The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2018, 09:13 AM   #1
flashed

LS SWAP W/ Vintage Air ???

Im gathering all parts to do an LS Swap in my 72 Truck and it has Vintage Air already . Was told by a local shop to use the Factory GM A/C pump and just buy fittings to connect the hoses . Anyone know where to get these fittings and what sizes they would be ? Also someone else told me the Factory A/C compressor sits to low to fit in the 72 frame , True or not ?
I have bought a wrecked 03 Avalanch with the 5.3 with 150,000 miles that runs and drives for the donor and have the Boyd's tank , a stand alone wiring harness , and gathering more when I can .

Any help much appreciated , my 350 crate engine with low miles uses too much oil to enjoy on long trips .
Thanks
John
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:13 AM   #2
flashed

Re: LS SWAP W/ Vintage Air ???

Im sure Im not the first to have Vintage Air and going to LS am I ?
Old 07-13-2018, 04:47 PM   #3
FAKKY

My understanding .....

1) All the ls swaps end up being tight on most older frames just due to location. On my truck was told it wouldn't fit.
In reality - it might.

2) The after air products generally wont support any issues if you use your compressor from donor. There are also variable displacement compressors which are not suitable.

I plan to run mine from my LQ4 - its a fixed displacement however. Im also planning to run a cheaper all round unit- so dont have to worry about the VA deal needing brand new everything - but yes I will be on my own with issues.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:04 PM   #4
MidLifer

I did vintage air on my 6.0. You cannot use the stock compressor mount unless you want to cut your frame rail. There are aftermarket mounting kits that mount the compressor on the top passenger side. You have to change the belt tensioner also. Vintage Air sells a mount kit.

As far as compressor my advice is to buy the Sanden that Vintage Air sells.
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:36 PM   #5
TR65

Hi Flashed,

Check out my AC install. I used the Vintage Air Gen IV evaporator and control. Everything else I pieced together. I used the stock Sanden scroll compressor that came on my 2005 LS2 SSR motor. I had to make a custom mount but it fit in the low position without modification to the frame (1965).

Be sure to get the compressor block for your compressor with the fittings. I had to fabricate mine. I used Aeroquip braided stainless hose and fittings. Very expensive but they really look good.

This system has worked well for 7 years, no AC problems.

Here is the thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=468107

Good luck,

TR

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:23 PM   #6
flashed

TR65 ,you do great work , thanks for the link .
Old 07-13-2018, 11:51 PM   #7
jessemthompson

There are several ways to use your vintage air setup with an LS swap. I have not seen the stock compressor used. The factory LS location can be used without cutting your frame. I know, because my setup did not require me to cut my frame. A lot of factors come into play though. Motor mounts are the biggest key and of course the ac bracket you choose. It just depends on what you decide you want to do.
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:28 AM   #8
e015475

Most of the truck ac compressors are not variable displacement and can be made to work with aftermarket ac systems. There is some discussion on LS1Tech about it

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...e-fixed-2.html

The problem with most OE truck ac mounts is that they interfere with the frame rail. Both Alan Grove and Vintage Air sell a mount that keeps the AC compressor low and clears the frame rail, but they use the Sanden compressor.

If you currently have a Sanden compressor from VA, I would get, or fab, the low compressor mount to use it on your new LS motor. Here is a pic of one I fabd for my truck after looking at the one from Alan Grove. It uses the stock tensioner from the truck

e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:02 PM   #9
Low Elco

VA sells one for 120 to hide their ugly ass compressor down low. Thanks to those who have thrown up pics, I've been wondering if it'll work. Good to know it will, it's on the way!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:44 PM   #10
flashed

Got a part number ?
Old 08-01-2018, 08:15 AM   #11
Low Elco

141810 Says 175, but if you get it as an upgrade to a kit, it's 120. Here ya go-

https://www.vintageair.com/universit...intage-apps-4/
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:37 PM   #12
enduroride

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLifer View Post
I did vintage air on my 6.0. You cannot use the stock compressor mount unless you want to cut your frame rail. There are aftermarket mounting kits that mount the compressor on the top passenger side. You have to change the belt tensioner also. Vintage Air sells a mount kit.

As far as compressor my advice is to buy the Sanden that Vintage Air sells.
Do you know which belt tensioner will need to be purchased to install the VA ? Is it one from the late model Camaro's ?
thanks, Wade
2015 Lexus 250i (wifes)
1972 Chevy C10 LWB, 5.3 / 4L60e swap "COLOR OF MONEY"

http://www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
enduroride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:10 AM   #13
dayj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Im gathering all parts to do an LS Swap in my 72 Truck and it has Vintage Air already . Was told by a local shop to use the Factory GM A/C pump and just buy fittings to connect the hoses . Anyone know where to get these fittings and what sizes they would be ? Also someone else told me the Factory A/C compressor sits to low to fit in the 72 frame , True or not ?
I have bought a wrecked 03 Avalanch with the 5.3 with 150,000 miles that runs and drives for the donor and have the Boyd's tank , a stand alone wiring harness , and gathering more when I can .

Any help much appreciated , my 350 crate engine with low miles uses too much oil to enjoy on long trips .
Thanks
John
Here are the fittings that you need. https://coldhose.com/catalog/product...g/category/39/

It is most definitely possible to use a factory A/C compressor in the factory low mount position in a 67-72 C10 frame without cutting the frame. I have done it numerous times. It is entirely dependent on the mounts used and the position of the engine.
dayj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:44 PM   #14
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I called VA years ago and they said the stock LSx compressor will work fine except if it was the variable displacement (?) type, I believe later models and cars had those.

I used the stock compressor on my Old Air Products AC system, has worked awesome for 8 years!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:34 PM   #15
flashed

Nick at C10 Addiction/Pro Performance hooked me up today with the Vintage Air top mount bracket and new compressor .Because Im a member on his Facebook group I got a discount and they are great to deal with . I recently got a deal from them on my Boyd's under bed tank .
Old 08-04-2018, 01:34 PM   #16
Street Smart

I did my swap over 7 years ago and used the 2010 escalade brackets and compressor. Cleared the frame no problem, kinda sits in the frames a little. At the time there was a company selling fitting that worked out perfect ( Docs blocks) but I think they aren`t available anymore. BTW really old Vintage air in the front with an early 70`s rear roof unit in the back. ICE COLD !!!!!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...=74049&cat=500
Street Smart is offline   Reply With Quote