The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2006, 02:40 AM   #1
Zoomad75
K5Camper

what a difference some tlc makes..

Today was a good day.. The wife and boy over at grandpa's all day I got a free day to do some needed work to the K5. Went over to DirtyLarry's home shop to do hinge pins on both doors and replace a nasty little battery cable.

Larry's a pro when it comes to adjusting doors and boy were mine in need. My pins had been fixed by a previous owner (new upper hinges found on both sides, with worn bronze bushings) but the lowers still had nylon bushings. both were wobbled out enough it practictally took a mule kick to shut the doors. That force needed to shut caused the striker pin on the pass side get tweaked in and actually cracked the sheetmetal around the driver side pin. The pass side door was pretty cracked up at the upper hinge mounts too.

So with the doors off we put new pins and bushings in. Our friend Bill took the mig to my door and pin areas to make them crack free. Pass side door tool several attempts to line up, but once we got it lined up it shuts nicer than the truck looks. The drivers side bolted up with only one minor adjustment. shuts nice too.

While I was there I tackled my poorly operating crank windows. I thought the rollers were wasted. Nope, just dry. lubed the snot out of them and had to weld a bracket back to the rear window guide (another Billy weld job). They work so easy now you can use one finger.

Last thing was to get rid of a cobbled up small gauge positive battery cable with a bolt on battery clamp. put a new 2ga cable back in and now my slow crank problems are gone too.

poor old truck needed the attention. now the doors work great! Thats a good day in the shop...Thanks for the help and the facilities larry!
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:20 PM   #2
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: what a difference some tlc makes..

Yeah, that was fun. Your doors were in dire need of attention. Working on your Blazer was a lot more fun than the Chrysler minivan that came in with the intake gasket leak.

DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 07:16 PM   #3
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: what a difference some tlc makes..

Who needs power windows now? Yeah that minivan intake job doesnt sound as fun then dinking on our old "easy to fix" toys.

I'm sure I'll have time to help out with it over xmas. We need to start thinking about a snow run then too. I know Billy's game.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote