The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2017, 11:07 AM   #1
wpavlis

engine tech vortec heads

Anyone ever use these? They have bare castings on rockauto cheap. I have everything I need (springs, valves, rockers, intake, etc) to install these on an engine I am building up. I purchased a set of used heads only to find that they both were cracked. After talking to my machine shop they tell me that is common. Oh well, lesson learned I guess. The GM heads seem to only come with springs/valves installed. My machinist tells me he has had good luck with aftermarket iron castings even though they are made oversees. Thanks,

Bill
wpavlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:59 AM   #2
DieselSJ

Re: engine tech vortec heads

They have a great chamber design. They take less overall timing than non-Vortec heads. Be careful with some of the overseas imitations as they don't have a true Vortec chamber or intake port. Due to the intake port design, you may need a Vortec specific intake.

STV? I'm next door in QC.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:53 PM   #3
wpavlis

I have the vortec intake which is the main reason I am not going to just switch directions. The website claims they are a direct replacement. When I spoke to Engine Tech direct they tell me they are made to the same specifications as factory. Here is the photo on rockauto that looks like a true vortec style chamber. Not sure if the intake port is the same, but it looks like it. Yeah, the QC is right down the way. I actually live about 1/4 mile from the county line.

Name:  Capture1.JPG
Views: 393
Size:  59.8 KB

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 370
Size:  48.0 KB
Old 03-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #4
DieselSJ

Those look like Vortec. I'd run them.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:06 PM   #5
James the III

meh
196.00x2 + shipping 50.00 for a bare head that you need to load and do a valve job on..
or buy a g.m. heads loaded ready to run for 320.01 each..(summit racing) and free shipping.. I'll take Mexican castings over china any day..

you are not saving anything..
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:47 PM   #6
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselSJ View Post
They have a great chamber design. They take less overall timing than non-Vortec heads. Be careful with some of the overseas imitations as they don't have a true Vortec chamber or intake port. Due to the intake port design, you may need a Vortec specific intake.

STV? I'm next door in QC.
That's all generic vortec info, nothing about his specific manufacturer question.

Personally, I stay away from chinese parts. In spec or more likely not, its still giving money to china. Sometimes there is no choice but when there is I take it.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:28 PM   #7
wpavlis

i saw that summit/jeggs have the GM ones complete for $320. The problem is I already have SS valves, seals, springs and rockers. I could probably return the rockers to summit. The springs are beehives and needed for the cam I have. The valves and seals I got with the used heads. I honestly paid about the price of the valves and seals for the heads ($100). I MIGHT be able to sell them for close to that. Does GM sell bare heads? I would really prefer that because I already have everything. Also, I don't believe you need a valve job on new bare heads. Don't you typically just need to lap the valves?
Old 03-20-2017, 11:28 PM   #8
wpavlis

I think I am talking myself into the new GM heads. I should be able to change out springs myself without any machine work. The machine shop quoted me $80 to assemble both bare heads. If I sell my extra parts at say $50, I am looking at less than $100 extra for the new GM heads. Oh well, there goes the budget I guess. What's new right?

Question. I was going to install screw in studs. Are they really needed? The lunati cam I purchased has a lift of .468/.489. Thoughts on if screw in studs are required?
Old 03-21-2017, 04:28 AM   #9
James the III

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpavlis View Post
I think I am talking myself into the new GM heads. I should be able to change out springs myself without any machine work. The machine shop quoted me $80 to assemble both bare heads. If I sell my extra parts at say $50, I am looking at less than $100 extra for the new GM heads. Oh well, there goes the budget I guess. What's new right?

Question. I was going to install screw in studs. Are they really needed? The lunati cam I purchased has a lift of .468/.489. Thoughts on if screw in studs are required?
To much lift for a vortec head.. you need to have the spring seat machined...
At that point you might as well add the screw in studs..
and at that point , you might as well step up to the e-tech heads..
as you'll have the edelbrook alum head money in those iron heads..
922.00 a pair.

the vortec iron heads don't require huge lifts to get the power.. as they flow very good at lower lifts..
G.m. got 340hp out of the ramjet with a mild cam..
I think you need to rethink your build or your part choice/combo. if you are on a budget..

I'd want to know where the cracks where on the heads you had.. and if they really matter.. there are 5.7 vortecs running around for 200k with 100k of that with cracks in the head castings..
Old 03-21-2017, 08:56 AM   #10
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Call these guys www.sdparts.com they sell genuine GM Vortec castings/heads in many configurations to accommodate all kinds of different cams. I bought a Gen III 383 shortblock from them last year. Very good to deal with & good prices.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:57 PM   #11
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by James the III View Post
To much lift for a vortec head.. you need to have the spring seat machined...the vortec iron heads don't require huge lifts to get the power.. as they flow very good at lower lifts..
No, he doesn't. He needs the valve guide boss machined down. Springs are same seat diameter he doesn't need to modify them. Comp cams sells the tool. Stick it in your hand drill. Do it at home. Easy peasy. Cam spec wise he isn't even getting the intake to max flow lift and exhaust is right there, looks like an excellent match for vortec heads. They max flow at .500" lift intake then stall over it. Wheres the problem?
As for screw in studs, lift isn't really the problem its spring pressure.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:24 PM   #12
James the III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
No, he doesn't. He needs the valve guide boss machined down. Springs are same seat diameter he doesn't need to modify them. Comp cams sells the tool. Stick it in your hand drill. Do it at home. Easy peasy. Cam spec wise he isn't even getting the intake to max flow lift and exhaust is right there, looks like an excellent match for vortec heads. They max flow at .500" lift intake then stall over it. Wheres the problem?
As for screw in studs, lift isn't really the problem its spring pressure.
Mine needed to be cut. opened up ..larger dia..
and guides cut.. and studs machined.. drilled tapped..
At this point you might as well go straight to, either buying the Sd heads or pace performance g.m. vortecs.. or the large port g.m. bowtie vortecs..
or just going straight to the e tech heads.. and getting all the good without the iron ..
I love the g.m. vortecs.. as more cast aside them because of a crack and I get a bunch of free parts.. The heads on my daily have 150k on a set of cracked,junked heads..
Old 03-21-2017, 02:52 PM   #13
wpavlis

I don't believe I need any machining. I purchased a set of beehive springs from Alex parts. I gave them my cam spec and they put together a kit for me. I believe they modified the locks and/or retainers to allow the lift of this cam. They actually sent me different bags marked "intake" and "exhaust" with the locks and retainers in them. I already have the screw in studs, and it looks like a good DIY type of project. I believe if I go with the complete heads I can probably do the install myself. I will need to purchase a tap and a spring compressor, but I do love collecting tools LOL.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:54 PM   #14
wpavlis

according to my records the springs have the following specs:

105 Lbs @ 1.750" -Valve Closed, Spring Installed Height
260 Lbs @ 1.170"
Old 03-22-2017, 05:19 PM   #15
HeavyD

I read up on the EQ heads a while back after RHS stopped making Vortec clones, and they are supposed to be nice pieces without the cracking issues of OEM. Personally it is the way I would go but if you want GM stuff, SD should be able to hook you up.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:09 PM   #16
HeavyD

I am pretty sure they are Australian, not chinese if that makes any difference