The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2019, 02:47 PM   #1
04ls1gto

Flasher not working

Finishing up installing my aaw harness into my 71 c10 suburban and the flashers are not working. I have brake lights, with your foot on the brake, brake lights come on then turn left directional on and the light goes off. Right directional and the right light goes off. I am not hearing any clicking from flasher relay. Swapped it and still the same. Any thoughts?
04ls1gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:41 AM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Flasher not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ls1gto View Post
Finishing up installing my aaw harness into my 71 c10 suburban and the flashers are not working. I have brake lights, with your foot on the brake, brake lights come on then turn left directional on and the light goes off. Right directional and the right light goes off. I am not hearing any clicking from flasher relay. Swapped it and still the same. Any thoughts?
Your brake lights and the turn signal lights and the emergency flashers are all on different circuits. The lights that are coming on when you apply the brakes are the brake light circuit. When you select the left or right turn position, you are cutting the power to that light (brake) which is done internally by the turn signal switch.

You need to determine if the emergency flasher circuit has power and if the turn signal circuit has power.
You do that by selecting L or R turn or thee emergency flasher switch on the turn signal switch. I know this sounds simplistic, but there's more to it than that. If the turn lights do not come on when you do this, you will need to check the power wires in the column harness. They are located in the center of the column plug and they come from the fuse panel.
The emergency flasher wire is a brown wire and the turn signal wire is a purple wire.

Name:  turn signal .jpg
Views: 353
Size:  83.4 KB

The brown wire should be hot all the time and the purple wire is hot with the key on. The problem might be right in the plug itself. The white wire is power for the brake lights and it should have power all the time as well.

Check out what I've said and get back with us.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:46 PM   #3
04ls1gto

Thanks for the info, I had to change connector on truck side of steering column so I bet something is off or not seated all the way. I'll check it out after work tomorrow
Old 04-14-2019, 01:46 PM   #4
04ls1gto

Got the turn signals working again and figured out why the Dakota dash wasn't working. Thanks for the help

Funny story I went for a ride around the block and gas pedal died about 1/2 a mile from the shop. Had to idle back maybe 2 mph. A woman gardening in her from yard asked if I was in a parade.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:33 PM   #5
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ls1gto View Post
Got the turn signals working again and figured out why the Dakota dash wasn't working. Thanks for the help

Funny story I went for a ride around the block and gas pedal died about 1/2 a mile from the shop. Had to idle back maybe 2 mph. A woman gardening in her from yard asked if I was in a parade.

Thanks for the feedback!!!!!

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote