The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-28-2017, 01:06 AM   #1
MASTERBrian

Starter problems and now flex plate

Long story short....

I need a good starter for a 1974 330hp sbc 350 with 9:1 compression, maybe 10:1. On 2nd junk one from O'Reilly on fresh rebuild and it's eating my flex plate and starters. I'm not running headers, I'm on manifolds and trying to convert to ran horn manifolds soon. When engine hot current starters are slow to crank.

I was looking at mini torque starters, but have had a few people suggest starter from 2000 454 7.4l trucks. I've read to stay away from summit brand. What about powermaster 9100? It says not for use with high compression, I don't think even if I'm pushing 10:1, that's not considered high. What about timing curve....says for stock timing curve. I'm running 4° btc at chain and about 34° total. I'm guessing I'm still within stock specs.

Is there a better one to buy for a street motor?

Then a few teeth on flexplaye are getting worn down from the starters giving grief, so I'm questioning if I just replace it now. I'll try to post pic when I can crawl back under. I went ahead and bought a flex plate today from my machinist and had him balance it as my motor is externally balanced. For $60 figured might as well have on hand.

This is all going in my 1960 suburban. I believe my battery cables are 4 gauge, if not they might be 6gauge. I'll check tomorrow, so that shouldn't be causing any issues and everything is snug with good grounds. I'm also running HEI so don't need the R terminal.
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote