The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
1970chevy

good racing oil for bbc

just wondering what kind of oil to run in my bbc it has 12to1 full roller
1970chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
72 SUPER10

Re: good racing oil for bbc

just plain valveoline 30 , keep it changed , ive ran it for years in my bbc if i run it at the track, i change it every time , cheap enough, i think . just my choice, vince
72 SUPER10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:30 PM   #3
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

With the enviornmental reduction of criticle elements in oil over the last couple of years, you are spinning the loaded cylinder (so to speak) of the Russian roulett revolver by running any API approved oil with the current SF starburst. We've all heard the ZDDP phrase and seen the ball wear reports from todays oils. They are CRAP, plain and simple.

There is magic in some of the new racing oils, but you do pay dearly for the onsey-twosey HP gains you see with them and for the price,, not sure that is worth it either!

Myself I run Royal Purple XPR (5-30 winter,,, or 10-40 summer) off road racing synthetic in my race motors. By the 5 gallon pail it's right around $12 a quart,, by the bottle, about $14 or so.

In the end,, I'm not sure the wear protection and 'magic' of the super trick, super synthetic, super expensive oils is really worth it.

Why? well look close at what Vince said.

Quote:
keep it changed , ive ran it for years in my bbc if i run it at the track, i change it every time
Most people will want to push the the super expensive oils WELL past their intended life. Like Vince, I think CLEAN, FRESH oil is MUCH more important than any magic 'snake oil' properties it may have. If your not going to bite the bullet and keep it fresh and clean,, your MUCH better off with a lesser oil that doesn't make your wallet bleed every time you pull the drain plug. Todays racing engines with the massive valve spring loads, loose rotator clearances, and higher RPM, higher operating temps, and fuel contamination really beat the crap out of the oil.

In the end all I'm saying is... Choose your oil wisely, but don't let $'s dictate when you change it.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.

Last edited by Marv D; 04-19-2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: sp and pfhat finger typing
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:47 AM   #4
straitnate14

I run brad penn it's priced fair and I change it often
Old 04-24-2009, 12:57 AM   #5
scatesracing
Machinist

"people who know use valveoline" I run 20 /50 in mine
scatesracing is offline   Reply With Quote