The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2018, 11:05 AM   #1
desert-rat

First numbers on speedo stuck 1/2 way. (Pic)

All the gauges are good. Just need new needles or new orange paint. Gonna get new lens. How do I go about fixing the first number that is stuck?? Removing it from the back if the cluster?? Thanks.
Attached Images

desert-rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:13 PM   #2
LH Lead-Foot

Re: First numbers on speedo stuck 1/2 way. (Pic)

Depending on your amazing skills, this can be fix on the bench. Remove dash, unplug and place face down on soft fender cover. Take photos for reference if needed. Work down until you get to the speedo. A small plastic fork with a rag under it, will help you pop the needle off. Remove it from the housing and look at the row of round number tumblers. Look for the teeth on the side of each tumbler to make sure they are not broken. Mine was a 67, but if I remember right, the drive shaft is held in place with a bar bracket and a screw. Remove the screw, lift gently and move the offending tumbler a little until the driven gear lines up with the rest of them. It has been a few years but it was not hard to rotate each, line up the teeth, then drop the drive assembly onto the row of wheels to what mileage you want. It may not be against the law, but I placed mine at zero as the title box with mileage unknown is check...normal for a 50 year old vehicle. There are some YouTube videos that show how to pop of the needles without any damage to re-paint. They sell "Needle" paint and ways of painting the needles while still on the gauge. It's you choice. Just back up the needle so it is supported like cloth on cardboard from show box to paint. Wipe with a cleaner like pre-paint or just lacquer thinner, and with a few paint strokes, your'e done. Just don't re-apply while partly dried as it will clump and builds up visible streaks. No one want that. Parts work loose, so that end of the drive bar assembly may just be loose. Others use two tabs of the pot-metal stamped out, for bending. Small electrical circuit board pliers / cutters work well to move these. I have seen it done with a wood fixture cut to hold the assemble for work. What a few videos, then tackle the job with not too much coffee before hand. Best of Luck. You can do it!
Old 07-21-2018, 02:19 PM   #3
LH Lead-Foot

Re: First numbers on speedo stuck 1/2 way. (Pic)

Unless your lens is real bad, I use "Mothers Plastic Cleaner" and a micro-fibre towel. It works great. I have used it for years on my motorcycle helmet lens to reduce glare. Keep the towel that works and the cleaner in a gallon freezer bag to prevent cross contamination on your towel from other cleaners & grease. Just a suggestions that has worked for me.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:44 PM   #4
desert-rat

Wink Re: First numbers on speedo stuck 1/2 way. (Pic)

Thanks so very much for the detailed reply. This helps me out a lot.
desert-rat is offline   Reply With Quote