The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2018, 01:21 AM   #1
coveboy

New to me 87 and introduction

Hey y'all! I'm Richard, a native of the Florida panhandle and have always had a wish to own a square body at some point. My last project truck was an 88 4runner with the 22re 4cyl. Never modded it, just fixed it up to daily driver quality and sold it after a couple years. Earlier today I picked up a longbed 4x4 '87 on a trade. Truck runs decent, but the body is pretty rough. Doesn't bother me too much as I plan to use it as trail rig anyways. From the factory it had a 5L v8, but I was told it is now running a 350 with a turbo 350 trans with a 208 transfer case. 4x4 engages, gauges function, lights work, and it even has functional windshield wipers! My plans are as follows....

The radiator has a crack and leak, so it needs replacement. I read somewhere I can bolt in a larger radiator from a k20, can anyone confirm that?

Rear drum brakes are currently non-fuctional and disconnected, so that needs to be addressed.

Shocks and leaf springs are shot out. Thinking of a rough country 4.5" lift since it includes all of these components and I would like to lift it anyways. If anyone knows of a better kit in that price range, I'm all ears and appreciate any and all advice!

New tires--thinking 35's. Really just depends on what I can find on craigslist after the lift and what will fit. Open to trimming fenders also.

Truck was rear ended, so the large bumper metal bumper on the back is tweaked down. I want to take it off and replace it with something with better angles on it, probably just weld in a straight tube across the frame rails end.

Add recovery points front/rear.

Add additional lighting. I would love an old school roll bar with some KC's across the top, but I'll tackle this one when I get there. Probably start with some spots on the bumper

Weld the rear diff. I dream of 8lug axle swaps and lockers, but I'm going to wheel it with as few mods as possible for as long as possible to see where my limitations and weakpoints lie.

Once I get the truck road worthy I'll tag it and start to wheel it. If there is anything I left out that I should prioritize, give me a shout! I haven't had too much time to research the truck or dig into it yet, but will post updates as I do. I'm working on a pretty tight budget, so progress will be somewhat slow but hopefully I can lend some knowledge and contributions to you fellow forum goers along the way. Thanks for reading!
Attached Images

coveboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:00 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: New to me 87 and introduction

welcome aboard.....

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:13 AM   #3
Bandit130

Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice
Bandit130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:33 AM   #4
TKCR

Welcome!!! The interior looks like it is Mahogany, those are pretty rare.Check the SPID sheet in the glove box and see what it says.
TKCR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Welcome to the board! Not a bad looking start for a truck.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:19 PM   #6
Joe Z

Welcome to the forum. I have to say if you're planning to run that on the road welding the diff might not be the best move. I've seen some hold up for a while but more often than not on pavement they get blown apart quick. Just my two cents. Best of luck with the project.
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:58 AM   #7
rainamy

Welded different plus big tires plus dry pavement sounds like a short term plan.

Also, if you are driving on the street and wind up involved in any type of accident where someone gets hurt, and that welded on tube stock rear bumper is involved you could be staring down a lawsuit and liability... making your own bumper is fine for trails, but on the street it better be DOT approved or someone is gonna lawyer up quick.

Even if the accident is their fault, contributory negligence just isn't really much of a defense these days, they're gonna hammer you for "worse injuries" and "excessive property damage" from it.

If you're driving on the street just use an approved bumper.
rainamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:38 AM   #8
Edahall

Interesting.....

I see a lot of trucks in my area with replacement bumpers that look like battering rams and cost a fortune. In a major collision, everything gets bent but the bumper and it causes much more damage to the other party.

And how about lifted vehicles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainamy View Post
Welded different plus big tires plus dry pavement sounds like a short term plan.

Also, if you are driving on the street and wind up involved in any type of accident where someone gets hurt, and that welded on tube stock rear bumper is involved you could be staring down a lawsuit and liability... making your own bumper is fine for trails, but on the street it better be DOT approved or someone is gonna lawyer up quick.

Even if the accident is their fault, contributory negligence just isn't really much of a defense these days, they're gonna hammer you for "worse injuries" and "excessive property damage" from it.

If you're driving on the street just use an approved bumper.
Edahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:49 AM   #9
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I've never heard that about the bumpers....can't be any different than running into a dump truck or a Mansfield bar I wouldn't think....

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:26 PM   #10
coveboy

Appreciate all the replies and welcomes! I drove the truck around my property for a couple hours, gave it a little hell to see how she'd hold up and truck did great. 4x4 functions properly and the ride isn't quite as rough as I was expecting it to be considering how bad the suspension looks. However, the transmission did spit some fluid back up the dipstick. I'm unsure what caused this; thinking either the breather is clogged or filter shot. I'm going to dig into this this weekend, but the truck was shifting fine through all the gears with no other adverse affects. Anything else I should check?

As far as the welded rear diff goes, I have a Land Cruiser to daily drive so this truck will see mostly dirt and very few paved roads. This will be my last modification on my list, so the truck will get some good use before I take it to that level and possibly destroy the differential. If I find out that after a few times off the road the truck handles well without the welded rear, I'll probably leave it open until I can afford a better alternative. Once it's shot out the truck will go back under the knife for whatever I can scavenge from pick n pull or craigslist, hopefully a 14 bolt and dana 60 for the front and a 205 transfer case.

With regards to the rear bumper, I haven't found any affordable or appealing aftermarket rear bumpers, and the stock options hang too low/far out without offering much protection and zero recovery points. With such a big truck I'm sure I'll be draggin ass on the trails, so I'd like something that won't get completely mangled or ruin departure angles.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, I genuinely do appreciate the concern and do not wish to cause harm to anyone, but the truck won't see much pavement time and I have never heard of nor can find any laws that I would be breaking with a home-brew rear bumper. I was just thinking a basic ~6" or so tube that spans from corner to corner with a couple points for D-rings to attach to. The tailgate it shot out, so I don't mind bolting the license plate straight to it. From what I have read, DOT laws on bumpers only apply to passenger cars-not pick ups, SUVs, and vans, and the truck won't be tall enough for regulations on distance between driving surface and impact area to apply. Therefore, there would be no grounds for a lawsuit against me and any claims would not hold merit. I see tons of trucks and Heeps around here with tube work bumpers and the police never seem to bat an eye
Old 03-07-2018, 08:14 PM   #11
Joe Z

I agree with you on the bumper if there's no law explicitly banning it then there's no reason to worry. In my area as long as it's not wooden or missing entirely it's legal but just a county over (10 miles) you don't even need a bumper at all.

As to the diff you can always try a lunchbox locker. They're fairly cheap and although I've never personally used them I've hear good things about them from friends as long as you're not worried about the loud engagement noises and poor on road handling. They seem to last longer in mild wheeling than a welded diff. I don't know about how well they hold up in real harsh wheeling but some other members might be able to help you with better info.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #12
rainamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edahall View Post
Interesting.....

I see a lot of trucks in my area with replacement bumpers that look like battering rams and cost a fortune. In a major collision, everything gets bent but the bumper and it causes much more damage to the other party.

And how about lifted vehicles?
It's a fine line actually. The biggest recovery we've seen at work the plaintiff that rear ended the truck got $42,000 (before the firm took legal fees and expenses). It's kind of like speeding... alls fine and well, and some cops even look the other way, until you get caught.

On a somewhat related note, the reason roll pans are approved for road use is that the trucks were available for sale new without ANY rear bumper on it. That's how they get around not getting ticketed for faulty or missing safety equiptment.

Many of the big tow style bumpers are either listed in the catelogs as off road use (much like many led bars and spot lights you can mount, but not turn on, on the roads) or had a dot approval number giving them cover. But homemade stuff... it's literally an at your own risk deal.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:34 PM   #13
rainamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coveboy View Post
Appreciate all the replies and welcomes! I drove the truck around my property for a couple hours, gave it a little hell to see how she'd hold up and truck did great. 4x4 functions properly and the ride isn't quite as rough as I was expecting it to be considering how bad the suspension looks. However, the transmission did spit some fluid back up the dipstick. I'm unsure what caused this; thinking either the breather is clogged or filter shot. I'm going to dig into this this weekend, but the truck was shifting fine through all the gears with no other adverse affects. Anything else I should check?

As far as the welded rear diff goes, I have a Land Cruiser to daily drive so this truck will see mostly dirt and very few paved roads. This will be my last modification on my list, so the truck will get some good use before I take it to that level and possibly destroy the differential. If I find out that after a few times off the road the truck handles well without the welded rear, I'll probably leave it open until I can afford a better alternative. Once it's shot out the truck will go back under the knife for whatever I can scavenge from pick n pull or craigslist, hopefully a 14 bolt and dana 60 for the front and a 205 transfer case.

With regards to the rear bumper, I haven't found any affordable or appealing aftermarket rear bumpers, and the stock options hang too low/far out without offering much protection and zero recovery points. With such a big truck I'm sure I'll be draggin ass on the trails, so I'd like something that won't get completely mangled or ruin departure angles.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, I genuinely do appreciate the concern and do not wish to cause harm to anyone, but the truck won't see much pavement time and I have never heard of nor can find any laws that I would be breaking with a home-brew rear bumper. I was just thinking a basic ~6" or so tube that spans from corner to corner with a couple points for D-rings to attach to. The tailgate it shot out, so I don't mind bolting the license plate straight to it. From what I have read, DOT laws on bumpers only apply to passenger cars-not pick ups, SUVs, and vans, and the truck won't be tall enough for regulations on distance between driving surface and impact area to apply. Therefore, there would be no grounds for a lawsuit against me and any claims would not hold merit. I see tons of trucks and Heeps around here with tube work bumpers and the police never seem to bat an eye
Nope, you don't sound like a jerk at all. Hope I don't come across too negative either. Just passing on what ive seen at work, and know to have had happen to some owners of trucks running those.

The DOT numbers on the parts constitutes irrefutable proof that the design and performance of the item, in this case a bumper, is safe and does not create a hazard on the roadways.

The legal mechanism most often used against those bumpers is gross negligence and reckless indifference to harm to other persons or property that the owner knew, or should have known, would result from their choice of materials and design, specifically by the removal of existing/approved bumper types and inserting a homemade contraption a reasonable person would know or should have known did not meet the applicable federal criteria for the year/make/model of vehicle.

Oh they throw other stuff in there too, but that's the biggest one...
Old 03-07-2018, 08:48 PM   #14
Joe Z

Another thought is the cucv military models have a stronger bumper with tow points and would be legal. Also I think the mini spool lockers are under $100.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:18 PM   #15
coveboy

Lunchbox locker is a great idea! Completely slipped my mind. Anyone out there have any experience with one on a truck like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainamy View Post
Nope, you don't sound like a jerk at all. Hope I don't come across too negative either. Just passing on what ive seen at work, and know to have had happen to some owners of trucks running those.

The DOT numbers on the parts constitutes irrefutable proof that the design and performance of the item, in this case a bumper, is safe and does not create a hazard on the roadways.

The legal mechanism most often used against those bumpers is gross negligence and reckless indifference to harm to other persons or property that the owner knew, or should have known, would result from their choice of materials and design, specifically by the removal of existing/approved bumper types and inserting a homemade contraption a reasonable person would know or should have known did not meet the applicable federal criteria for the year/make/model of vehicle.

Oh they throw other stuff in there too, but that's the biggest one...
You didn't at all! I just read my reply and tones are hard to portray in text so I didn't wanna come across negatively. I do appreciate the concern, though. I don't think what I have in mind would fall under gross negligence just because it's not factory, and if some ambulance chaser is that hell bent on suing me then I'm sure they'll find some reason to no matter what bumper I'm running.

If someone rear ends me, and then tries to sue me, I'm just going to go 19th century on them and challenge them to a duel. Settle the dispute like men. The biggest annoyance to me is distracted drivers; you are operating a multi thousand pound missile-look at what's going on around/in front of you and don't blame others when you screw up. You're lucky to be alive if you hit a full size truck! I know the law might not agree with me on this, but ehhhh (all kidding...somewhat)
Old 03-07-2018, 09:23 PM   #16
coveboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
Another thought is the cucv military models have a stronger bumper with tow points and would be legal. Also I think the mini spool lockers are under $100.
Great thoughts! The tow points is the biggest reason I want something other than a standard k10 bumper. I'm debating if I'll put a hitch on this truck or not, as I don't have much of a reason to tow with the chevy when my daily does it just fine. I have always been the recovery guy for most of my friends, so something to hook a strap up to is pertinent.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:45 PM   #17
rainamy

The one that makes me slap my head in disgust is the stories of burglars that get shot while breaking into a home (or otherwise hurt) then sue the homeowner.... and win???

Speaking of towing though... if you are tempted to put the factory tow hooks on the front, and maybe even if you arent, look at the front frame rail by the steering box. It isn't uncommon for them to crack there, especially the thinner gauge 1/2 ton frames. They make bracing plates you can reinforce them with relatively inexpensive.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:40 PM   #18
coveboy

Good idea, I haven't checked in too much depth how the frame ends look. I'll hit it with some sandpaper tomorrow and really get a good look! Some general bracing is a good idea anyways, this was a farm truck its whole life so was not treated lightly. There are a few different model chevy 4x4's at our local pick n pull right now, so I'm putting together a list now of things to go there and search for and factory tow hooks are at the top of my list.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:17 PM   #19
Joe Z

Here's a link on lockers and spools I read a while back. Should give you some good idea where to go.

https://www.chevydiy.com/lockers-and...ltimate-guide/
Old 03-20-2018, 09:39 PM   #20
Smniekamp

Nice truck man! I'm digging the heavy rear bumper, are you planning on keeping it?
Smniekamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:24 PM   #21
coveboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smniekamp View Post
Nice truck man! I'm digging the heavy rear bumper, are you planning on keeping it?
Appreciate it! I just ordered a slew of parts and started searching our local pick n pull style yards for other things I need to get her up to par. I don't plan on keeping that bumper, it hangs too low for my liking but sure is stout. If you're nearby and want it I'd be more than welling to pull it for you in exchange for a few brews, just shoot me a message!
Old 04-05-2018, 10:43 AM   #22
coveboy

Started tearing down the rear. The previous owner told me the drum brakes were shot out, so he just cut the lines to them. I haven't fooled with drum brakes in literally 10 years since I had a 97 z71, so I'm not super familiar with all the parts but am learning. Does this drum look alright to re-use? I was going to order new parts for everything except the backing plate and drum assuming the cylinder is what is shot out, but was unsure if I should spend the money on drums too. They appear fine to me and trying to save as much money as I can.
And ignore how dirty everything is, haven't started really cleaning it up yet since I was unsure what all I will reuse.
Attached Images

Last edited by coveboy; 04-05-2018 at 10:55 AM.