The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2017, 05:28 PM   #1151
Blazen_71

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto...277037007.html

This isn't mine, but it's how I found out about the Highlander!

Last edited by Blazen_71; 09-12-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Blazen_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #1152
ApacheIvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazen_71 View Post
https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto...277037007.html

This isn't mine, but it's how I found out about the Highlander!
I will let the experts call out the discrepancies with this truck. Doors are not right to start. Would love to see the SPID
Original Owner

** Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?**
ApacheIvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:03 PM   #1153
Blazen_71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApacheIvan View Post
I will let the experts call out the discrepancies with this truck. Doors are not right to start. Would love to see the SPID
I'm not sure of the validity but reguardless I like the plaid seat
Posted via Mobile Device
Blazen_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:05 PM   #1154
ApacheIvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazen_71 View Post
I'm not sure of the validity but reguardless I like the plaid seat
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh yeah, Highlanders ROCK!
Original Owner

Old 09-13-2017, 02:40 PM   #1155
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApacheIvan View Post
I'm sure you coiuld have posted the discrepancies yourself but what I'm thinkinhg is this a 1971 Cheyenne with a Highlander seat added. Highlanders were 1972 only all had black steering column and black carpet with parchment door panels and seat belts. Also the rear view mirror is attached to the roof while the 72's had it glued to the windshield. Yes it would be great to see the spid..

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:48 PM   #1156
ApacheIvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
I'm sure you coiuld have posted the discrepancies yourself but what I'm thinkinhg is this a 1971 Cheyenne with a Highlander seat added. Highlanders were 1972 only all had black steering column and black carpet with parchment door panels and seat belts. Also the rear view mirror is attached to the roof while the 72's had it glued to the windshield. Yes it would be great to see the spid..

I caught those.. I was afraid of chiming in with all these experts around Jocko was liable to set me straight
Original Owner

Old 09-13-2017, 07:02 PM   #1157
Oscar the grouch

About half of a 72 with plaid seat on Craigslist 😕
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2017, 06:46 PM   #1158
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

This would have been a sweetie when new. A YG8 Highlander in Orange and white with the orange plaid seat. I think its too far gone for a resto unless you really, really wanted one in this color. On EBay now.. Again why do people remove the A/C compressor and hardware when the A/C stops working. I'm always curious as to why a lot of Highlanders which were supposed to come with black factory carpet have a rubber floor mat. This truck has had some work, paint, but the rubber mat looks factory to me. Maybe GM ran out of carpet towrd the end of the 72 model year and substituted the rubber floor mat to get the truck down the line and out the door.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Chevrol...53.m1438.l2649
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

Old 11-16-2017, 09:10 PM   #1159
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Another EBay find with a color combo I havent seen before on a Highlander, Seafoam Green with grey plaid and the YG8 Package. I think this truck would have looked much better with lower body side molding and white roof. Very extensive resto to bring this one back to its former glory.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Chevro...53.m1438.l2649
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2017, 10:11 PM   #1160
Coley

Quote:
Another EBay find with a color combo I havent seen before on a Highlander, Seafoam Green with grey plaid and the YG8 Package. I think this truck would have looked much better with lower body side molding and white roof. Very extensive resto to bring this one back to its former glory.

Wow....whats more interesting is the price and bid interest.
Currently showing over 30 interested bidders?....price sitting at $4150...interesting stuff.

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:29 PM   #1161
72CHEBYHIGH

Hello all you happy people, ...

My name is Ruben, this is my first post here on this forum and do I have a story for you. So grab your popcorn and lets take a cruise.......if you ain't to busy.

I recently was able to purchase a truck that originally belonged to my father.

I am looking to share here, as well as looking for some help and information and to see about a way to confirm....So thanks in advance.

Well it all started when I was 15 years old,.........I'm 43 now.........I was a young punk kid, a freshman as it were, and across the street from the high school I saw this lowered 72 Chevy truck. Now I have always been a "car guy" I have loved everything from exotics to classics from a very young age. I walk across the street from the high school the the Veterans Memorial Building where the guy that owned this truck worked......and proceeded to glare and walk around the truck and check it out. There is just something about this truck calling to me I instantly love it. A few minutes go by and the guy comes rushing out to his truck and asks me, "Can I help you?"

"Hello," I said,.........My name is Ruben Jaramillo.......and I really like your truck......HE immediately broke the biggest sh*t eating grin and started laughing loudly. He then told me that he had purchased this truck,....(MY TRUCK) from my father years prior. I told him that one day I would come and want to buy it from him......To which he laughed even harder and louder and said NEVER EVER would he sell it. He loved it too much.

Right there started a 28 year quest,........ no mission if you will... to buy my Dads old truck back from this guy. Over the course of the next nearly 3 decades I saw this guy hundreds if not thousands of times around town and the county. He worked for the city and was always around here or there. Each and every time that I saw him I hit him up about "MY TRUCK"..... I mean the way I saw it, he was just a custodian of sort, this thing was my damn birthright......lol.

Each and every time he laughed and said NEVER and gave some reason or story about keeping it for his grand kids, or fixing it up this or that. The truck after My father owned it seemed to barely ever get washed much less pampered.....The seat had come apart and he would just sit on towels, a pillow, maybe some taco bell napkins, ....to give a little cushion....during the time that he was still driving it.

About 15 years ago he parked it in his driveway and there it say for about 8 years......After it started to rust and the tires went flat, his wife started to harp on him to get it out of the driveway..... It apparently was in need of a gas tank swap as the tank had started to leak inside the cab..So he bought a under the bed tank and took it to a local shop where it sat for the next 7 years. It sat there in a chain link enclosed yard, infested with cats in the dirt and the weeds, but I always kept tabs on it, and still every time I would see the owner I would hound him about selling it to me.

Now, over the last 5 years or so, I had really gotten into Toyota Landcruisers. I had just finished a very sweet 1970 FJ40 and said to myself, I will NEVER sell this thing.....I Love it too much!!!! About a week later I drive it to vons, so I can be a mall crawler,.... and I see this dude inside doing some shopping. I say to him jokingly this time, "Dude, don't make me take cash to your wife, cuz I know she will sell it to me!!!" He breaks out into his customary laugh and says, "you know,.......uuugh....maybe that's NOT such a bad thing." My eyebrow perks up, and he starts saying that he has really been tripping on 65 Impalas which I know have recently been sky rocketing in price....... I say goodbye and then pinch myself as I walk away.........Damn! Am I dreaming????

I go home, and immediately put my beloved 1970 FJ40 for sale.......Yes the one I just finished building and said I would NEVER sell.....After a few weeks I sell it for WAY cheaper that I should because I am in a RUSH and realize that the time to strike is NOW on MY TRUCK>>>>>

I sold it on July 3rd of this year,.......and an Hour later I was knocking on this guys door with a roll of cash in hand.....After some maneuvering........some posturing, on both parts I walked away that day VICTORIOUS and had the title to my Dads old truck. The truck that I had wanted for 28+ years....

OK, so now, 7 days ago I finally had the truck delivered after the shop owner had no time allegedly to dig it out of the yard where it sat......that's like 4+++ months of wait time here folks, ............even worse than waiting for your piece.......seriously...

This is the first time in a VERY long time that I have even gotten close to the truck......I mean I just knew I wanted it, I never asked what it had on it, or any details about it..As I look at it coming off the tow truck, I can see the most glorious patina on it, the white paint is cracking in some parts like the edge of a drying out muddy water hole, peeling up at the edges and revealing a light green original coat underneath.....I open the drivers door and realize that the truck has A/C which i think is very cool,......Then i see and old Craig 8 track player in the dash some overhead speakers and chuckle to myself. I go to sit in the driver seat or whats left of it anyways and I notice it has a tilt steering column. Wow also very cool. I look up and see white visors..?? Hmmmm a cracked up black dash pad, and some 8 tracks on top of the dash...This thing is like a time capsule......I can feel my dads presence in there like the force or something....lol There is whats left of some black rotting carpet on the floor, and lots of trash everywhere. I push her into the driveway and say thanks and head out to run errands and pick up some extra parts that the PREVIOUS owner had to go with the truck. When I get over there he gives me some parts to include a pristine tailgate, the one with the wood accent all the way across and proceeds to tell me some details regarding the truck. My truck.....

He says that He never really knew "what" the truck was because it had heavy leaf springs in the rear.....He said that in the 2+ years that my Dad had owned it he had,
1) Had it painted black with a purple pearl top.....
2) Had it dropped (From some white guy in the valley that everyone was going to) according to dad.
3) Changed out the wheels and tires...
4) painted the door panels
5) put in the stereo
6) Changed out the seat
7) frenched the marker lights front and rear with some other type lights?
8) Shaved the C-10 emblems both fenders
9) installed license plate holder.....

I tell him thank you and off I go with a bunch of rusty parts, and a really beautiful tailgate. thinking ill hang that thing on my wall.....

OK so,...... were getting there...
5 days ago I put the parts on Craigslist cuz I wasn't going to use them, and I figured any money I made could be put back into the mods I had planned for the build on my truck. I mean I had 4 ++ months to think about it right?? It was all but purchased and assembled in my mind. Within hours I am getting 5- replies all asking about the tailgate. I say come get it, but like anyone that has sold on CL before so many flakes its ridiculous. One guy gets a me on this past Tuesday and says he wants it BAD and is willing to drive 6 hours in Thanksgiving traffic to get it. I say come get it and 7 hours later he is checking it out with a flashlight.....He says he thinks its a "re-pop"???? Im like whats that? he says a reproduction, and Im like the dude I got it from aid it sat in his garage for like 30 years or so so I did not think is was. He said look it been painted....Then he took off the wood trim thing......it DID say Chevrolet in stamped letters there, but he said some re-pops do that.... long story longer,............I call the guy I got it from and after a 15 minute, very detailed story he says it real and yes the lady he got it from had had it painted but just put back and never used. The dude hits me hard on my 500$ asking price and is at 420$..... I'm thinking like.....wow, these tailgates must be very rare I can and should hold to my price and send this guy packing.....but then I think Cr*p he just drove all this way what the heck could possess someone to do that.....(Ive done it myself several times in the past for various wants)...

He starts on about how he is building this VERY SPECIAL RARE truck called a HIGHLANDER,.....Im like, never heard of it. He pulls out his phone and proceeds to show me pics if his build, as well as his OTHER 2 totally DONE C10's a Blazer, A cameo, and maybe a couple hot rods..... Im like WOW......but he keeps on and on about this "HIGHLANDER" and I say OK Im glad this gate is going to someone like you, that is a car nut like myself and will put it to good use... slaps the 420$ on me and away he goes....

I an trying to tell my co worker the story of how it went and I cant remember what he was calling this rare truck......so I text the guy, and he responds and sends me a couple links. As I am reading later the next night about this mysterious highlander model I keep looking at pics of my truck and thinking wow, it sure does have alot in common.....OK what about the seat right>>?? So I email the old man the ask if it came with some weird plaid seat??? He emails back the next morning,.....YEP it sure did.

This is about where I started reading and learning about a,...... "SPID" and where to look for it, so I could not wait to get home as I was at work. I get home and anxiously look inside the glove box........NO SPID>??? What the hell?? I mean I have the original owners manual, warranty and protect o plate, Temp I.d., Commercial reg, Emissions controls booklet. ALL of it but NO SPID????? I contacted the guy I got it from and he said he does not think he has it or even remember it being there when he got it.....????? I contacted my dad and asked but he was going on about the sticker being in the drivers door jam and misunderstood what I was getting at i think. I am still trying to reach him.....He lives Mexico.....OLD Mexico that is... He will be here in a week for the holidays though.

Now I know almost all of the history with this truck. and I will be piecing it all together with my dad and the previous owner over the next few weeks or so. Here is about where I close and ask for help....with a few things.

1) ANY other way to verify with what I have that it IS an HIGHLANDER ?? (Dealer where he got truck is still in town.? )

2) IF the SPID is missing and neither of these guys have it or a pic of it...is there any way to get a new one? (Dealer where he got truck is still in town.? )

3) help verifying exactly what it was optioned with

4) did those plaid seats come in any other C10's??

5) sourcing a seat frame and cushions and covers with the plaid inserts. (green)

I had a build all dreamed up and now that it may and probably IS a Highlander all that or most of it anyways has changed. I am leaning towards a patina build and keeping it as close to the way I found it, getting the air and everything else working as it should and cruising it hard.

IF you've stayed with me and this story this long, thank you and I hope you were not too disappointed with the missing SPID part.....I AM but I am trying to figure it out. I mean the truck was already super special before it was extra special to me...this just makes it extra extra super special.....lol and also will ultimately decide which way i go with the build.

AND finally since I typed this whole story up (or close to it) on my phone last night, and it didn't take when i tried to upload photos.....and since I DO realize a post especially this long without photos is absolutely worthless......photos to come directly.....standby.
72CHEBYHIGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:37 PM   #1162
72CHEBYHIGH

Cool Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?

Pics or it didn't happen.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2017, 12:41 PM   #1163
72CHEBYHIGH

More
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2017, 12:50 PM   #1164
72CHEBYHIGH

More pics
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #1165
72CHEBYHIGH

Tempted to keep the 8 track lol
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2017, 12:56 PM   #1166
72CHEBYHIGH

Few more
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2017, 01:00 PM   #1167
72CHEBYHIGH

Last ones for now.

Thanks again in advance for any help or comments.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2017, 01:03 PM   #1168
72CHEBYHIGH

Wish there was something in here that had it.....

Spelled our name wrong.....lol
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2017, 01:09 PM   #1169
72CHEBYHIGH

Attached Images

Old 11-25-2017, 02:00 PM   #1170
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72CHEBYHIGH View Post
Wish there was something in here that had it.....

Spelled our name wrong.....lol
Go to Page 6 and post #150 in this thread. Pictured is my Highlander truck with the Avocado Plaid seat, Judging bt the picture of your floor yoiur truck was probably amedium green,like mine, from the factory. Now with that being said there were a bunch of different two tones offered on the truck. I believe because yiu said the truck has A/C and tilt it probably had the YG8 Promo Package which if you go to post # 38 in this thread it breaks down the various ooptions in the Promo Packages. I find it strange that there is no spid on the inside of the glove box door seeing it seems to be the original medium green so its probably original to your truck.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:04 PM   #1171
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Go to Page 6 and post #150 in this thread. Pictured is my Highlander truck with the Avocado Plaid seat, Judging bt the picture of your floor yoiur truck was probably amedium green,like mine, from the factory. Now with that being said there were a bunch of different two tones offered on the truck. I believe because yiu said the truck has A/C and tilt it probably had the YG8 Promo Package which if you go to post # 38 in this thread it breaks down the various ooptions in the Promo Packages. I find it strange that there is no spid on the inside of the glove box door seeing it seems to be the original medium green so its probably original to your truck.
When you talk with your Dad maybe he can remember what he did with the original seat. I'm thinking yoiur truck was probably assembled at the Fremont California Plant and they for the most part always put the build sheet in the springs on the bottom of the seat. If you can find the seat I bet the build sheet is still attached to it.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:19 PM   #1172
72CHEBYHIGH

Awesome thanks for your replies. I will ask him.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:48 PM   #1173
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:

THis truck from post #1159 sold for 5500.00 and I am surpried at that, because check out the inside of roof above windshield.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2017, 07:27 PM   #1174
jocko

Like Greg said, look for that seat and find the build sheet, it's your only realistic hope of verification. From the pics, it looks to me like your main body color was originally dark olive. Now, from there, you could do a little scrapin around the a-pillar to see if there is any dark olive, medium olive, or white, under that new white. Same same for the mid body to determine if you had a deluxe two tone (white top/middle) but that may be a little harder to confirm. Focus on the areas that people skimp on in repaints: door jambs, a-pillar, top of the door window frame, behind the cab where the bed blocks direct spray, etc. Lack of a SPID can be "liberating" so don't sweat it too much. If you find the build sheet, you can get the SPID remade by member chipflyer. If now, well, build whatever you like. In fact, build whatever you like anyway. You asked if this option was available on other than C10. Yes, it was - was available on anything with a Custom Deluxe trim level and C10/20/30. No Ks got the Highander trim per the literature anyway, but you never know.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:34 PM   #1175
72CHEBYHIGH

Two tone with the purple still under there too
Attached Images