The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > Suspension, Steering and Brakes

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

York Air Compressors Identify and Rebuild

A while back I put together some York Air Compressor info while I was looking for one for my 2000 Jeep TJ. Its kinda wordy, but I hope it helps somebody whos looking to run an engine mounted one. My intent isn't to push anybody over to the dark side looking at Jeeps and I'd gladly convert that info for this site just the same if needed.

Anyways since this looked like the right are I figured I'd share. Hopefully some day I'll get one of these in my 65. I don't want to sound like an expert so please don't think I'm trying to be one. Just sharing the love.

In my experience with others the York 210 is the sought after model because of its CFM it can push. Most of the time the 206, 209 and 210 are found. This is a list of donors. http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/...ork_Donors.php

Here is how you identify the 210
http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/york/idyork/

Tearing down the York and looking inside.
http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/york/yorkteardown/

Rebuilding the York. I think I spent approximately $20 or so dollars to get new O-rings and gaskets. Super simple and I ended up finding out that my York was missing things. Go figure huh?
http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/york/yorkrebuild/

I forgot I posted this and didn't check back. Yes its a air conditioner pump, but it also works as a great air compressor. You just fill up the case with a little 10w-30 and it will rock your socks. I can fill up a 33-inch tire in about 30 or so seconds from 10PSI to 30+. Keep in mind thats with no air tank. Normally us Jeep guys run with a 2.5 or 5 gallon tank straped up under the frame oposite of our muffler running a pressure switch. Click the power switch, hook up an air hose and fill. The tank starts to drain and as soon as the tank hits around 100PSI the compressor kicks on of course while your still filling. I think the cut off on the compressor is around 130 or so.

This site rocks for all of your regular needs. I'm not promoting them by any means, but they get it done. Anways heres some really good info on how it works.

http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/faq.htm for those of you that are to lazy to follow a URL here it is.

What type of oil should I use and how much?
Typical engine oil such as 10w30 will work fine. Run 8-10 ounces. We stock dipsticks if you don't have one.

I see you lay the compressor down in some applications. Is that ok? Will it pump more oil out if I lay mine down?
If it wasn't ok, we wouldn't do it. When laying the compressor on it's side, you have to make sure the suction port is on top. It will not pump any more oil if laying down versus standing up. Please refer to paragraph 1 on page 5 (Features) of the factory service manual.

How can I tell if mine is a right or left hand suction?
Stand the compressor up with the clutch facing your stomache. You'll have one fitting on the right and one on the left. The head should be marked with a "S" or "Suct" for suction and "D" or "Disch" for discharge.

If my compressor is standing up, does it matter if I use a left or right hand suction compressor?
No, it doesn't matter. However we stock a lot more right hand suction compressors than the left hand units so we'll probably ship you a right hand suction unit.

What type of fittings do I need for my compressor?
Flange head compressors use the 28723 fittings, Rotolock and Tube-O compressors use the 44760 fittings. Please refer to the "York ID" link to identify your compressor style.

Do I need a check valve?
No. This is an option. However, we do recommend the use of one if you're running an air tank. The compressor will leak some air when it's not running and the check valve will keep the pressure in the tank.

I've heard I need an unloader on my system. Is this correct? What is an unloader?
With engine driven compressors, you do not need the unloader. When equipped, the unloader will release the air pressure between the compressor and check valve. This is more commonly found on electric compressors that need help when starting up from a dead stop. By releasing the air pressure off the head of the compressor, the electric motor can spin up more quickly and easily, which requires less amperage on start up. On engine driven systems, your engine is already running. All you need to do is engage the clutch. Have you ever seen an air conditioning system with an unloader? No. If you did, it wouldn't have any freon left!

What is a safety valve? Do I need one?
If you ask me you do. It's a safety device designed to release the air pressure in your system very quickly in case the pressure switch fails to shut off. We offer one that is
adjustable so you can set it's "pop off" pressure where you need it.

What pressure should I set my safety valve at?
10-15 lbs above the cut off pressure of the pressure switch should be fine. You'll need to bypass the pressure switch to set the safety valve.

What is the difference between your QDM and QDF couplers?
Look at the hose connection on the back. The "M" has male threads, the "F" has female threads

Notice in the drawing there is an oil return kit. Basically the compressor spits just a little oil out as the compressor strokes. The filter catches the oil in a sump and now and then you just air up and flip the two valves and fill up your compressor again.

I'm not sure about the Vair compressors, but I know you can easily run air rachets and impact guns off off this system. The thing I was wondering is how much air does a factory compressor move? I think it would be so slick to have my 6banger with a factory AC compressor powering my air system when/if I get to installing bags. Jeep guys use their factory AC all the time. Heck its all there. Instead of moving freon its moving air. Not as powerful as the York, but will get it done.

Here is a bunch of Air Writeups I've found over the years. I think some of the links are dead and I'll probably have to delete them sometime, but anyways.
http://www.links4jeeps.com/index.php...aycat&catid=17

Last edited by augie; 04-09-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
Rigo's 70 C10

Re: York Air Compressors Identify and Rebuild

Guys,
Am i missing the point? I thought this was an air compressor, but every search i do for york 210 says its an AC compressor. Please enlighten me if i am mistaken.

thanks,
Rigo
Old 03-04-2009, 12:23 AM   #3
hotrodhomi

It is an AC compressor, but it can be used as an air compressor. it compresses the refrigerant just like an air compressor compresses air. The only thing you need to do is add a little oil because air does not contain the lubricating properties that the refrigerant does. I have one on my blazer. It works great, much better than an electric compressor.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
Rigo's 70 C10

How much oil,and how often? Where do u add the oil? Does anyone have a complete write up on how this would be or could be done?

Thanks,
Rigo
Old 03-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
fixit-p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigo's 70 C10 View Post
How much oil,and how often? Where do u add the oil? Does anyone have a complete write up on how this would be or could be done?

Thanks,
Rigo
I'm not an expert on this subject but I do know that a normal ac circuit gets its lubrication from the refrigerant which means there has to be a connection from the top end through the lower end for the lubricant to flow which also means the dischage side will also have oil. After reading this post, which I think is great I found a mod to plug this passage making the compressor a wet sump. http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/york_oilmod.html
Old 03-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
hotrodhomi

here is a good thread on yorks.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
hotrodhomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigo's 70 C10 View Post

Thanks,
Rigo
I check mine once week or so, but I don't fill it that often. You need to run 10-12 ounces of oil and use a dipstick to check it. http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/compressors.htm
Old 03-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #8
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Oh yeah I'm sure some of you guys have heard of the Oasis which I believe Dino over in the 60-66 area runs. Guess what that is? Its basically a York compressor with a DC motor connected to it. http://www.oasismfg.com/Choose.html

Last edited by kizer; 03-04-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #9
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixit-p View Post
I'm not an expert on this subject but I do know that a normal ac circuit gets its lubrication from the refrigerant which means there has to be a connection from the top end through the lower end for the lubricant to flow which also means the dischage side will also have oil. After reading this post, which I think is great I found a mod to plug this passage making the compressor a wet sump. http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/york_oilmod.html
Just keep in mind thats a very debatable solution. There have been many people that have done it and many that have been successful and many that say it can shorten the life of the compressor. Something about building up to much pressure in the case and not having a way for it to escape. Yadda, Yadda, Yadda. I've never done it myself
Old 03-06-2009, 06:04 AM   #10
Wilson_

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodhomi View Post
It is an AC compressor, but it can be used as an air compressor. it compresses the refrigerant just like an air compressor compresses air. The only thing you need to do is add a little oil because air does not contain the lubricating properties that the refrigerant does. I have one on my blazer. It works great, much better than an electric compressor.
Can you send me a pic of the bracket you have?
Thanks

Northern California Group

Met list: Cyclone, KCJones, TranzAm, extd56, hotrodhomi, mnky30, Rokcrln, Brad, JerryJones, Petey-pablo, 72Subby
Old 03-06-2009, 01:28 PM   #11
hotrodhomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson_ View Post
Can you send me a pic of the bracket you have?
Thanks
let me see if I can dig up a pic of just the bracket. Kevin (rokcrln) made this for me.

Last edited by hotrodhomi; 03-06-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #12
hotrodhomi

bracket pictures