The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2018, 06:29 PM   #1
plowro8

Suspension

I have a 72 C10 and it has been lowered 2". The steering has tons of play in it, and the ride is quite bouncy... And the crappy part is that there is metal on metal clanking in the front end when I go over bumps. I was told that there weren't any "bump stops" installed when the truck was lowered. I guess I am asking, which components should I replace related to suspension, and where should I buy them? I have ordered from some online stores, but they all charge a lot for shipping. Also, because the truck has been lowered, will it need special shocks and other related components?

I am really just looking for a smoother, tighter ride. I will replace everything if I have to, just looking where to start.
plowro8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:43 PM   #2
6T7 C10

Re: Suspension

A close inspection of the front suspension would be first and I would make my list. Likely from the sound of things I would replace the springs with 2" lowering springs (assuming that is what you want to keep it at), corresponding shocks, and rubber bump stops. Sounds like the current springs may have been torched to lower truck. Some retailers will even have springs and shocks paired up as a kit.

For the steering I would go with new tie rods, pitman arm, and idle arm if any look bad. Moog is a quality brand. The steering box have have excessive slack and may need to be adjusted or replaced. RockAuto has got a lot of my money on parts such as this.

Summit Racing and plenty others have free shipping. You just have to compare total drive out price as free shipping means higher priced parts. Just have to see what combo works best for you.
6T7 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:18 PM   #3
OARNGESI

Re: Suspension

Rebuild the whole front end throw stock springs back in and get drop spindles all followed by a good alignment and new tires and it’ll ride like stock. Other than that we’ll need the shape of stock components and how it was lowered
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote