The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
Matt Man

Air conditioning air flow

Well my ac has been replaced with 134 so it works pretty good blows plenty cold,

anyway it blows pretty good out the top but blows like a tornado out the bottom i was wondering if theres something i can do to put more of the air out of the bottom to the top vents? i tried adjusting it with the lever under the glove box but that didnt work. Is it normal to blow out the bottom that much when the ac is on high?
2020 Silverado Double Cab LT Z71 5.3 8 speed Daily Driver

K10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671934

The Peach build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=733903

Last edited by Matt Man; 05-15-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Matt Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
tucsonjwt

Re: Air conditioning air flow

Here are some things I have experienced with my 83 C20:

Make sure that all of the air ducts are seated in their adjoining duct (one slips into the other). My ducts have often been dislodged somewhat and that messes up the airflow. Start from the center air box below the dash and go from there.

I like the air to blow directly on me, not the floor, so make sure that the ducts going to the outboard dash vanes and the center vane are intact. I got some HVAC shinny silver tape (not duct tape) and taped the duct joints to seal them and prevent air loss under the dash. It is a real pain to get these ducts in place and stay there, especially the outside vanes and the center vane. I had to remove the dash to do mine right. Also, make sure that the air hose going from the center under dash distribution box to the right side dash vane is in place - you can remove the glove box and get at this somewhat.

I close the passenger side dash vane and point the other dash vanes at my face.

If you do these things you should get about the same amount out of the bottom as the top (for the driver's side).

When I had my square bodies converted to 134 from R12, I noticed a significant drop in cooling - still cool but not like R12. With the R12, the A/C cooled so much that the defects I described above didn't seem to make much difference. Of course, it is 115 degrees in the shade in the Arizona desert, so we notice marginal cooling right away.

I know this duct sealing is a pain, but I found it was worth the effort. Good luck.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote