The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2020, 05:42 PM   #401
FAKKY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Redington Beach
Posts: 946
Re: 57 Panel "FAKMLC" build

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
if you want a stylish one, that looks nice. if I ever put one on I will get an LED fog light and install it under the bed so its mostly invisible when off but looks like a blinding portal to heaven when I need to back up.

where I live though the LED tail lights do a great job of lighting things up behind me.
Good tip --- I have a few LED lights around and they are cheap

Last electrical question for the weekend .....

Is this how most people wire their harness to their ignition (with proper soldered/crimped connects of course.



Just seem to be big wires ...... I know they are fused at the block ...... but just want to make sure as I assume a lot of current goes through that on startup etc.
__________________
FAKKY 57 PANEL BUILD
FAKKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:47 PM   #402
joedoh
Senior Member
 
joedoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Doodah Kansas
Posts: 5,680
Re: 57 Panel "FAKMLC" build

is that the back of the key switch?

almost no current goes through the start wire, it has a solenoid that engages the big batt wire.

everything switched by the key and fused at the fusebox runs through those wires, all acc and ign circuits, thats the origin!
__________________
the mass of men live lives of quiet desperation

New Project! BICKLE


if there is a problem, I can have it.
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:02 PM   #403
FAKKY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Redington Beach
Posts: 946
Re: 57 Panel "FAKMLC" build

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
is that the back of the key switch?

almost no current goes through the start wire, it has a solenoid that engages the big batt wire.

everything switched by the key and fused at the fusebox runs through those wires, all acc and ign circuits, thats the origin!

Yup back of key switch.
Just suprised to see such thick wires.
But like 'ACC' could be powering a bunch of stuff like radios, lights right ?

Anyway- ok to wire up like this - I assume so as most builds I've seen do the same.
__________________
FAKKY 57 PANEL BUILD
FAKKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:43 AM   #404
FAKKY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Redington Beach
Posts: 946
Re: 57 Panel "FAKMLC" build

I have been chasing down a lack of power to my new ididt column front left turn signal.

I think its a problem with the column - unless there is some trickery I don't understand.

Using a powerprobe.

With key on ign I have power to Purple (Turn Signal Feed) at connector L

When i select Right turn signal - I have power at back of wires of the ididit column plug (for right F and right read - Green[N] and Royal Blue [J])

When I select no turn signal there is no power.
When I select hazard my dash lights and rear lights up correctly.

But.
When I select left turn signal
I have power at back of ididit column plug connector M (yellow left rear) but have NO power at connector H (light blue left front turn).

seems to me like an issue with that circuit internally ....
__________________
FAKKY 57 PANEL BUILD
FAKKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:46 AM   #405
FAKKY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Redington Beach
Posts: 946
Re: 57 Panel "FAKMLC" build

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
everything switched by the key and fused at the fusebox runs through those wires, all acc and ign circuits, thats the origin!
Right - but just wondering since thats the case why they use (guessing here on exact thickness) 14 gauge wire to the ACC for example .... instead of say 20 gauge. More for my education.
__________________
FAKKY 57 PANEL BUILD
FAKKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:48 PM   #406
FAKKY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Redington Beach
Posts: 946
Re: 57 Panel "FAKMLC" build

Think I worked out/stumbled on power to front indicator issue. Bad groudn somewhere. I had to tak my rear left light out to fish the licence plate wire though and lost power on self grounding housing ..... but then got power to front Weird ..... well probably not weird just ...... now I know.

The wiring and bulb is toast for the licence plate, single wire self grounded.
Anyone got any recommendations on replacement bulb/socket for rear license plate ?
Has to fit in that small housing and also have "lip" on it to attach to stock plate bracket.
__________________
FAKKY 57 PANEL BUILD
FAKKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:00 PM   #407
joedoh
Senior Member
 
joedoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Doodah Kansas
Posts: 5,680
Re: 57 Panel "FAKMLC" build

its usually grounds haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAKKY View Post
Right - but just wondering since thats the case why they use (guessing here on exact thickness) 14 gauge wire to the ACC for example .... instead of say 20 gauge. More for my education.

well I wouldnt even wire a radio on 20ga.

it goes batt->ign switch->fusebox and THEN out to everything from the fusebox, so the wire in has to be bigger than the sum of the wires out.
__________________
the mass of men live lives of quiet desperation

New Project! BICKLE


if there is a problem, I can have it.
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:35 AM   #408
FAKKY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Redington Beach
Posts: 946
Re: 57 Panel "FAKMLC" build

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
it goes batt->ign switch->fusebox and THEN out to everything from the fusebox, so the wire in has to be bigger than the sum of the wires out.
And I guess since its a small run (IGN switch) to the fuse box where it splits out .... it can support a lot of AMP even on 14GA or whatever it is as its only a 4ft run.

Wonder what those switches can typically hold before issues with a lot of circuits active.
__________________
FAKKY 57 PANEL BUILD
FAKKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:39 PM   #409
FAKKY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Redington Beach
Posts: 946
Re: 57 Panel "FAKMLC" build

This is the light socket for real licence plate need to find a replacement for.



closest I have found so far is .....

https://tinyurl.com/w6dqzvg
__________________
FAKKY 57 PANEL BUILD
FAKKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:08 PM   #410
joedoh
Senior Member
 
joedoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Doodah Kansas
Posts: 5,680
Re: 57 Panel "FAKMLC" build

based on the lugs on your key switch I would say its probably 30A.

the wires you are showing look like 12ga, which can handle ~20a in short runs, maybe a little more. modern ignition wiring is almost 10ga, so probably 11?

wire gauge is like steel gauge, the lower the number the higher the capacity, so 12ga is the same as having 6 20ga.

its worth stating that fuses are there to protect the wire, not the equipment, so the max current of a wire is reflected in the fuse size.

you can rebuild that socket, a lot of companies make a bulb base repair kit, or you can use a replacement. search for 1156 which is the single filament bayonet mounting bulb type. here is one I found quickly

https://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Wirin.../dp/B008DXRJN2

remember that your current socket grounds through the base in contact with the sheetmetal. newer sockets may have a separate ground.
__________________
the mass of men live lives of quiet desperation

New Project! BICKLE


if there is a problem, I can have it.
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:07 AM   #411
FAKKY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Redington Beach
Posts: 946
Re: 57 Panel "FAKMLC" build

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
based on the lugs on your key switch I would say its probably 30A.

the wires you are showing look like 12ga, which can handle ~20a in short runs, maybe a little more. modern ignition wiring is almost 10ga, so probably 11?

wire gauge is like steel gauge, the lower the number the higher the capacity, so 12ga is the same as having 6 20ga.

its worth stating that fuses are there to protect the wire, not the equipment, so the max current of a wire is reflected in the fuse size.

you can rebuild that socket, a lot of companies make a bulb base repair kit, or you can use a replacement. search for 1156 which is the single filament bayonet mounting bulb type. here is one I found quickly

https://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Wirin.../dp/B008DXRJN2

remember that your current socket grounds through the base in contact with the sheetmetal. newer sockets may have a separate ground.
Thanks Joedoh.
I think off the ignition terminal I have two wires .... essentially 1 that powers half of the body fuse panel ..... and 1 that goes to my LS engine control panel (coils, fuel pump etc) ..... so just got me thinking wonder how that all works in terms of safety off the switch itself.

Got all of the wiring under the dash cleaned up last night night .... more work than I thought inverted on my back hiding wires
Should be ready to start hanging the front clip here soon and wiring the front lights.
__________________
FAKKY 57 PANEL BUILD
FAKKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com