The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2023, 10:21 PM   #1
jonesky2

Engine placement

So I’ve been building a 72 k10 short bed truck that I put a turbo 5.3l ls mated to nv4500 and a np241 transfer case. I’m using the pacific fab crossmember and I’m worried my motor is sitting too far forward. I could probably move it back 2 inches but I’m not sure how much of a difference that would make. After looking at other swaps mine seems further forward than most. Hard to tell from pictures.
Attached Images

Last edited by jonesky2; 04-11-2023 at 10:55 PM.
jonesky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 10:53 PM   #2
jonesky2

Re: Engine placement

here are some pictures
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2023, 11:21 PM   #3
Orefactory4x4 swb

Can’t help, but man that looks good. I’d like to set up my k10 like that.
Orefactory4x4 swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 12:33 AM   #4
Richard

From the look of pics your motor is about the same place as my 6.2, maybe I am a bit further back? The front tab of the engine motor mount is about even with the back edge of axle tube but I installed the motor mount brackets opposite that you did. I used the PacFab crossmember also. Odd that your crossmember bolts through side frame and mine bolted into stock 4x4 crossmember location. Think my crossmember is further back than yours but the way I installed brackets on motor moved it forward. I could set engine back about an inch more with the firewall clearance I have, but it was a pain to get it in with the crossmember where it is now so I will leave where it is. A pic that shows measurement to pulleys, factory Camaro ZL1/Corvette spacing. My Gilmer Blower belt pulleys still have room and intake tube fits.

Edit to provide more accurate info on the belt spacing. Stock Camaro is same as truck. LSA in mine is same as Corvette. Front of pulley is 2 1/8" from timing cover. A link from the vender I got my accessory drive from. https://www.lsxconcepts.com/pages/wh...fset-do-i-need
Attached Images

Last edited by Richard; 04-12-2023 at 02:34 AM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 04:36 PM   #5
jonesky2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orefactory4x4 swb View Post
Can’t help, but man that looks good. I’d like to set up my k10 like that.
thanks!
Old 04-14-2023, 04:42 PM   #6
jonesky2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
From the look of pics your motor is about the same place as my 6.2, maybe I am a bit further back? The front tab of the engine motor mount is about even with the back edge of axle tube but I installed the motor mount brackets opposite that you did. I used the PacFab crossmember also. Odd that your crossmember bolts through side frame and mine bolted into stock 4x4 crossmember location. Think my crossmember is further back than yours but the way I installed brackets on motor moved it forward. I could set engine back about an inch more with the firewall clearance I have, but it was a pain to get it in with the crossmember where it is now so I will leave where it is. A pic that shows measurement to pulleys, factory Camaro ZL1/Corvette spacing. My Gilmer Blower belt pulleys still have room and intake tube fits.

Edit to provide more accurate info on the belt spacing. Stock Camaro is same as truck. LSA in mine is same as Corvette. Front of pulley is 2 1/8" from timing cover. A link from the vender I got my accessory drive from. https://www.lsxconcepts.com/pages/wh...fset-do-i-need

Ya im not really sure. I do think my motor is still further forward than yours. I got my crossmember probably 4-5yrs ago. Ive decided im just going to try and slide my motor back as far as i can, it sucks, but from the reading ive been doing every inch is about 30 to 40lbs of weight transfer.

thanks for the response! your build is awesome!!!
Old 04-14-2023, 06:17 PM   #7
jonesky2

Hey Richard, Is there any way you could measure off the front of your engine block to that front factory crossmember or any other reference points on the frame from the block? I want to compare it to mine. If its within a half inch of yours I might just leave it. Every thing fits like I need it to but seeing everyone elses builds makes me worried.
Old 04-15-2023, 06:12 PM   #8
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesky2 View Post
Hey Richard, Is there any way you could measure off the front of your engine block to that front factory crossmember or any other reference points on the frame from the block? I want to compare it to mine. If its within a half inch of yours I might just leave it. Every thing fits like I need it to but seeing everyone elses builds makes me worried.
Front of engine to front edge of crossmember is 12". Tried to line up end of tape with the center V of crossmember.
Attached Images

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote