The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2017, 12:18 PM   #1
jkmhb

Question 58 modified which radiator hoses?

On my 58 - I have a pre-LS small block V8 set back (with a small cap distributor it fits in front of an unmodified firewall). The motor also has a Holley Stealth Ram fuel injection and serpentine system off a 94 Silverado. The thermostat housing I used comes out at about a 45 degree angle towards the driver's side. I also have a Champion Aluminum Radiator.

My question - if anyone has an idea, are there molded radiator hoses that I can use for the upper and lower? I would rather avoid the accordion style universal hoses. A Gates 20505 lower was listed to fit, but was way too short!

Thank you.

1965 Corvette Convertible 350/Richmond 5-speed
jkmhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:56 PM   #2
Rude Dude

Re: 58 modified which radiator hoses?

I use a flexible aluminum air duct that's close in size from hardware store to mimic the radiator hose. I bend it to the shape that's required then tape outside of duct to keep shape run to auto parts store to compare correct size and diameter OD radiator hose. Funny but it works
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:03 PM   #3
Black_Sheep

Most "good" parts places have a decent inventory of preformed radiator hoses. Armed with a rough idea and a tape measure, the counter guys let me go through their hoses and come up with a couple that worked. The lower hose had to be cut, shortened and twisted a little to make it fit. I just cut between the bends and used a piece of stainless pipe to join the 2 halves back together.
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:07 PM   #4
jkmhb

That's a great idea, if I can find a decent real auto parts store.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:42 PM   #5
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dude View Post
I use a flexible aluminum air duct that's close in size from hardware store to mimic the radiator hose. I bend it to the shape that's required then tape outside of duct to keep shape run to auto parts store to compare correct size and diameter OD radiator hose. Funny but it works
Rude Dude is exactly correct, i wish I had thought of that, but I made up a mock up of various towel and toilet paper rolls, (my wife still doesn't know where all that paper had gone to), and although it wasn't smooth in shape, it worked at the local NAPA store. of course they asked about the amount of paper I had wasted, but that's for another story. Watch out for the mysterious question you'll be asked: uhhhh sir, what is the year of truck and motor size you are using? duhhhhh
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:52 PM   #6
nail pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by my56chevytruck View Post
Rude Dude is exactly correct, i wish I had thought of that, but I made up a mock up of various towel and toilet paper rolls, (my wife still doesn't know where all that paper had gone to), and although it wasn't smooth in shape, it worked at the local NAPA store. of course they asked about the amount of paper I had wasted, but that's for another story. Watch out for the mysterious question you'll be asked: uhhhh sir, what is the year of truck and motor size you are using? duhhhhh
X3. I used a wire coat hanger, bent it up and headed to NAPA to find one. I had to shorten both upper and lower hoses. I am using a swivel neck housing from Summit. So far no complaints.
nail pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:49 PM   #7
mr48chev

Rude Dude's suggestion works great. You have to have more than a little bit of vision though as the hose you want most likely is part of another hose that has the right bends where you need them.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #8
jackson

I did same thing. with a coat hanger not as hard as I thought it was gonna be
jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:02 PM   #9
MARTINSR

Yep, did this for years. A good parts store will have a LOT of hoses to go through. Keep an open mind in that you may get a hose 2 feet long and cut both ends ending up with a foot long hose for your truck. The bends can be less than perfect but end up working well. So keep an open mind when you are making your template too, make a few different ones so you can have some options as to where the bends really need to be, often they can be moved quite a bit, as long as the ENDS are where they need to be.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:44 PM   #10
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmhb View Post
The thermostat housing I used comes out at about a 45 degree angle towards the driver's side. I also have a Champion Aluminum Radiator.
If the radiator inlet is on the drivers side look at a 70 Z-28 hose. That is what I used for my 64 Chevelle when I upgraded the radiator. The Z-28 t stat housing points like your. On my truck I used the coat hanger method. Here are the numbers I used, lower might work for you.

A member asked what radiator hoses I used. The upper is a Gates 20416, I had to shorten the end that goes on the radiator. The lower is a Gates 20584, I had to shorten the radiator end on it too. The applications are not GM, I took in a bent wire and diameters. I got them at OReilys.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:59 PM   #11
_Ogre

i used a blend of rubber hose and ss tubing
Attached Images

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer

Last edited by _Ogre; 08-24-2017 at 12:10 PM.
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:05 PM   #12
Coupeguy2001

what"s the radiator for originally?
If it's a 58 chevy truck, and the radiator hoses are too short, you were looking at 6 cyl. hoses.
Go back and ask for V8 hoses. Mine were too long, and had to cut about an inch and a half off of the top hose, and the bottom one fit perfectly. I used an 89 Corvette gen 1 engine with an edelbrock intake. But you have to go get a straight thermostat housing,not a 45 degree outlet. it all fits like factory.

Last edited by Coupeguy2001; 08-23-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:29 PM   #13
jkmhb

can't use a straight thermostat housing - it would put the upper hose in the path of the serpentine idler I'm using (system off a '94 Silverado).It's all going to be kind of tight, also trying to run air filter on a Holley Stealth Ram.