cleaned them up, painted and installed. I was hoping to go to LMC this weekend and pick up my new grill, but the counter is closed. Guess I'll have to pay shipping.
Attached Images

1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

Old 03-30-2020, 01:17 PM   #353
KMC3420

Nice job on the pedal mod! There are many local places not open to the public right now, which makes shipping an extra cost unfortunately. Keep chipping away, the truck is looking great.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:29 PM   #354
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Let's hope it fits as nice as it looks. LMC got it out very fast. Perk of living close to KC.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2020, 05:21 PM   #355
sprint_9

Awesome, I'm looking forward to seeing it on.
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:29 AM   #356
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I only had about 30 minutes to mess around in the garage last night. Overall impressions of the grill is that it is a solid piece. Much more so than the OEM grill surround. The chrome is probably a 8 out of 10, but again I think it is much nicer than the OEM aluminum. Fit...here we go. It is close, but needs lots more work. I focused on the drivers side and got pretty close. I then moved to the passenger side and got it as close as the other side. I then went to shut the hood to find that the grill does not "bow" out in the middle far enough for the hood to clear. Pretty easy fix when you install the latch it corrects it....but...it then screwed up the passenger side. So, I think it will get there with a lot more work. I'll keep you posted. If any of you have tips that have done this before please let me know.
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2020, 08:51 PM   #357
sprint_9

What I did on mine was get the sides where you want them, get all the bolts in, and then tighten them. Then either muscle it yourself or get a helper and pull like heck to get the center brace lined up and a bolt in.

If I remember right it feels like your going to break something when your pulling in the center to get it lined up, its just a tough fit.

Also, I just saw in your pictures that part of the center bracket is on the floor. I had the entire center bracket assembled and installed with loose bolts holding it to the core support. The grille slides between the latch bracket and the middle brace, that was the first bolt I put in to hold everything out in the center after you muscle it into place.

Last edited by sprint_9; 04-02-2020 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:48 AM   #358
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Quote:
What I did on mine was get the sides where you want them, get all the bolts in, and then tighten them. Then either muscle it yourself or get a helper and pull like heck to get the center brace lined up and a bolt in.

If I remember right it feels like your going to break something when your pulling in the center to get it lined up, its just a tough fit.

Also, I just saw in your pictures that part of the center bracket is on the floor. I had the entire center bracket assembled and installed with loose bolts holding it to the core support. The grille slides between the latch bracket and the middle brace, that was the first bolt I put in to hold everything out in the center after you muscle it into place.
Great advice! I was only able to get the top bolt in on each side. The other top bolt holes don't line up and neither do any of the bolt holes on the bottom. So, I plan to correct that first so I can bolt it like you suggest. Do you have a pic of how your grill lined up with your fenders on the very front...down by the bumper? It seems like the grill will need to go in further to allow the side of the fenders to seat with the grill, but if I push it in far enough to do that then the front bottom of the frill sits in from the fenders...hope that makes sense. I'll work on it tonight hopefully.

Paint shop called me last night. They are slowing down due to the craziness and said they would take my bed next week to get started on paint. Lots to do to get that ready by mid-week.

Old 04-03-2020, 09:54 AM   #359
MDPotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post

Paint shop called me last night. They are slowing down due to the craziness and said they would take my bed next week to get started on paint. Lots to do to get that ready by mid-week.
That's exciting! Do you have a color picked out?
1978 Chevy Scottsdale K20
1993 Chevy C1500 - 5.3/T56 swapped
2008 Silverado Duramax
MDPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:51 AM   #360
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Quote:
That's exciting! Do you have a color picked out?
We are going to do some test panels, but I'm leaning toward Quicksilver Metallic (2019 Denali color) or the Mercedes Brilliant Silver. I think with the red frame and red interior she will look fast standing still. Original plan was all red, but I think I will get tired of that. When I started the build years ago those mono color builds was just what you did.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:21 AM   #361
MDPotter

That will look good. You may already know this, but a suggestion on metallic paint - metallics are much more difficult to spray than solid colors. I painted my dad's truck stone blue metallic in pieces and there is some mismatch that bothers me. Metallics are hard to spray because the gun settings, number of coats, temperature, all make a difference. If I could go back, I would have sprayed the jambs, between cab and bed, inside of bed, etc. and then assembled and painted the whole thing at once. Or at least sprayed everything with the same number of coats. I think the issue in my case was not getting full coverage on a few panels so they came out lighter than the others which I put more coats on. Solid colors cover in 2-3 coats, but metallic can take 5 or more. It also helps to use a sealer prior to paint for a uniform substrate and it helps with coverage.

But I'm willing to bet that your body guy is much better at painting than I am, so I'm sure he's thought about it and has a plan. I would at least have the conversation with him to give you some peace of mind and establish some expectations.
2008 Silverado Duramax
Old 04-03-2020, 12:28 PM   #362
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Quote:
That will look good. You may already know this, but a suggestion on metallic paint - metallics are much more difficult to spray than solid colors. I painted my dad's truck stone blue metallic in pieces and there is some mismatch that bothers me. Metallics are hard to spray because the gun settings, number of coats, temperature, all make a difference. If I could go back, I would have sprayed the jambs, between cab and bed, inside of bed, etc. and then assembled and painted the whole thing at once. Or at least sprayed everything with the same number of coats. I think the issue in my case was not getting full coverage on a few panels so they came out lighter than the others which I put more coats on. Solid colors cover in 2-3 coats, but metallic can take 5 or more. It also helps to use a sealer prior to paint for a uniform substrate and it helps with coverage.

But I'm willing to bet that your body guy is much better at painting than I am, so I'm sure he's thought about it and has a plan. I would at least have the conversation with him to give you some peace of mind and establish some expectations.
This is good information. The shop does a lot of insurance work, so they are very used to blending. They already informed me of silver and how fun it is, but they also didn't like the Viper Red. They have assured me that it will all blend. My best friend of 40 years owns the shop and he knows how OCD I am We are planning to do what you said and cut it all in and then fit and gap and shoot final coats. May do the bed on its own since the stepside can be more forgiving on panel match than a fleet would. I just hate I won't be able to QC daily like I would like to, but I think they are glad that I can't.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:45 PM   #363
MDPotter

Awesome, glad to hear that you've got a solid connection there. And that's true, the stepside will be more forgiving next to the cab than a fleetside.
2008 Silverado Duramax
Old 04-03-2020, 01:08 PM   #364
sprint_9

That's going to be exciting to get some paint going.

More to add I kind of forgot about. I had to loosen my fenders on the core support to get everything inline and the bolts started. I then tightened the grille side bolts. From there I think I got the center pulled out. Then I went back and adjusted on the fenders and tightened them back to the core support. By that point there isn't alot of adjustment left in the fenders as everything is getting tied together. One thing I did do that helped everything fit better was add a shim to the drivers side fender to core support. That really helped my hood gap so it was a double benefit in my case.

I will snap some pictures tonight when I get home from work.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:41 PM   #365
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Quote:
That's going to be exciting to get some paint going.

More to add I kind of forgot about. I had to loosen my fenders on the core support to get everything inline and the bolts started. I then tightened the grille side bolts. From there I think I got the center pulled out. Then I went back and adjusted on the fenders and tightened them back to the core support. By that point there isn't alot of adjustment left in the fenders as everything is getting tied together. One thing I did do that helped everything fit better was add a shim to the drivers side fender to core support. That really helped my hood gap so it was a double benefit in my case.

I will snap some pictures tonight when I get home from work.
I was thinking I was going to have to do this. Did you have your inner fenders in to do this? I am assuming I am going to have to take them out to get the fenders to want to move at all.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:32 PM   #366
sprint_9

I had my inner fenders in, but all the bolts loosened. If I remember right the only bolts left tight on the fenders were the 2 that hold the top of the fender to the cab. Everything else was loosened. I also had a very hard time getting all the bolts started when working on the grille bracket to fender.

I attached some pictures of the fender to grille alignment I had. Down by and behind the bumper where its kind of dished in was very tight, but did line up and match the fender dish.
Attached Images

Last edited by sprint_9; 04-04-2020 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:00 PM   #367
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Thanks sprint! I worked on it some, but the body shop foreman came over on Saturday to see the truck before it shows up and he said to leave it and he would work it. It hopefully goes this Thursday. They think I will have it back by June. They did say they will paint it all the same day. I started pulling it apart to get it ready to go.

I did get brave enough to cut a hole in my maple wood for the gas fill. One 9.5% stout calmed the nerves enough But, then I pulled all the wood out and didn't take a pic while it was still in the floor. This is the Boyd set up.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2020, 12:14 PM   #368
MDPotter

That Boyd filler is the nicest looking setup I've seen. So what are you going to do until June?!
2008 Silverado Duramax
Old 04-06-2020, 12:30 PM   #369
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Quote:
That Boyd filler is the nicest looking setup I've seen. So what are you going to do until June?!
Great question! I am going to sand the snot out of this wood I guess

I will get the frame back after they get all panels fit. So, I plan to go over the entire thing and check torque etc. Hopefully, put exhaust on it and have it ready to roll back under the cab. If that doesn't work, my wife will have a list of things I can do around the house I'm sure.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:27 AM   #370
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Today is the day!! Taking her to the shop for final blocking and paint!! I'm a little nervous about picking the paint color as I had four cards sprayed out and they all were very similar. Good news is the wife picked the same one that I did.

Old 04-08-2020, 12:21 PM   #371
MDPotter

"Final blocking and paint"

You make it sound so easy! HAHA

Great that you and the wife could agree on a color. I bet she wants to drive it too, doesn't she?
2008 Silverado Duramax
Old 04-09-2020, 09:25 AM   #372
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Quote:
You make it sound so easy! HAHA
It is, now that I am paying someone to do it Keeps my buddies guys employed through this and saves me a. lot. of. work.

They even came and picked her up yesterday for me. I think she enjoyed getting out of the garage...looks happy anyway.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2020, 09:50 AM   #373
MDPotter

Yep, it's an important time to do what we can to keep everyone working. I'm excited to see it progress in the next few months at the body shop!
2008 Silverado Duramax
Old 04-09-2020, 12:28 PM   #374
KMC3420

Awesome progress! Seeing it outside of your own garage probably feels a little foreign. Looking at the pic with the hood popped, the stance looks perfect.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:30 AM   #375
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I went to check on her yesterday. They already have the bed off and are blocking it. They put her by the window so she could see out. She looks happy to be out of that small garage

I worked on sanding the boards for the bed all weekend.
Attached Images