The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2019, 11:55 PM   #1
72blu

1984 4 speed steering column help!

So today on the way to work I had the windshield washer/turn signal stock switch completely break on me. This isnt my first time tearing into a GM coulmn so I dove right in and started tearing it down to get access to the switch. Unfortunately for whatever reason I cant seem to find any information regarding how to remove the upper column housing on a 4 speed column. All the videos and posts ive followed show people breaking down automatic columns were all they do is remove the final four screws that secure it to the base and it simply seperates. For whatever reason mine wont separate even after ive removed the four screws.

Any help is appreciated and ive included a picture of the switch that broke on me
Attached Images

72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:19 AM   #2
72blu

Re: 1984 4 speed steering column help!

Here is another picture of where im at with the disassembly. Hopefully one of you will be able to offer some knowledge! Thanks again
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2019, 09:45 AM   #3
Big Moose

You have to remove the snap ring, not a lot of fun to put back together
Big Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:28 PM   #4
72blu

Thanks for the response!

So im having a hard time identifying this snap ring. There apears to be bearing of sorts as I can see the little balls within it. Does the whole bearing slide up the shaft? If it does how would I go about sliding it up. This is the first time ive delt with a standard column so im a little stumped on the differences.

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2019, 11:03 PM   #5
Big Moose

You may find some of these resources helpful
Big Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:33 PM   #6
72blu

Alright ive got an update that will put this thread to bed.

First off thank you again for providing that info.

Secondly, from this experience ive learned that standard columns are much trickier to disasemble then then the automatics. The clutch pedal and associated linkage makes it very difficult to work under the dash and its almost impossible to do without someone pulling down on the column in order to lossen the bracket that clamps down the high beam switch & ignition saftey switch. In order to separate the upper collar from the lower (to get at the wiper switch) you must first remove the blue ignition switch that is located at the bottom of the column right next to the high beam switch. This will allow you to get the rod free that connects the switch to the ignition lock. Once its free the entire collar will slide right off the column shaft. There are 3 phillips screws inside the collar that need to be takin out and then finnaly the two pieces (upper and lower collar) will separate giving you access to the windshield washer switch. Patience is key and nothing needed to be forced so keep that in mind while disassembling & reassembling.

Thanks again for the help & I hope this info helps someone else who may need it

Old 04-07-2019, 09:21 PM   #7
pitterpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72blu View Post
Alright ive got an update that will put this thread to bed.

First off thank you again for providing that info.

Secondly, from this experience ive learned that standard columns are much trickier to disasemble then then the automatics. The clutch pedal and associated linkage makes it very difficult to work under the dash and its almost impossible to do without someone pulling down on the column in order to lossen the bracket that clamps down the high beam switch & ignition saftey switch. In order to separate the upper collar from the lower (to get at the wiper switch) you must first remove the blue ignition switch that is located at the bottom of the column right next to the high beam switch. This will allow you to get the rod free that connects the switch to the ignition lock. Once its free the entire collar will slide right off the column shaft. There are 3 phillips screws inside the collar that need to be takin out and then finnaly the two pieces (upper and lower collar) will separate giving you access to the windshield washer switch. Patience is key and nothing needed to be forced so keep that in mind while disassembling & reassembling.

Thanks again for the help & I hope this info helps someone else who may need it
Thanks for the thorough info. I've got to do something to mine, my wipers barely work.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=783971
pitterpat is offline   Reply With Quote