The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2018, 05:12 AM   #1
oldwagon

Door won't open

Trying to get the passenger door open on a 67 GMC. Outside handle doesn't work and neither does the inside door handle. Window doesn't open so that doesn't help. Haven't tried to kick it open but don't want to damage the door panels. Looking for some help. Thanks.
oldwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:00 AM   #2
cornerstone

Re: Door won't open

Have you lubed anything yet? I would focus on the handles, I'm pretty sure the outer handle has a common break spot just behind the thumb button. Is the seat in the truck? if all else fails take the door panel off. Not really much help but good luck.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:09 AM   #3
Barnfind46

If the outside button has fallen in like they do you should be able to push the lever on the latch from the outside with a long screwdriver and if the latch is not frozen it should open the door. That is the firs thing I would try.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:24 AM   #4
zosoppp

Had the same issue on mine (70 C10) when I got it a few years ago.

Outer handle button was broken and stuck half in (would not budge).

Inner handle would also not work at first. Seat was of course in the truck (in the way of removing the inner metal panel.

I think I pushed the actual door in repeatedly a little (it gave a little bit) to get the latch unstuck and then it would finally open from the inside at which time I was able to get it all apart (without removing the seat.).

Had to use an manual impact screw driver (big handle hit with BFH) to get the latch screws to loosen from the back edge of the door, then hit everything I could get to with PB Blaster and exercised it all. I removed the handle and was able to put the button sort of back together for a while (it didn't last).

I also changed the key cylinder at the same time since the po didn't have a door key and it wasn't the same as the ignition key (must have been changed once or twice over it lifetime).
Old 05-13-2018, 05:13 PM   #5
oldwagon

May get to the point of trying to get the door panel off. Hope we can find an easier way. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:08 AM   #6
rsavage

Your latch is stuck. Take the lock button and pull it/push it up and down many times. On the last one, snap it up fast. Inside handle should open the door at that time. Latch mechanism should be cleaned and lubed to prevent it in the future. Just had this happen on a 65 GTO. Got the above advice from someone on the Pontiac forum and it worked. Hope it does for you also.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:16 PM   #7
oldwagon

Thanks, rsavage. Will try that tomorrow. Well let you know whether it works or not.