The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-30-2017, 02:14 PM   #1
the pinstriper

Wiring help

Hi guys I'm after some help with the wiring in my 67

I purchased the truck with very little back ground on it, I was told sometimes it doesn't turn off. I followed a guide I found on here to try narrow the problem down. I found when turning the key off and tacking it out the only way to turn the truck off was to pull the head light fuse out. I had a good rummage and see the truck has had a new full wiring loom install at some point. The fuse board is still a glass fuse type. There was an added wire off the fuse board to make the lights live, which I pulled out along with a heap of other scotch locks. One of which went into the plug to the rear lights.

I have un taped the entire loom in the bay and found a fuse off of the junction block that was blown on the 18b line (cross referencing to the stock loom diagram I have printed out) with disconnecting the hash of wires and relaxing this fuse I now have head lights, plus a truck that turns on and off.

How ever I don't have any tail lights now, from memory there was a scotch lock in the sensor unit on the pedal, I'm assuming this went to the light loom on the bulk head for the rear lights. Again at the rear of the truck was a hash of wiring with in the new loom kit, this was for a tow connection so I took that out and re soldered new wires in. My wiring knowledge is limited but they left good amounts of the stock coloured wires about I just had to reconnect these back up.

My hazards work on the front but no flashing at the rear, but no indicators at the front or rear.

No horn

No fuel gauge

I replaced the head light switch thinking that this was the issue but clearly isn't, when I pull the switch out these wires are live
First pull blue 14lbl
Second pull blue 14lbl
3rd pull is purple in my loom but on the stock diagram its 14 brown which turns the head lights on.

I would have thought this new loom someone has installed would work with out having to add wires in. I have the entire loom in the truck but pulled out. I have inspected the wires and nothing is burnt out, there has been a lot of heat in the ignition barrel but no wires are touching. I have a new unit coming to replace this.

Any help would be amazing as I'm about to give up with it, as I said I have very little wiring knowledge so please bare with me.

Thanks in advance Joe
the pinstriper is offline   Reply With Quote