The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2024, 05:09 PM   #1
8man

Power windows

I have been looking at the Specialty power window kit and was thinking about using it on the 57.

However, when the local glass shop cut the windows for the 48, they couldn't get them exact and they still aren't airtight, so I get a lot of wind noise. So, I was thinking about going with the Brothers one piece glass kit on the 57, as that is supposed to fit and seal, then the Specialty power windows kit. I would also like to use Altman latches which may complicate things.

I have watched the YouTube videos on one piece glass install on a door with Altman latches, BJSRJSCS seems to be a good one, but it doesn't have electric windows.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a 57?

Thanks.
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
[/URL]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840204

Last edited by 8man; 01-03-2024 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Clarifying the truck.
8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 06:30 PM   #2
nvrdone

Re: Power windows

I've got Nurelic window kit with the stock '49 glass in the frame. seems to work good.
Havent installed my Altman latches yet but look at Tempest 67's build. He has some good ideas on how to tweek the latches.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 12:49 AM   #3
NWA58

Re: Power windows

I had plans to tackle this myself once back home but the paint shop needed to check the door guts before adding color. Good thing, because the NuRelics kit had major issues. Turns out their kit does not work well with aftermarket doors, which mine are, and I have Altman latches also. So we ordered Specialty Power Windows and they worked great. I intentionally stayed away from the Brother’s kit after hearing about all of their issues with fit, wind, noise, rattles, poor rubber and channel fit, etc. SPW included a glass template that was very different from the full glass kit I had already bought from Auto City. An experienced hand at the shop made wood windows for trial operation and then had custom glass cut to match what works. Unfortunately, I now have a set of window glass not being used.

To sum it up, few of these trucks fit together well without lots of massaging, especially at the doors. Using 1/4” wood for glass templates to fit your door and get it working before cutting glass is recommended. Remember, these doors were not designed for one-piece glass and the shape of the windows makes for a fine line between working and not.
NWA58 is offline   Reply With Quote