The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2016, 11:13 PM   #26
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Re: Here goes nuthin!! Bodywork and paint!

I can share issues that I learned. I am no way a pro at painting, but I think I did a good job on my GMC.

When you start spraying make sure your air is "clean" the more filters the better in my book. I also have an air dryer so if you can get one, use it.

You might want to take out all the glass and rubber to get to all the metal. I messed up and the paint got contaminated around the seal and failed. Also didnt do the drip rails correct and it failed.

Wipe the metal down with a good cleaner and special towel to get rid of contamination before spraying. You will be surprised what a bare hand can do to paint. Don't try to cover the metal with one coat.

In my opinion let the paint/primers dry as long as possible between coats. I can show you pics of my truck where the paint is trying to come through the clear. I have been told that base coat/clear coat is the best for a beginner to learn.

Keep the gun clean after use......

I used a gun with a bigger nozzle for primer than the paint itself.

Prep is key to a nice job. Again, I am no expert on painting, but if I can do it.....

From a begginers view, I know what you are getting into. PM me if you want info. Your body shop is GTG, I shot mine on dirt.....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=518599

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:19 AM   #27
96blazr

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
Looking good, I do my own body and paint. Keep it as clean as possible, watch YouTube clips on painting it wil turn out nice. I'MO Durablocks are worth the cost, 18 inch I found is very useful.
Agree with notsolo, Keep it clean and WATCH, WATCH, WATCH youtube clips.

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:11 PM   #28
MiSledder

Ok, i put an inground pool in all by myself back in 03, never seen one installed and i watched 3 video cassette tapes on installations, so i am glad to see someone else tackle something like body work

Ive owned a shop for 25 yrs, wanted to paint cars since i was 12, still at it

I paid a pool guy to come and inspect my progress when it was a dirt hole, so glad i did, from what i am seeing in the pics you need to do the same, i see alot of bullseyes and generally a friendly truck when youre done painting

Friendly meaning always waiving at you, if i lived close id be happy to stop by

Bryan
MiSledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 01:04 AM   #29
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSledder View Post
Ok, i put an inground pool in all by myself back in 03, never seen one installed and i watched 3 video cassette tapes on installations, so i am glad to see someone else tackle something like body work

I paid a pool guy to come and inspect my progress when it was a dirt hole, so glad i did, from what i am seeing in the pics you need to do the same, i see alot of bullseyes and generally a friendly truck when youre done painting

Bryan
What are bulls eyes? Is that the rings in the bondo from different layers? I made a block sander from 2x4 lumber but I was thinking of getting an Ingersol-Rand air tolls block sander to get this really straight.

Last edited by Mrturner1; 11-05-2016 at 01:11 AM.
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:21 AM   #30
MiSledder

Hard to explain but ill try, you dont want any hard lines from bondo to metal, you want to see the bondo make a fadin transition to the metal, iwould never fill individual dents so close, skim coat it all and sand the whole panel , even if that means skimming the entire side of box

Most people when starting out doing body work over sand bondo, get a good air board sander and once you dont have any metal islands sticking out o f the bondo use a fill and sand primer, 3 good coats and let it dry over night, use a 4 or 6 inch sand block and sand parallel to the body curves in a cross hatch 45 degree angle, sand the whole panel as even as possible, i recommend you do this twice, this should help minimize the chance of being "friendly"
MiSledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:33 PM   #31
Grumpy old man

Haven't heard from you lately how did the paint job come out ?
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:56 PM   #32
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Haven't heard from you lately how did the paint job come out ?
Holy mackerel I have been gone too long! Work got crazy and the truck went in the garage and actually collected dust! I ALMOST sold it to fund some kid stuff we needed but things went well and I got to keep the old gal.

I got all the bodywork done last Wednesday finally, went and got some good quality primer and a nice 80 gallon compressor, a decent primer gun and went at it! Then I got sick and so did all the kids so after shooting the whole truck with primer I pulled it back in the garage and there she sits for a couple days. I did decide on a color, it's an original GM 1970 color, it's a light blue silvery color, can't remember the name (Catalina Blue??) but the tag for the paint code is out in the garage. I'll post it up tomorrow along with pictures of the bodywork and primer job!

Thanks Grumpy for lightin the fire again!

Matt
Old 01-04-2017, 01:25 PM   #33
Foot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Matt, if you use the epoxy/high build primers I've suggested you can top coat with any product you desire. Weather it is a single stage, base coat clear coat[my suggestion for ease of use] or whatever you can find it will be fine on the primer.
AND, if you use lacquer, you're not going to have the versatility that Hugger mentions.

There's no such thing as Cheap AND Good.

Nice work and determination by the way!

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:19 AM   #34
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
AND, if you use lacquer, you're not going to have the versatility that Hugger mentions.

There's no such thing as Cheap AND Good.

Nice work and determination by the way!
Thanks! I took some pictures but they go sideways for some reason if I try to post them. I'm gonna try again tomorrow.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:21 AM   #35
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSledder View Post

Bryan
Just wanted to say that when I shot that first coat of primer on I thought of you lol I took a step back to gaze upon my work of beauty, and sure as heck she's the friendliest truck in the whole neighborhood haha
Old 01-18-2018, 11:56 AM   #36
davischevy

Any updates?

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:51 AM   #37
bean

Updates on not only the bodywork but adjusting the valves as well. Thanks I plan on doing this myself as well so this has been really helpful. Thanks alot
bean is offline   Reply With Quote