The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #51
skorpioskorpio

Re: Project Madera: A Jimmy GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
I'll bite. What the heck Is a Turbo Vapor kit? Nice build BTW!
I'm hoping some one knows, has some poisonous flammable liquid that gets sucked in through a vacuum port, what it is and what it does... mmm, dunno. I am curious though.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #52
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio View Post
I'm hoping some one knows, has some poisonous flammable liquid that gets sucked in through a vacuum port, what it is and what it does... mmm, dunno. I am curious though.
Chuck Norris in a Bottle?

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #53
jaros44sr

I just saw that item on a info mercial. Seems to increase your fuel mileage by 53%, or so they claim....buy one now and get a second for the price of shipping and handling

Right now it is listed under US Patent #543210-543210

Basically, it injects molecular ball bearings into the carb throat, and they attach themselves to the butterflys. It is a time release capsule, and despenses the solution in nano seconds. Thus, the small container.....

Or, it could be a water injection system for a turbo unit. Keeps the a/f charge cooler

Im in to follow along with build

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 04-30-2013 at 08:44 PM.
jaros44sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #54
skorpioskorpio

Interestingly I just Googled it and apparently it bubbles intake air through some mixture of antifreeze and acitone, according to an article in a 1980 Popular Mechanics (err Popular Science one of the 2). The article went on to state that it was tested by the EPA and found to achive none of it's claims and that was 30 years ago. I'd find it even more ridiculous that such a product, claiming gas milage increases and power improvements that couldn't achive anything in an engine in the days of points and carbs could achive anything in the world of EFI and VVT. Anyway, I'll never know, I don't plan on searching for refills of Super Secret Injectable Turbo Juice.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #55
jaros44sr

My fav. was the turbo devise that created a vortex in the air inlet, wonder if you could mate it up to your tvi....
Or, my dual antennas on my '62 Impala. Ah, to be young and foolish again lol

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #56
skorpioskorpio

The truck has now been stripped of all it's 4 by 4ness and no longer has it's heavy greasy orange heart. I have it mocked up at close to it's final ride height, but really need to check and double check the numbers. It is sitting at 9 inches off the ground with a slight rake. Porterbuilt was telling me 8 and a half but if I drop the front stands by one notch to get 8 and a half at the front of the flat section of frame the 28" tall tire is slightly up under the lip which it shouldn't be when it's done. The well should be about 2 inches above the tire, so anyway that works out to just under 9 inches at the front of the straight portion of the frame and a hair over 9 inches at the back. This is how that looks.

Sorry for the stretch wrap on the tires and wheels, but apparently if you don't wrap them when you stack them the redlines will turn black from leaching of rubber from transfer from the adjacent tire.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #57
skorpioskorpio

Some updates, I've been working on getting brakes together, here is the parking brakes and rear calipers (for 13" Corvette Z51 brakes), The under the floor pedal assembly from Scott's Hotrods, and the front 13.5" Z51 calipers and rotors inside the wheel with the custom hub Kore3 made for me. They're a thing of beauty. Front caliper clears by about an 1/8th of an inch, so close that I need to pull the wheel weights off and relocate them, they hit the caliper. Very, very happy with the Kore3 components. The CPP Modular spindles are at the machine shop getting the other side of the caliper mount faced so I can double up on the brackets, one on each side to stiffen the caliper mounts, I don't want any chatter, probably overkill, but since I brake late and a lot of the turns around here have 1000' drop offs, better safe...
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #58
skorpioskorpio

I read a thread about using an air dam from a '90s SS454 truck, they were cheap so I ordered one and sure enough looks like it'll fit right on there, was even available with fog light cutouts. Seems to line up perfectly with fenders and frame. Here's a pic of it clamped on the front and also a pic of the NOS Marchal fogs that will be going into it. Gotta say the pics do not do the Marchals justice, these are seriously pretty fogs I snagged, they are almost jewelry like.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #59
skorpioskorpio

Now I don't know how everybody else does it, but here's how I approached getting the body separated from the frame. I put the whole truck on jack stands and loosened up all the body mounts, then set a set of high stands under the bed support behind the rear wells which seems like a particularly sturdy one. My rockers are still off waiting to be blasted, so I spread the weight across the whole length of the torque box with a steel pickup box decking beam on 2 short jack stands per side. Then I set up a gaggle of mini furniture dollies from Harbor Freight on 2 4x6s, jacked up the back just high enough to pull the frame stands out, then the front and dropped the frame out of the bottom of the truck onto the 4x6s and wheeled it out on the dollies. Easy Peasy .

Took 10 jack stands to do this, six 3 ton and four 6 ton, but still, 2 guys, no lifting.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #60
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I pulled mine, and set it back on the frame using my engine hoist. I have a steel C channel cut to fit the width under the bed rails, side to side. If the tub is bare, the balance point is just behind the front of the bed side, right behind that vertical box section behind the door jamb. I have a couple slots cut in the beam for a chain to catch in. Hook up the hoist, jack it up, move it where you want.

Here's a pic from my thread...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=324
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #61
68 Four on the Floor

I'm lazy and used the hoist. Left the frame a roller and made carts for the box and cab.
Posted via Mobile Device
68 Four on the Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #62
skorpioskorpio

I was hoping to get the frame out to the blaster this week but delays and coordination have forced me to have to procrastinate that a bit. Delmo is full up because I missed my window, since he was going to do the Porterbuilt frame prep, so maybe this weekend I'll grind off all the crap the PO welded to the rear of the frame. I don't really understand why it was necessary to weld in the rear cross member and bumper brackets to mount a cheap 3500lb, 200lb tongue loop hitch but he did.

My plates are off to the Tag Dr and will come back all new and shiny and scored an unused red month sticker (those of you from the other 49 states will have no idea what I'm on about), and my Marchal lighting is starting to trickle in. Also need to start stripping the firewall.

There was a post a week or so back in the pickup forums about the odd extra wiper mount under the cowl which has me all intrigued now and noticed that '66 and earlier has opposed wipe wiper linkage (as opposed to 67-72 parallel linkage) and thinking this may be translatable to these trucks. I would really like to extend the cowl induction hood all the way to the windshield and opposed wipers solves the issue with the passenger side wiper that would cause.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #63
skorpioskorpio

The lack of replies vs number of views ratio leads me to believe that maybe my concept is a little out there for many, hmmm...

Anyway, if that's the case this probably won't help, got these today to graft into the front fenders :
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #64
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

Quote:
The lack of replies vs number of views ratio leads me to believe that maybe my concept is a little out there for many, hmmm...

Anyway, if that's the case this probably won't help, got these today to graft into the front fenders :
What are those from? I'm wanting to do heat extractors on my stock hood.
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #65
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasted Income View Post
What are those from? I'm wanting to do heat extractors on my stock hood.
I was originally thinking 6 or 8 in louvers in the hood, like an E-Type, but seems tooling for those kind of louvers is a rare commodity, and not sure my TBI socks would like it much when it rains. The extractors are off of a 70-81 Trans Am, seemed like a good compromise to me.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #66
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

Nice. Looking forward to seeing them installed.
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #67
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Quote:

Nope, been wracking my brain trying to figure out how to get the wipers to turn opposed with the stock motor... then how well will it work when I escape to blizzard climates.

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 06-06-2013, 04:39 AM   #68
skorpioskorpio

Seems like the 60-66 use the same wiper motor and have opposing wipers, the difference is the linkage on the 67-72s attach on a single downward facing lever on the motor, and the 60-66 have a "T" type linkage with the drivers wiper attached below the motor shaft and the passenger above the shaft. Top is 60-66 bottom is 67-72:

I know it's hard to tell exactly what's going on there, but seems like you could just use the 60-66 lever and make your own rods to length. The difficult part is the cowl panel. Now for me, I want to extend the cowl induction into the cowl and maybe only have vents in the cowl scoop itself and smooth the outer parts like they did on some later C3 vettes, would make fabbing the wiper hole easier. I plan on using a vintage air unit so the cowl vents are actually completely irrelevant anyway. I would personally love to get the wipers to stack behind an extended scoop just short of the windshield but don't know if that is possible.

As far as snow, I think it would actually work better, you don't have the drivers wiper dumping snow onto the passenger one. Used to have a friend with an early '70s Mercedes with opposing wipers in Chicago with a foot switch (before intermittents) to turn them on for a single stroke, and they seemed to just magically fling all the snow off the windshield.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #69
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

I'll have to look at my 65... it does look like they would work

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 06-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #70
skorpioskorpio

Now of all the pics of parts for this project I've taken, this is the one that makes me smile the most and also the one that I fear will turn all the readers of this thread into Despicable Me Minions going "whaaa?" and for this reason I've hesitated to post it, but this is the lighting that will be going on the front of my rally car to be Jimmy, all vintage Marchal:
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #71
skorpioskorpio

...and of course the tail has plans as well, here is a rough Photoshop of what I'm thinking for the back end, which would use Suburban backup lenses on the inner tailgate mounted lamps. The taillights would need to be LED to reduce the depth so they fit within the depth of the tailgate. The idea is to do Thunderbird/Cougar/Shelby style sequencing turn signals. I'm kind of torn with which LED lamps would go best, I think the Digitails are simply too expensive for what they are, There is another type that uses 20 LEDs and a more modern looking lens which I like but they are pretty unsophisticated in their operation, and then there is a third style that will strobe 3 times then solid on braking but is intended to use the somewhat bland looking original lenses. The Festler lenses are cool, but expensive and there is no Suburban version of the backups, and the Marquez Designs ones are cool (Digitail based) would cost me thousands and there still isn't a Suburban version.

Maybe I can do up a simple board and control it with Aduino Board contol and maybe accelerometer based intensity and/or strobing for the brake lights.
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2013, 12:55 AM   #72
68 Four on the Floor

that would be different... looking forward to seein how your gonna mount up that LL8
68 Four on the Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:18 AM   #73
skorpioskorpio

Mounting it up is not so big a deal it has these nice iron wings on it, more the issue is the dyslexic manner it's laid out. Alternator and air conditioning compressor bolt directly to the block (no brackets) on the drivers side, and the power steering pump sits on a combo bracket with the belt tensioner on the passenger side, meaning both the air conditioning compressor and the power steering lines need to cross sides to be in the right place. Heat in/out are on opposite sides of the block and the radiator hi/lo are opposite sides from, well pretty much any other GM engine. So I need a custom backwards radiator and I guess I'll be running a bundle of lines between the rack and crossmember on the Porterbuilt drop member.
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2013, 04:30 AM   #74
skorpioskorpio

Here is the Trans Am extractors laid onto the fenders, they should work out well, the fender curve is really really close, and my concern that they would be too far back and into the cowl plenum were unfounded, they should be right where they need to be with the open area just before it. Looks like you'll even get a little peek of the stacks in the drivers side one. I plan on moving the GMC/Jimmy emblem down between the extractor and the beltline.
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #75
skorpioskorpio

Front seats showed up today, I'm quite pleased, how can you not be, they're the holy grail of seats IMO:
Attached Images