The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2014, 09:54 PM   #1
LockDoc
The Original Thread Killer

 
LockDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montezuma, Iowa
Posts: 19,224
Making Keys For The 60 -66 Chevy Trucks

-
This "How To" is for the guys & gals that have a door handle with a lock for their 1960-1966 Chevy truck but no key. It is pretty straight forward but I have had a couple of people ask me how to get a key cut for them. First thing you have to do is remove the handle assembly from your door (if it isn't already out). (picture 1).... To remove the lock cylinder assembly push down on the top spring cup and remove the snap ring. (picture 2) Then slide the spring assembly out making sure to keep the parts in order. (picture 3) If you will notice the spring cups are different on each end of the spring. After you have the spring assembly out slide the lock cylinder and shaft out. You don't have to worry too much about this as it will only go back in one way…. On the cast piece just below the chrome cap you should find a code number stamped. (picture 4) If your local locksmith can't cut you a key from that code number that will fit the lock I can. It should also fit the ignition lock and glove box lock if none of the locks have been changed or replaced. I can't guarantee there will be a code number on every lock, but if there isn't, the chrome cap can be removed and a key made by "reading" the wafers in the cylinder.

If you have questions PM me.....

LockDoc
Attached Images
    
__________________
Leon

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

Last edited by LockDoc; 02-27-2019 at 04:33 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:15 PM   #2
Lowl!f3
Registered User
 
Lowl!f3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Crosby, Tx
Posts: 300
Re: Making Keys For The 60 -66 Chevy Trucks

thank you. wish i seen this before the locksmith destroy my ignition switch and still charged me $90
__________________
1965 C10 Project
Lowl!f3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:46 PM   #3
Softpatch
Registered User
 
Softpatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vashon WA
Posts: 880
Re: Making Keys For The 60 -66 Chevy Trucks

Lots of good info Thank for that
Soooo.... when you going to show us " How to make a Key".?

Come on
Don't make me beg
i live in an area that does not have a locksmith/shoe repairman or a dry cleaner
or traffic light's
we don't lock our car's or house and when we do the key is
"Under the mat/flower pot or on the visor"
__________________
My Spelling is Not Incorrect...It's 'Creative'
.
59 Viking Revival .. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632341
Softpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:06 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Original Thread Killer

 
LockDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montezuma, Iowa
Posts: 19,224
Re: Making Keys For The 60 -66 Chevy Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowl!f3 View Post
thank you. wish i seen this before the locksmith destroy my ignition switch and still charged me $90
I think that happens a lot. Most of the newer locksmiths don't have a clue how to work on the older stuff....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softpatch View Post
Lots of good info Thank for that
Soooo.... when you going to show us " How to make a Key".?

Come on
Don't make me beg
i live in an area that does not have a locksmith/shoe repairman or a dry cleaner
or traffic light's
we don't lock our car's or house and when we do the key is
"Under the mat/flower pot or on the visor"
I don't lock my vehicles either. If I go to the local restaurant or grocery store the key usually stays in the ignition.


Making a key is easy. First you buy an $800 Framon key machine that will cut keys by code, then you buy the $200 Code program to convert the code numbers on the locks to the cuts on the key blank, put the key blank in the machine, adjust the settings for the key you will be cutting and turn the switch on....

That is why I mentioned in my first post "If you can't find anyone in your area to cut a key from the code # or by reading the wafers let me know."...

There are probably other people on line that cut keys by code too.

LockDoc
__________________
Leon

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:17 PM   #5
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.
 
ChiefRocka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hollister, Ca.
Posts: 6,131
Re: Making Keys For The 60 -66 Chevy Trucks

It is people like you contributing that make this site that much more awesome !!

Thanks !!

I will need this soon.


So what you are offering, is if our local locksmith is an a$$hat, you can help us out ??

__________________
John

What the Heck is that ??
60-66 on FACEBOOK

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap
My DOOM Buggy Build
Project 'Z069' LS7 Powered '69 Stingray(Father-n-laws)
Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:07 AM   #6
LockDoc
The Original Thread Killer

 
LockDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montezuma, Iowa
Posts: 19,224
Re: Making Keys For The 60 -66 Chevy Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRocka View Post
It is people like you contributing that make this site that much more awesome !!

Thanks !!

I will need this soon.


So what you are offering, is if our local locksmith is an a$$hat, you can help us out ??


Thanks John. Yes, I can cut keys by code, or reading the wafers....

LockDoc
__________________
Leon

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

Last edited by LockDoc; 05-30-2014 at 12:00 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:09 AM   #7
Woogeroo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: blissful excommunication
Posts: 3,118
Re: Making Keys For The 60 -66 Chevy Trucks

Thanks LockDoc, this is golden information.

-W
__________________
Find answers for your 1960-1966 Chevrolet Truck Questions.

Matraca - my 1965 Chevrolet C10 lwb step side

I am unable to reply to send/reply Private Messages since October 2014, so I am not ignoring anyone. Please visit my linked pages above if you wish to ask me anything... I am no longer welcome on the forum, it is a simple fact, nothing more. shadowbanned!
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!
 
chevy_man5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nampa, Idaho
Posts: 1,573
Re: Making Keys For The 60 -66 Chevy Trucks

Kind of related, but you can have a lock redone to match a key too. My son and I took a lock button out of the drivers side of a junkyard truck, and had our local locksmith pull out the wafers and match them to his key. Put the lock button in the passenger door (upside down though), now we can unlock it from both sides.

Took him 5 minutes, and was like $20.
__________________
Jason

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread

1965 Chevy C-10 Sleeping Beauty (My Son's Truck)
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #9
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast
 
markeb01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Spokane Valley, WA
Posts: 8,315
Re: Making Keys For The 60 -66 Chevy Trucks

Thanks LockDoc for taking the time to photograph and document the process. These tutorials reach a lot of people that may never respond, but benefit from the information.
__________________
My Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444502
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:35 PM   #10
MikeS.
Registered User
 
MikeS.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: FarEastern WVa
Posts: 1,679
Re: Making Keys For The 60 -66 Chevy Trucks

Thanks man.
__________________
Past Master
Triluminar Lodge #117 GL of WVa

My 1963 4x4 Suburban build;
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=531274

My Gallery, now with pics of my 1966 C30 motorhome.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...&ppuser=103447
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:03 PM   #11
Dillon Rock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Everett, Washington
Posts: 374
Re: Making Keys For The 60 -66 Chevy Trucks

Very useful. I may look into this in the future.
__________________
That's the thing about a Chevrolet, no matter how they look, whether it be a trailer queen or a good ol' used farm truck, no other truck on the road will always look that damn good wearing a Bowtie.
Dillon Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:12 AM   #12
LockDoc
The Original Thread Killer

 
LockDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montezuma, Iowa
Posts: 19,224
Re: Making Keys For The 60 -66 Chevy Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woogeroo View Post
Thanks LockDoc, this is golden information.

-W
Thanks -Woog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_man5 View Post
Kind of related, but you can have a lock redone to match a key too. My son and I took a lock button out of the drivers side of a junkyard truck, and had our local locksmith pull out the wafers and match them to his key. Put the lock button in the passenger door (upside down though), now we can unlock it from both sides.

Took him 5 minutes, and was like $20.
I have done quite a few like that. Makes it a lot easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Thanks LockDoc for taking the time to photograph and document the process. These tutorials reach a lot of people that may never respond, but benefit from the information.
No problem, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS. View Post
Thanks man.
Glad to be able to do it Mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon Rock View Post
Very useful. I may look into this in the future.
Thanks.

LockDoc
__________________
Leon

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:36 AM   #13
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW
 
BR3W CITY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MKE WI
Posts: 7,125
Re: Making Keys For The 60 -66 Chevy Trucks

Does this is in any way give you the ability to IMPROVE these locks? I mean, right now the ol' screwdriver "master key" works pretty good. Wouldn't mind improving that.
__________________
'66 Short Step / SD Tuned / Big Cam LQ4 / Backhalfed /Built 4l80e / #REBUILDEVERYTHING

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:59 PM   #14
RANDY COX
Registered User
 
RANDY COX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: RADFORD, VA
Posts: 2,653
Re: Making Keys For The 60 -66 Chevy Trucks

That's some good info. I guess I got lucky my Key actually locks the doors and the glove box. I have locked it sometimes since I have a lot of tools in the floor board...
__________________
1964 BBC 402 4x4
RANDY COX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:34 PM   #15
LockDoc
The Original Thread Killer

 
LockDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montezuma, Iowa
Posts: 19,224
Re: Making Keys For The 60 -66 Chevy Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Does this is in any way give you the ability to IMPROVE these locks? I mean, right now the ol' screwdriver "master key" works pretty good. Wouldn't mind improving that.

If the locks are old and worn out, replacing the worn out tumblers and springs with new ones and cutting a new key to factory specifications would restore the locks original security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANDY COX View Post
That's some good info. I guess I got lucky my Key actually locks the doors and the glove box. I have locked it sometimes since I have a lot of tools in the floor board...
Thanks Randy. After that many years a person is lucky if all of the locks match on the truck. Usually something has been changed....

LockDoc
-
__________________
Leon

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:45 PM   #16
chad64chevy
Registered User
 
chad64chevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: tulsa,ok.
Posts: 1,788
Re: Making Keys For The 60 -66 Chevy Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Thanks LockDoc for taking the time to photograph and document the process. These tutorials reach a lot of people that may never respond, but benefit from the information.
I agree!!
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #17
MikeN
Registered User
 
MikeN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 615
Re: Making Keys For The 60 -66 Chevy Trucks

I learned how to make keys and re-code lock cylinders while working the parts counter at a Chevy dealership about 20 years ago. It's not too hard. If you find a dealership that still has an oldtimer behind the counter, there's a little hand-held device that will punch out a new key to match the coding of your lock cylinder. Easy to do and not too expensive.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:36 PM   #18
awbrown
Senior Member
 
awbrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Detroit MI
Posts: 1,194
Re: Making Keys For The 60 -66 Chevy Trucks

Funny this thread should pop up now.. I had to drive my 63 to work today because the brakes on my 97 were acting up.. Anyways I work in Detroit ,and hate the fact that mine doesn't lock .. I always make sure I have a clear shot from the store to see my truck .... It would sure be nice, then I would have to make my vent windows lock ,..lol
__________________
If ever the Time should come, when vain & aspiring Men shall possess the highest Seats in Government, our Country will stand in Need of its experienced Patriots to prevent its Ruin.
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:13 AM   #19
LockDoc
The Original Thread Killer

 
LockDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montezuma, Iowa
Posts: 19,224
Re: Making Keys For The 60 -66 Chevy Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
I agree!!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
I learned how to make keys and re-code lock cylinders while working the parts counter at a Chevy dealership about 20 years ago. It's not too hard. If you find a dealership that still has an oldtimer behind the counter, there's a little hand-held device that will punch out a new key to match the coding of your lock cylinder. Easy to do and not too expensive.
I have a couple of the Curtis hand held code cutters. One of them came from a closed dealership auction. You have to have the code book that goes with them too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awbrown View Post
Funny this thread should pop up now.. I had to drive my 63 to work today because the brakes on my 97 were acting up.. Anyways I work in Detroit ,and hate the fact that mine doesn't lock .. I always make sure I have a clear shot from the store to see my truck .... It would sure be nice, then I would have to make my vent windows lock ,..lol
I would go ahead and have keys made for the door locks, it would be a deterrent because of the time involved if they had to open the vent window and reach in to open the door....

LockDoc
__________________
Leon

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:50 PM   #20
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!
 
chevy_man5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nampa, Idaho
Posts: 1,573
Re: Making Keys For The 60 -66 Chevy Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by awbrown View Post
Funny this thread should pop up now.. I had to drive my 63 to work today because the brakes on my 97 were acting up.. Anyways I work in Detroit ,and hate the fact that mine doesn't lock .. I always make sure I have a clear shot from the store to see my truck .... It would sure be nice, then I would have to make my vent windows lock ,..lol
LMC has a lock for the vent windows. $9.95 a pair...

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cbe/full.aspx?Page=14
__________________
Jason

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread

1965 Chevy C-10 Sleeping Beauty (My Son's Truck)
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:28 PM   #21
oem4me
Senior Member

 
oem4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Burbank CA
Posts: 2,794
Re: Making Keys For The 60 -66 Chevy Trucks

Question for LockDoc: I've heard rumor that GM had far fewer codes for keys than one might expect. Say, like a couple hundred different keys TOTAL, for ALL makes and models. Thousands and thousands of vehicles built every year, and not anywhere near the same number when talking key differentiation.
Is this true? Can you tell by your key code book how many actual separate codes existed for our vehicles of that era?
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:58 PM   #22
LockDoc
The Original Thread Killer

 
LockDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montezuma, Iowa
Posts: 19,224
Re: Making Keys For The 60 -66 Chevy Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
Question for LockDoc: I've heard rumor that GM had far fewer codes for keys than one might expect. Say, like a couple hundred different keys TOTAL, for ALL makes and models. Thousands and thousands of vehicles built every year, and not anywhere near the same number when talking key differentiation.
Is this true? Can you tell by your key code book how many actual separate codes existed for our vehicles of that era?

For all GM vehicles from 1935 through 1966 there were 1499 different keys. For 1967 up there were about the same except that there were 4 different ignition keyways ("A", "C", "E", & "J") which effectively gave 5996 different keys for the ignitions.

LockDoc
__________________
Leon

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:29 AM   #23
oem4me
Senior Member

 
oem4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Burbank CA
Posts: 2,794
Re: Making Keys For The 60 -66 Chevy Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
For all GM vehicles from 1935 through 1966 there were 1499 different keys. For 1967 up there were about the same except that there were 4 different ignition keyways ("A", "C", "E", & "J") which effectively gave 5996 different keys for the ignitions.

LockDoc
Well imagine that ...an actual answer to something I've wondered about for many years. Very cool. Thanks!
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #24
MikeN
Registered User
 
MikeN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 615
Re: Making Keys For The 60 -66 Chevy Trucks

My uncle started going through all the keys he has saved from the Chevy's he has owned over the years, and trying them in the ignition of my 64 C10. I thought he was crazy. Sure enough, the somewhat larger square-headed key from a 76 Impala he used to own fits perfectly in my ignition, and starts the truck easily.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:33 PM   #25
bhc41051
Senior Member
 
bhc41051's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portsmouth OH
Posts: 652
Re: Making Keys For The 60 -66 Chevy Trucks

Sometime you're lucky and the key code is on the key.
Attached Images
 
bhc41051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com