The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2018, 11:44 PM   #1
Slowguy

On3 single turbo lq4

Has anyone swapped an ls using on3 single kit? On3 just simply does not reply to inquiries....at all. I like the kB log style passenger manifold and crossover kit but I also like the price of the complete kit from on3. Only thing is, from the pics they provide on their website I only see a manifold with a v band clamp-no upward facing t4 flange like I would expect. It’s just important because I’d like to retain the stock compressor to use with a vintage air kit.
Slowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:55 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: On3 single turbo lq4

if they wont reply, I wouldn't buy.....customer service means a lot these days...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:54 AM   #3
Slowguy

I don't know why I always make my decision so complex. I thought the same thing...just asking for trouble if I can't get the simplest reply about their product, especially when they are just packaging super cheap Chinese goods.

I guess, if I were smart, I'd piece the kit together. I think I'll get the KB log manifold, crossover pipe, and down pipe. Then I can get a Vs racing chinese turbo (seem to have decent reviews) or spring for a borg turbo, and then a chinese intercooler kit.

I think I have most of the engine block figured out and slowly getting it reassembled. It should be plenty strong for mild boost I am anticipating. Hoping for 550 whp with 10-14 psi, elgin turbo cam, arp bolts, new rings and bead hone, and rings have all been gapped to .028.

I think that power level will feel insane in a truck like this. Without the right rubber in the rear, I'm not even sure it'll connect most of the time under 40 mph or so. Right now, my plans are for 285 40 22 in rear and 265 35 22 in front. 12 bolt rear dif and I'll swap in a posi. Also going with a mild stall converter 2200-2400 in the 4l80e i will put one of those shift kits in.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:00 AM   #4
Tork?

10-14 psi on a 6.0 will make good power. Could also check out lsxeverything they advertise a kit specific to these trucks but it does look alot like cx racing kit
Tork? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:13 AM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

On3 was at one point kinda notorious for volume over quality. IIRC they offered the lower-price turbo kits for the Fbody crowd and expanded a bit from there. Some people had decent luck, others weren't happy with quality. There are a decent amount of Ls1tech threads about using their kits as a base, or just trying to get the hotside and upgrade from there.

IMO, since 2/3rds of most kits won't fit our trucks, you're always better off just finding a starting point (manifolds/hotside) and building from there. There's also lots of little things that are worth spending a few extra $$'s...like going with high quality reinforced silicon couplers instead of the budget silicon/rubber you'll see in lots of kits. Same goes for intercoolers....they are fairly inexpensive in the wild.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:15 PM   #6
Slowguy

br3w, did we message back and forth on another post? If you have the same truck with a turbo, it sure would be nice to check another out to see the nuances that would be specific to this platform. I think I have a decent grasp on how it's going to unfold, but see one in person is invaluable IMO.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:36 PM   #7
Money_pit

I’ve been looking at log manifold with crossover from Fahler speed and performance.
Looks pretty good and price seems reasonable. Good luck I’m battling this same situation now.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:02 PM   #8
Slowguy

Looked at fahler speed. Looks great and if he has a crossover available I’d order today. But....looks like he can’t keep up with orders. The message function via Facebook seems disabled and one of the posts said a 4 month lead time. If you find any info please let me know. I’m in.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:56 AM   #9
davepl

I built a twin-turbo big block setup from all cheap Chinese eBay parts. It worked, and it made 1000hp+, but I wouldn't trust any of those vendors to do anything more than rebox parts and run the auctions. You won't be getting fabrication or tuning advice from TURBOGUY19 on eBay! But they should at least be returning your sales call promptly.

https://youtu.be/IuprWd-WInM?t=19
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:08 PM   #10
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowguy View Post
br3w, did we message back and forth on another post? If you have the same truck with a turbo, it sure would be nice to check another out to see the nuances that would be specific to this platform. I think I have a decent grasp on how it's going to unfold, but see one in person is invaluable IMO.
We may have messaged, but I don't have a turbo setup on my '66.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote