The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2016, 09:52 AM   #1
Ta2edjr

4l60e swap

Ok so I just had trans rebuilt on my 99 rcsb 99 silverado 4.8 4l60e manual 4x4 while towing a tractor after hearing some very funny noises I get home look under the truck and realized frame is broke on driver side...after welding rust and patching it a few different times it's broke again...so my question is what all vehicles and what year will my drivetrain swap into..I know 99-02 silverado and sierra but what about tahoe yukon avalanche of different years. I'm looking at finding a truck with a bad trans or needing a engine to swap all of my parts onto..truck has low miles and trans has less than 1000 ok it after rebuild...just trying to recoup some of my money that I've spent on the truck. Any help is appreciated thanks. Pic of the truck just for attention.
Attached Images

Ta2edjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:57 AM   #2
izzy_Britton

Re: 4l60e swap

your drivetrain will swap into many many rigs.

99-06 for sure all trucks, suburban, yukon, avalache, hummer.

pretty sure 07-11 trucks and burbs, yukons, avalanche, and hummer

a lot of the vehicles have same or similar parts... H2, trailblazer, envoy, etc.

but as you mentioned your looking for a replacement type truck so keep with the full size theme. and you must get a 4X4 if your planning to swap 4X4 parts, the 2WD trucks do not have the provisions for t-case and front diff.

on a different note, you could just find a replacement frame and just do a frame swap, maybe a bit excessive but doable.

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:25 AM   #3
Ta2edjr

I thought that 03+ newer trucks and suvs had different plug ins for the 4l60 trans...just curious more or less if it would be a direct swap I can deal with wiring but didn't know if 03+ ecms would accept and read 99-02 parts
Old 10-21-2016, 05:21 PM   #4
izzy_Britton

I believe 99-06 have the same computer plug-in on the transmission, but 03 or somewhere around then has a different plug in for the neutral safety switch, but the switch unbolts from trans so that's no big deal.

I am not for certain either, but I think all the computers are more or less interchangeable physically 99-07ish, but there are some feature changes in the software/flash between the years, a tuner could make the necessary changes for fairly cheap. ie dbw or dbc throttle bodies. I am using an 05 computer in my ls swap that is an 03, a tuner made some changes for vats, and dbc.

Your options really are limitless within these year ranges for direct fit.. especially considering that if you did an engine trans swap from like to like (2500 truck to say maybe suburban) your going to use the (what I call) hard parts.. Engine(hard part) but not necessarily intake manifold and fuel rails(accessories). The blocks are virtually the same from 99-12, some have active fuel management stuff or a different cam position sensor and different crank position sensor (24 vs 52 tooth) but virtually the same and again aruner program the computer to make most if not all the changes for hard part swap.

Just food for thought, do NOT accept my babbling as absolute truth. Figure out what you have found and do a little research. I BELIEVE I am correct here tho. Maybe? LoL
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:17 PM   #5
clinebarger

All '96-'06 4L60E's are electrically the same.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:15 PM   #6
izzy_Britton

Cline: What changed in 07 ?
Old 10-21-2016, 11:53 PM   #7
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy_Britton View Post
Cline: What changed in 07 ?
2007 is a crazy year because the GMT800 & GMT900 were sold congruently.

2007 GMT800 trucks used the same 4L60E that was used for the 2006 model year.
2007 GMT900 trucks used a Input Speed Sensor(ISS) equipped 4L60E which is required for "Controlled TCC Slip" for the then new "AFM"/Cylinder Deactivation feature on full size trucks.

The first ISS 4L60E were built exclusively for the GMT360 platform that had the LH6 5.3L AFM engine for the 2005 & 2006 model years, The 2006 Trailblazer SS used a ISS equipped 4L70E.....Even though the LS2 didn't have AFM, But the TCM still required the ISS signal.

YOU CAN swap ISS 4L60E's in place of Non-ISS 4L60E's with no issues.
YOU CANNOT swap a Non-ISS 4L60E into a Platform that requires it.

In late 2008 (2009 model year) GM eliminated the 3-2 Shift Solenoid making these units unusable in earlier model years without Valve Body, Plate, & Harness changes.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:49 AM   #8
Ta2edjr

I appreciate everyone's info it has helped alot!