The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-21-2018, 03:32 AM   #1
BigRandy

Replaced pinion seal but did I do it right?

After reading and watching videos I replaced a leaky pinion seal today. It was super easy if I did it right.

Marked the yoke, nut and housing, then counted 1-1/2 threads showing so I'd know how far to go when putting it back together. I pulled the nut using an impact so I can't say how tight the nut was but it zipped it off without a problem.

When I put it back together I used a 1/2" drive ratchet and ran it up til the marks were lined up and 1-1/2 threads were showing past the nut, same as before. I felt a little resistance but I never felt the nut get tight. Almost snug maybe but nowhere near tight. I'd say it was similar to setting a crown nut on the spindle after changing a wheel bearing - except using marks and threads as a guide.

I know it's critical to set it right but for some reason I thought it would be tighter.

This may be a dumb question but does my description of the reassembly sound right? If not what should the nut feel like going back on?

Thanks
BigRandy is offline   Reply With Quote