The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2007, 12:47 PM   #1
350stepside

Chevrolet 200 transmission will only shift at very high RPM, wont shift into 3rd gear

I have a 1964 Chevrolet c10 with a 1986 350 and 200 transmission. I hear that these transmission are junk, however I would like to save it if I can.

My Chevrolet 200 transmission will only shift at very high RPM. I also can't seem to get it to shift into 3rd gear. Is there an adjustment to make this transmission shift at a lower RPM? Or is my transmission garbage?

Thank you

Taylor
350stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:29 PM   #2
ChevyTech

Re: Chevrolet 200 transmission will only shift at very high RPM, wont shift into 3rd

I see it’s your first post. Welcome to the message board.

The TH-200 and TH-200C have no vacuum line (hence no vacuum modulator), only a TV cable.

Check the TV cable adjustment.

You could also check the governor gear.

Here is a little info from the link below:
TH-200
A light three speed transmission that is the same length as a TH-350. Remember, the TH-200 and TH-200C have no vacuum line (hence no vacuum modulator), only a TV cable, check and readjust. It's adjustment can destroy a tranny if incorrectly adjusted. The modulator is controlled by the TV Cable. It is not a downshift cable like the TH-350's.
Durability
If the original trans is a TH-200 then it is probably not worth rebuilding. A TH-200 is not a performance transmission from a conventional standpoint. The first thing to do, if it shifts poorly, is to service it. A used TH-350 will cost less than a rebuild for a TH-200, and will last longer. The proper way to rebuild a TH-200 is to replace it with a TH-350, which would be both cheaper and stronger.
TV Cable Adjustment
Correct adjustment is usually to press in on the rectangular button on the cable, press it towards the back of the car. Then move the carb throttle lever to WOT (DO NOT USE THE GAS PEDAL!!), let go of the TV cable, then the throttle, and it will self adjust. Just make sure you WOT the throttle lever on the carb! Check your service manual if you have any questions on this.
[ Thanks to Thomas Martin, Bob Barry for this information. ]

http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/oftrn.htm
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:35 PM   #3
Revin68
Recreational Grease Monkey

Re: Chevrolet 200 transmission will only shift at very high RPM, wont shift into 3rd

I agree, you should check TV cable adjustment. If you are using a carb, make sure its linkage is designed to work with a 700-R4/200-R4 TV cable. The factory linkage is designed to travel in a specific arc and travel a set distance. Most carb manufacturers have disclaimers about using a them with a TV cable. Improper TV adjustment will kill a trans quick. I believe street Rodder magazine has an article this month dealing with this in the TCI constant flow article.

Good luck,
Robert
Revin68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:01 PM   #4
Pyrotechnic

If not the TV cable, the springs could have come off the governor weights.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:40 AM   #5
Tinker1980

Something that happened to me once, not on a truck but on a Chevy Caprice wagon. (Dark grey, known as the "Nimitz") it had a 350 turbo automatic, and it did exactly what you mention. The valve in the transmission that the throttle valve cable worked against (perhaps that's the throttle valve itself? duh, me.) got stuck in the fully retracted position. I had to get the pan off to see it, I just had to grab it with some soft-jaw pliers and give it a bit of a twist-and-wiggle, and it was loose. Never had a problem with it again.

Good luck.
Tinker1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:41 PM   #6
Ulf

I´m facing a similar problem. My Th 200 is´nt working, wont go into gear.
Should I rebuild or look for a Th 200 r4. In Sweden a r4 costs 450 dollars and a Th 350 about 300 dollars. Th 700 is an option but since its longer its not a bolt in. Any advice?
Ulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:44 PM   #7
ChevyTech

My first choice would be the TH200-4R. It gives you overdrive, which the TH350 does not, and it is a tough durable transmission. I would not rebuild the TH200. I can't say enough bad about that transmission.

EDIT: This is in response to Ulf
The original thread is over ten years old.

Last edited by ChevyTech; 03-14-2019 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Clarification on who the resonse is too.
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:08 PM   #8
mountie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTech View Post
My first choice would be the TH200-4R. It gives you overdrive, which the TH350 does not, and it is a tough durable transmission. I would not rebuild the TH200. I can't say enough bad about that transmission.
I would guess the governor is bad..... Most causes is the plastic/spline gear on the end of the governor strips ( a very weak component )..... When my governor failed in my 700R4, I had to rev the crap out of it to get some forward motion, but no shift into 2nd, etc. It would only act "neutral" .

The 200-4R is a FABULOUS transmission. It can be modified to handle 1,000 HP and still be reliable, and has 4-speed / overdrive. ( I used to work for Art Carr / California Performance Transmissions ) Call him.... He'll answer all your questions, or you can learn some from the website.

Note..... don't forget about a good torque converter to add to it!!

( Throttle Valve cable ) Rule of thumb, at a stop.... then a mild acceleration, it should shift into 2nd as you are in the middle of intersection. Then the adjustment is close to correct. Throttle valve determines fluid pressure. If it's poorly set, you could be driving at 60mph with 25mph fluid pressure. You will burn up your tranny !!
'93 Mercedes SL 500 Teal
'86 Yamaha FZ750 - 15,000 RPM
'86 Yamaha FJ1200 - Criminally Fast
2016 Ferrari 488 GTB, I drive it - don't own it.
'05 GMC Yukon XL , SLT 4wd ( just purchased 2018)

Last edited by mountie; 03-13-2019 at 10:19 PM.
mountie is offline   Reply With Quote