The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2006, 09:11 AM   #1
kregas

Big Block in a 53 GMC?

I have a 1953 GMC pickup that I am getting ready to do a frame swap with a 1990 s-10. I am looking to drop a 396 in it. Has anyone seen this or run into any significant issues? Thanks in advance.
kregas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:15 PM   #2
Hart_Rod

Re: Big Block in a 53 GMC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kregas
I have a 1953 GMC pickup that I am getting ready to do a frame swap with a 1990 s-10. I am looking to drop a 396 in it. Has anyone seen this or run into any significant issues? Thanks in advance.

My 52 (see link) is setup for a BBC. It's tight, but it will fit. Headers probably the biggest clearance issue, but block huggers will work.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:08 PM   #3
Hart_Rod

Here are some pics:
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 01:00 PM   #4
kregas

Wow. Looks pretty tight. What significant mods did you have to do to fit it in? I see a cutout on the inner well and the steering pivot. Any firewall issues?

BTW, thanks for the reply, the pics are great to see. I can't find too many examples of people queezing BB's in these old trucks. Looks like the norm is the 350/350 setup.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:54 PM   #5
pgf545

I am currently helping my dad with his 52 and we are putting a Big Block in it. We are using a *****in Products firewall, which I don't have installed yet. It sets the firewall back about 3 1/2 inches. Here is a link for a couple inprocess pictures.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=206021

Bernie
pgf545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:11 PM   #6
kregas

Thanks for all the great photos. I really didn't want to get rid of my big block.....you guys have helped me make up my mind to keep it now. Hopefully you both can post more pics here as you progress. I'll try to do the same.

One question before I get busy. I noticed that the second set of pics have a boxed/welded in front end. Do you suggest the Mustang II/Camaro front end swap, or the full S-10 chassis swap? I'm looking ahead to suspension issues and could use alittle direction.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:50 PM   #7
pgf545

I can't really recommend either or the other, only what I am currently doing. We choose this way because it is fairly easy and wanted to keep the stock frame. I have seen all 3 types done and if done right they all look and perform well. Dad had a front end welded on there from a late70's style truck and he didn't like it because it stuck the wheels and tires out too far (wide track width). The boxing plates on the frame came with the Mustang II kit that we got from Heidt's. We are thinking about boxing the rest of the frame for more strength, but I am not sure right now about that. I have the motor in there a little too far back right now, but I am going to install the firewall before I move the engine. I want it back far enough for the accessories in the front. We are looking at getting a one belt setup for the motor and that will clean things up a little in the front. I have a link on my work computer on the S-10 fram swap....I think it is a sales web site though. I will post that tomorrow for you. It has been so frikin hot down here I haven't felt like doing much....maybe in a month or so it will be bearable to do a little welding...lol. Anyway when we start hitting it again I will post some shots for you.

Bernie
Old 08-15-2006, 07:45 AM   #8
kregas

That link would be great, thanks.

I was under the impression that in order to do the frame swap, you needed to use the S-10 regular cab long bed. The guy I'm doing the project with tells me that you can also use the extended cab short bed? Is this true? I don't think I've ever heard of that.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:01 AM   #9
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

A while back I was looking into the s10 swap for my 56. From What I remember the regular cab long bed and extended cab short bed are very close in wheelbase. You would just need to relocate the rear axle a couple inches to align the wheels in the wheel openings.

There is alot more info regarding this here:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=185553
DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:00 AM   #10
pgf545

Heres the link that I got....I don't know anything about this guy I just happend to run across this and saved it.

Bernie

http://www.ad-engineering.com/
Old 08-15-2006, 11:46 AM   #11
kregas

Yeah. I saw that link in another thread. Looks pretty easy, but $1000 for a few body mounts and crossmembers seems a little pricey to me. I have a line on a 1978 Mustang II front subframe. Going to look at it this weekend. Guy just wants me to get the car off his land in exchange. Not bad for a little weekend labor.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:50 PM   #12
pgf545

I saw one a guy did using stock components. The only thing he bought was the crossmember and installed all the stock components. I think he told me that he paid 150.00 for the car so that would make a reasonable priced deal. Free is always better though .