The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2023, 02:49 PM   #1
scott123

Seat question.

Is a 1970 bench seat from a C-60 flatbed truck a good option for a 1950?

The seat was offered to me for next to nothing.

Just asking since I can't measure it til Sunday.

Scott
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 03:51 PM   #2
leegreen

Re: Seat question.

from memory it is going to be too wide, I looked at 70s full size benches decades ago and that was my conclusion.

A lot of people use the 2nd row bench from an astro van, a S10 bench or a bench from early 90s full size gm truck. all are pretty cheap options and probably a lot more comfortable than a c10 seat.

The astro van and S10 may look a little narrow, the 90s truck bench is supposed to be a good fit

mid size cars from 80s (gbodies) or will fit as well

in all cases, look for donor with an upscale trim package as the seats will be more comfortable that the base trim
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 07:15 AM   #3
scott123

In my mind it looks to wide but was not sure.

I thought I would ask.

Thanks.

Scott
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 11:24 AM   #4
dsraven

it can also depend on what trim you install on the door cards, if any. some guys install a fairly thick door trim on the inside and that can make the interior effectively narrower.
jump inside, close the doors and measure from inside to inside. add the thickness of the door card covering or armrests etc if you plan that.
yeah, I know, you don't have the truck on site. just saying, when you get to it. write down the number someplace so you don't forget. a pic on the phone is also good so you can have it available when you are out scrounging and just can't remember totally.
the 88-98 chevy trucks had a split bench that some guys use in the task force models. I think the advanced design models may be narrower.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 11:32 AM   #5
dsraven

try this link. it talks about seats for a 1950. I would say watch for the high back seats because they are tall and will need to be leaned ahaed in possibly too upright of a seating position to be comfy. some seats have the removeable headrests so they can go back further without hitting the cab back wall
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=404453
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 02:07 PM   #6
joedoh

i did this on my last truck, saw a nice 70 seat beautifully recovered in black, drove an hour, bought it, drove home, it did not fit. it was the shoulder width that didnt fit, the seat bottom fit great between the doors. I peeled the new cover off the back, cut 2.5 inches on each side out of the top hoop of tube, used a ratchet strap to pull it back together and welded it up. i think it was 3 hours from "sh*t" to "fit".

if you are recovering it anyway, its easy peasy. I have pics on the not-work puter i will add later.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 11:15 PM   #7
joedoh

here are the pics, first is not fitting last is 3hrs later.
Attached Images

Last edited by joedoh; 06-26-2023 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-26-2023, 09:22 AM   #8
Rickysnickers

Now you know I have to edit out the last photo
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 10:14 AM   #9
schovil69

I have a '53 3100 project that I haven't started yet but plan to in the next year or two. While waiting for go-time I'm reading and taking notes on ideas that may come in useful for me. One of those notes tells me a 2005-2006 Denali Third Row Seat will fit.
schovil69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 03:55 PM   #10
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by schovil69 View Post
I have a '53 3100 project that I haven't started yet but plan to in the next year or two. While waiting for go-time I'm reading and taking notes on ideas that may come in useful for me. One of those notes tells me a 2005-2006 Denali Third Row Seat will fit.
There is a huge difference between fitting and looking right and proper in and AD when you are done. A lot of the guys on FB seem to just want the most modern looking seat they can find or just pick the seat that fits the day they went to pick a part for a seat that was the color and material they wanted but they don't care how the total end product looks. Study what Joedoe did to make a seat that didn't fit look like it was built for and AD truck.

To me the 88 early 90's Silverado bench ends up looking the best when all is said and done.

Still it is your call and we all have our wants and opinions on what we put in our own trucks .

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 11:34 PM   #11
joedoh

on the third row stuff I dont like that it doesnt have fore/aft adjusters. its neat how they fold up giving access under the seat though.

on the later GMT400 bench you have to cut out the stock seat riser on the floor. its easily done, but it does make it more difficult to go back to the original seat ever.

its just a matter of what you want to deal with.

Old 06-29-2023, 12:56 AM   #12
R&B51

I haven’t sat in many trucks besides a friend who has built an half dozen AD’s. He always uses the 88 -90’s Chevy bench one piece back but has fold down elbow rest/cup holder just right elbow of driver. He cuts 4” out bottom and back just to the passenger side of elbow rest, but requires new foam and custom upholstery shop. Remove tank and remove stock base. Make new frame on floor if want to raise off floor to get desired seat height (allows longer legs to fit better since higher and farther back than stock with thinner seat back). 3 point seat belt mounted to reinforced site for shoulder and belt goes straight down to retractable box on floor. 4” out of this seat leaves room to move belts without binding. Safety stop in unit needs free movement to work right. Room for those door cards and elbow rest but still good distance to window opening for your elbow.
Makes for extra work and cost since no “kit covers” will fit but is SUPER comfortable, choice of cloth vinyl or leather.
I did all this and it’s at upholstery shop now- gonna spring for auto upholstery grade Mercedes type pebble finish leather in deep brown. Lots of mods on truck are important but you can rank what matters to enjoying it ( brakes!, good comfortable seat, steering and pedal positioning, do on).
You didn’t ask but one more option:
I’m going to fab base and use heavyweight drawer slides to allow almost full width drawer to slide forward when seat adjustment all the way back and put all the electrical gear and audio under the seat. Ordered extra long tail on drive line harness to reach.
R&B51 is offline   Reply With Quote