The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2016, 11:10 PM   #1
SKFengineer

After market heater core question.

Our 1956 3100 truck came with the basic (non-Deluxe) heater core, looks like a donut, and basic fan package. The stock core started leaking on the way to a car show this fall so we are looking to replace the unit. We know there are several "Deluxe" options out there but this is mostly a fair weather truck so we don't see the need to follow the Deluxe route. In looking for a replacement heater core to our original unit we stumbled on one unit from "Classic Part's" in Missouri. Typically they are not my "go-to" for parts as I've found things can be hit or miss but I wanted to ask about the heater core they have listed on their site, has anyone used it? Seems like it would replace the stock fan motor unit and has duct outputs for the defroster.

In general I'm just trying to understand if this unit works and fits as one would hope understanding it's not the "Deluxe" system.

Here is the link: http://www.classicparts.com/1955-59-...nfo/68%2D991B/

Thanks

- George
SKFengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:43 PM   #2
SKFengineer

Re: After market heater core question.

Seems like if we buy this piece I might be the guinea pig... We'll see what happens, these things are so easy to get at and the cost of replacing stock parts are so high we might just try this thing and hope for the best. I wear shorts all year round up here in PA so it will mostly be my wife that has an opinion of this thing and I'll only care if it pukes coolant on the floor.

If I learn anything I'll update here.

- George
Old 12-15-2016, 12:56 PM   #3
NeoJuice

I wonder if this would work for pre-55. The price is pretty good. Oh.........and my dumb luck, I just looked and they do have one for 47-54.

Has anyone installed one of these units?

http://www.classicparts.com/1947-54-.../#.WFLLbEnruck
NeoJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:46 PM   #4
Second Series

I had my heater core repaired at a radiator shop for less than half that price, you might want to look into that option.
Second Series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:08 PM   #5
SKFengineer

I've had ours to the local radiator shop and they have stated it's less money to replace the unit. The kicker is we had the heater core pressure tested but during assembly it seems we damaged it creating a pinhole leak. Then when removing it to assess the pinhole we put a long "rip" in the core. I swear we are not just bash and dash mechanics but in this case it seems we could have done better. Live and learn.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:02 PM   #6
xaircav

I had an original donut style round heater core in my "53 and repaired 3 leaks before I gave up and got the one from Classic Parts. It is compact, throws a lot of heat and comes with a three speed switch.
xaircav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:29 PM   #7
chevyguyase

Check out nostalgicac.com. I think there in Texas. They have a complete kit for 149.00 or you can just buy the parts that you need. They are very good people and easy to work with. I bought a AC/heater/defrost kit from them, all USA made except the compressor. Works great.
chevyguyase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:52 AM   #8
1project2many

The one from Classic Parts is very similar to heaters installed in our buses and handicap conversion vans. The motor will use multiple coils to create the various speeds rather than using a resistor, which means any multiple position switch of sufficient rating can control the motor. In buses we often have three speed motors but only two speeds are utilized. The parts seem to be made overseas these days but we're all getting used to that. A google search for the 68-991 heater brings up quite a few links back to forums where purchasers seem to be happy with the purchase.

There are multiple versions of a small heater available from several manufacturers. Bergstrom, Kysor, and Proair are brands I've seen in our vehicles. The Classic Industries product appears to be a Maradyne 5000 series heater, an H-503012, with a MFA126 or MFA127 Defrost Kit. Looking at Summit and several other sites the combined price for heater and defrost kit seem to be in the same neighborhood as Classic Parts' offering.
Maradyne's web site
5000 series heater with remote switch

There are smaller Maradyne heaters available in the 4000 series although I don't know if they are aesthetically appealing in a TF truck.

Last edited by 1project2many; 12-18-2016 at 11:17 AM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:14 AM   #9
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKFengineer View Post
Our 1956 3100 truck came with the basic (non-Deluxe) heater core, looks like a donut, and basic fan package. The stock core started leaking on the way to a car show this fall so we are looking to replace the unit. We know there are several "Deluxe" options out there but this is mostly a fair weather truck so we don't see the need to follow the Deluxe route. In looking for a replacement heater core to our original unit we stumbled on one unit from "Classic Part's" in Missouri. Typically they are not my "go-to" for parts as I've found things can be hit or miss but I wanted to ask about the heater core they have listed on their site, has anyone used it? Seems like it would replace the stock fan motor unit and has duct outputs for the defroster.

In general I'm just trying to understand if this unit works and fits as one would hope understanding it's not the "Deluxe" system.

Here is the link: http://www.classicparts.com/1955-59-...nfo/68%2D991B/

Thanks

- George
Just a thought George, if your truck is a fair weather ride, why have a heater at all?? I know's nice to have one when you need it, but that depends upone your need. I've bought a lot of parts for my 56 3100 from Classic parts and never have had a problem, so they're my choice. good luck.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:27 PM   #10
SKFengineer

Thanks to everyone for their response.

First we did order a heater from Classic Parts so we'll give this a go... In response to why have a heater I sort of agree but my wife does not and she is one of the reasons I got the truck. She has always liked the more "curvy" truck with more chrome, so here we are... Truth be told she wanted an AD truck from the start but she is quite tall (6'3") and it was a tight squeeze for both of us to be in the truck. Either way she gets cold way faster than I do so the heater is semi-required by her. Earlier this month before the snow came we took the truck out for an afternoon ride and the high temp was in the 20's... I was told no more rides without a heater.

- Merry Christmas everyone and I'll report back on any interesting results.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:30 PM   #11
Coupeguy2001

If it doesn't work out, I have a factory heater for sale
hillenger512@cox.net
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:51 PM   #12
SKFengineer

Thank you all for your continued time in viewing this thread. So we got the unit from Classic Parts over Christmas. The appearance of the unit is clean and nice but close inspection shows that not a single bolt hole or heater line hole is in the same position as the original unit. While I want to avoid cutting more holes in our firewall at all costs I took the supplied template out in the garage this afternoon and tried to see where the unit could be mounted. We still have the original battery tray ( with no plans to re-locate it ) and that leads me to a question. For the folks that used this unit in their truck how did you mount this heater core in relation to the battery tray and the bottom of the vertical part of the firewall. It's not my favorite location but it looks like you could put the unit centered under the battery tray but close inspection of that plan shows the heater "box" mounted on the inside will be possibility too low and get kicked out rearward by the section of the firewall that transitions on an angle from the firewall to the foot well. Am I justified in this concern? Did anyone try mounting this unit more towards the passenger side fender? It looks like making some small notches in the battery tray bracket for one of the coolant lines could allow us to move the unit higher and over out of the way more. Just wondering if there are some upside or downsides I haven't considered.

Thanks again...

- George
Old 12-29-2016, 11:30 AM   #13
my56chevytruck

George,
Could you weld the necessary bolts to a small plate and then weld the plate to your firewall, (aligining the bolts to your heater) negating the necessity of drilling new mounting holes. At least you could then mount your heater without perferating the firewall.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:13 PM   #14
SKFengineer

Thanks for your thoughts on the welded plate and studs... Two things, first the holes that are most concerning are the coolant lines for the heater core, they will need to be 3/4" in diameter or greater and there aren't a lot of good options on how to hide them and it's nearly impossible to use any of the old heater core coolant line holes. Second with respect to the welded bolts it would require greater modification of the Classic Parts supplied heater core as it has studs welded to the case for mounting so we would need to grind them off and drill holes for bolts and nuts if we continue with that plan. I'm not against making modifications as I've already considered changing the position of the heater core tubes so they come out of the side and we can route the coolant lines hidden from the side somehow. Just curious how others have mounted this heater before I make changes that I can not reverse.

Thanks again.

- George